Locks up once and then is fine

bradbehrens

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
My system is exhibiting very odd behaviour. I have noticed that when I have it running for 20-30 minutes it is fine but then suddenly freezes and NOTHING is responsive. I have to hit the reset button. The everyhting is fine even when put to sleep. But the next time I turn the computer off for a while it returns to this behavior. I have already replaced the motherboard once becuase the original one they shipped locked up 50% of the time on initial boot up (so it definately was a different problem that I determined was a bad motherboard).

I am running Windows 7 clean install but have had a lot of problems with the ASUS software and drivers. The ATI Catalyst Control Center will not install and will not stop trying to install either. Not real happy with ASUS and Windows 7 right now. Internet Explorer crashes constantly but M$ says that it is an add-on and running IE without add-ons seems to bear this out. I have not yet figured out which add on is the culprit but this has not stopped the computer freeze problem.

Any ideas if it might be software, hardware or drivers or something else?

My system build is an

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core 3.4GHz
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe Motherboard
Zalman ZM660-XT 660W Modular Power Supply Unit
Scythe Zipang 2 Heatsink 1000rpm Cooler
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD4GX3M2A1600C8
ATI Radeon HD 4770 512Mb 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card (x2 in Crossfire)
Antec P183 Black Aluminum
Black Samsung SH-S223F SATA DVD Burner, 22x DVD+/-R, 16X DVD+R DL, 8X DVD+RW
120Gb SSD Primary Drive
500Gb Samsung HDD Data Drive

bradbehrens

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hmmm...

Interesting.

I updated my mobo BIOS once already because I had seen a problem with the original mobo (before I RMA'd it due to a boot issue) that a a specific BIOS update resolved and so this time just updated the BIOS because it resolved that one known problem on my mobo already. However, ASUS has come out with another BIOS update in the last month so I will try it and let you know if it solves my problem.

Losing confidence in ASUS M4A79T Deluxe and they have had BIOS updates at least once a month. Is that normal?!?

- BSB

bradbehrens

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

Updated the BIOS to the very latest and this problem persists. I have never seen anything like it.

Any other suggestions from anyone?!?