How to remove write protection on generic usb disk drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry56277

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I need to remove the "write protection" on my 64GB USB storage disk. I have too much to lose and all my backups for my profile are on here. I cannot write to it OR download from it. There is not a mechanical up or down flip switch. How it got write protected is beyond me. I only noticed this because my user profile became corrupted and I wanted to reinstall the programs from my USB drive back onto my profile. It says it is write protected and to remove it or use another disk. I don't have another disk. I'm using Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3 on an E machine 3.33 GHz.

Solution

I have found an old solution...

wiseman378

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

I have found an old solution that worked on my 64 gig USB drive. No need to modify registry or download software. Try this system fix:
Open a command prompt
type DISKPART press <enter>
type LIST VOLUME press <enter>
type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from. In my case is was Volume 6
type ATTRIBTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
you will see a prompt that the write protect has been removed
type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

Solution

ibrahimsharshar

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013

markam_1

Honorable
May 13, 2013

george thomas

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

This is the first fix that actually worked! Thanks!

CBooge325

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I have tried for a few days to remove write protection from a friend's pny 64gb flash drive...to no avail with all of the non-solutions that are all over the web claiming to remove write protection. I have finally found something that worked and very quickly at that! Don't listen to any of the regedit crap or command prompt jazz. download the program Ufix-II from the link below...It gave me an error the first time I ran it but the second time it worked in seconds!! It also says that it only works for drives up to 32gb, but I used it on a 64gb and it still worked perfectly!! Found the real solution on the Techspot website!!! It is an .rar file so you will also need winrar, 7zip or another program that opens .rar files

http://www.pny.com.tw/index.php?cls=2&mode=download

Hope this helps anyone in need!!!

Nick Vaccaro

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Remove Windoze, install Linux. Win7 had too many stupid surprises for me, like copying between usb disks can freeze system, like your browser using shockwave can freeze system, and like opening an image file with irvanview can make your task bar disappear, like IE an use 90% CPU, etc etc etc.

There is a file called fixpart.zip on a Skydrive that fixes the RO disk problem.

Mitch1234

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

How do you find volume?

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

I disagree 100%.

This worked:

wiseman378 said:
Try this system fix:
Open a command prompt
type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from. In my case is was Volume 6
type ATTRIBTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
type EXIT press <enter>

becki22061979

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014
Morning all, I'm having the same problem. Purchased an Olkya 16GB usb yesterday was able to copy onto usb, go to use it this morning and it says it is write protected. I have tried the following where Volume X = 4.

Open a command prompt
type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
type EXIT press <enter>

Is it something I have done? Don't really want to go out and have to buy another. Help is much appreciated.

dp_rc

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014

dp_rc

Reputable
Jul 9, 2014
SORRY TRIED EACH AND EVERY STEP AS U SAID UNTIL FINAL STEP IT IS OKAY BUT IN THE FINAL STEP WHILE TYPING ATTRIBTES DISK CLEAN READONLY I AM GETTING THE LIST OF COMMANDS PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS AND HELP ME OUT OF THIS

Penguin44

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

I have just found this site and had a similar result to you. I had NOT typed SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the number of the drive previously shown. I had neglected to type select. Then make sure that you spell attributes with an U in it. It all worked for me when I followed the instructions.

Smcrew

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014
Open a command prompt
type ATTRIBTUES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
type EXIT press <enter>

Worked For me

Smcrew

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014
Open a command prompt
type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from. In my case it was Volume 5
type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
type EXIT press <enter>

Try Once more

BobEagle

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

advoigor

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014

Hi, all.
But my problem is not fixed yet

advoigor

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
Windows 7 is asking me to fix usb disk. I am allowed, he fixed it. Since then, my usb drive is "write protected". I spent the procedure, I have see a prompt that the write protect has been removed. Nevertheless, it is still "write protected"

Status
Not open for further replies.