Tags:
  • Flash Media
  • USB
  • Write Protection
  • Disk Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 24, 2011 10:39:04 PM

hello short and sweet, i need to remove the " write protection " on my 64 gb usb storage disk. i have tooooo much to lose and all my backups for my profile are on here and i cannot write to it OR download from it. there is NOT a mechanical up or down flip switch only to plug and play and thats all there is to it. how it got write protected is beyond me. i only noticed this bcuz my user profile had gotten corrupt and i wanted to reinstall the programs from my usb drive back onto my profile. says it write protected and to remove it or use another disk. i dont have another disk or anything. im using windows Xp pro, service pack 3 on an E machine 3.33 ghz . please help- me folks thanks in advance, HB

More about : remove write protection generic usb disk drive

Best solution

February 25, 2013 6:39:55 PM

henry56277 said:
hello short and sweet, i need to remove the " write protection " on my 64 gb usb storage disk. i have tooooo much to lose and all my backups for my profile are on here and i cannot write to it OR download from it. there is NOT a mechanical up or down flip switch only to plug and play and thats all there is to it. how it got write protected is beyond me. i only noticed this bcuz my user profile had gotten corrupt and i wanted to reinstall the programs from my usb drive back onto my profile. says it write protected and to remove it or use another disk. i dont have another disk or anything. im using windows Xp pro, service pack 3 on an E machine 3.33 ghz . please help- me folks thanks in advance, HB

I have found an old solution that worked on my 64 gig USB drive. No need to modify registry or download software. Try this system fix:
Open a command prompt
type DISKPART press <enter>
type LIST VOLUME press <enter>
type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from. In my case is was Volume 6
type ATTRIBTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
you will see a prompt that the write protect has been removed
type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!
Related resources
February 25, 2013 6:41:28 PM

Sorry slight typo.. the command is ATTRIBUTES
m
l
April 5, 2013 7:38:17 AM

henry56277 said:

m
l
May 13, 2013 9:41:03 AM

henry56277 said:

m
l
June 7, 2013 1:33:22 AM

henry56277 said:

m
l
July 7, 2013 1:31:14 PM

wiseman378 said:
Try this system fix:
Open a command prompt
type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from. In my case is was Volume 6
type EXIT press <enter> Good luck!

This is the first fix that actually worked! Thanks!
m
l
September 3, 2013 9:04:51 PM

I have tried for a few days to remove write protection from a friend's pny 64gb flash drive...to no avail with all of the non-solutions that are all over the web claiming to remove write protection. I have finally found something that worked and very quickly at that! Don't listen to any of the regedit crap or command prompt jazz. download the program Ufix-II from the link below...It gave me an error the first time I ran it but the second time it worked in seconds!! It also says that it only works for drives up to 32gb, but I used it on a 64gb and it still worked perfectly!! Found the real solution on the Techspot website!!! It is an .rar file so you will also need winrar, 7zip or another program that opens .rar files

http://www.pny.com.tw/index.php?cls=2&mode=download

Hope this helps anyone in need!!!
m
l
February 25, 2014 10:15:08 AM

Remove Windoze, install Linux. Win7 had too many stupid surprises for me, like copying between usb disks can freeze system, like your browser using shockwave can freeze system, and like opening an image file with irvanview can make your task bar disappear, like IE an use 90% CPU, etc etc etc.

There is a file called fixpart.zip on a Skydrive that fixes the RO disk problem.
m
l
March 26, 2014 1:41:32 AM

wiseman378 said:
henry56277 said:

I have found an old solution that worked on my 64 gig USB drive. No need to modify registry or download software. Try this system fix:
Open a command prompt
type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

How do you find volume?
m
l
June 22, 2014 1:01:48 AM

useless, buy another one.
m
l
June 22, 2014 1:10:01 AM

deyamag said:
useless, buy another one.

I disagree 100%.

This worked:

wiseman378 said:
Try this system fix:
Open a command prompt
type EXIT press <enter>

m
l
June 27, 2014 11:32:38 PM

Morning all, I'm having the same problem. Purchased an Olkya 16GB usb yesterday was able to copy onto usb, go to use it this morning and it says it is write protected. I have tried the following where Volume X = 4.

Open a command prompt
type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
type EXIT press <enter>

Is it something I have done? Don't really want to go out and have to buy another. Help is much appreciated.
m
l
July 9, 2014 2:53:09 AM

wiseman378 said:
henry56277 said:

Open a command prompt
type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

m
l
July 9, 2014 2:58:52 AM

SORRY TRIED EACH AND EVERY STEP AS U SAID UNTIL FINAL STEP IT IS OKAY BUT IN THE FINAL STEP WHILE TYPING ATTRIBTES DISK CLEAN READONLY I AM GETTING THE LIST OF COMMANDS PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS AND HELP ME OUT OF THIS
m
l
July 10, 2014 6:38:21 PM

dp_rc said:
SORRY TRIED EACH AND EVERY STEP AS U SAID UNTIL FINAL STEP IT IS OKAY BUT IN THE FINAL STEP WHILE TYPING ATTRIBTES DISK CLEAN READONLY I AM GETTING THE LIST OF COMMANDS PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS AND HELP ME OUT OF THIS

I have just found this site and had a similar result to you. I had NOT typed SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the number of the drive previously shown. I had neglected to type select. Then make sure that you spell attributes with an U in it. It all worked for me when I followed the instructions.
m
l
July 11, 2014 11:37:20 AM

Open a command prompt
type ATTRIBTUES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
type EXIT press <enter>

Worked For me
m
l
July 11, 2014 11:40:26 AM

Open a command prompt
type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from. In my case it was Volume 5
type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
type EXIT press <enter>

Try Once more
m
l
August 4, 2014 2:24:47 PM

format disk NTFS . this worked for me
m
l
August 14, 2014 6:46:27 PM

wiseman378 said:
henry56277 said:

Open a command prompt
type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

m
l
August 14, 2014 6:48:46 PM

Hello Wiseman378... Your solution was right on the mark! Thanks for the easiest way to fix this horrible little problem...(u d man) ! Thanks
m
l
September 14, 2014 2:20:04 AM

BobEagle said:
Hello Wiseman378... Your solution was right on the mark! Thanks for the easiest way to fix this horrible little problem...(u d man) ! Thanks

Hi, all.
But my problem is not fixed yet
m
l
September 14, 2014 2:31:12 AM

Windows 7 is asking me to fix usb disk. I am allowed, he fixed it. Since then, my usb drive is "write protected". I spent the procedure, I have see a prompt that the write protect has been removed. Nevertheless, it is still "write protected"
m
l
October 11, 2014 12:33:03 PM

Thanks to wiseman378 for the "diskpart" solution however I have found this to be a temporary fix. Somehow, my external drive becomes write protected again and I redo the "diskpart" script. It defeats trying to run auto backups. Anyone have a permanent fix?
m
l
18 minutes ago

Mitch1234 said:
wiseman378 said:
henry56277 said:

Open a command prompt
type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

How do you find volume?

type in: list volume after you get to diskpart
m
l
!