Solved

How to remove write protection on generic usb disk drive

I need to remove the "write protection" on my 64GB USB storage disk. I have too much to lose and all my backups for my profile are on here. I cannot write to it OR download from it. There is not a mechanical up or down flip switch. How it got write protected is beyond me. I only noticed this because my user profile became corrupted and I wanted to reinstall the programs from my USB drive back onto my profile. It says it is write protected and to remove it or use another disk. I don't have another disk. I'm using Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3 on an E machine 3.33 GHz.
Reply to henry56277
53 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about remove write protection generic disk drive
  1. Best answer
    henry56277 said:
    hello short and sweet, i need to remove the " write protection " on my 64 gb usb storage disk. i have tooooo much to lose and all my backups for my profile are on here and i cannot write to it OR download from it. there is NOT a mechanical up or down flip switch only to plug and play and thats all there is to it. how it got write protected is beyond me. i only noticed this bcuz my user profile had gotten corrupt and i wanted to reinstall the programs from my usb drive back onto my profile. says it write protected and to remove it or use another disk. i dont have another disk or anything. im using windows Xp pro, service pack 3 on an E machine 3.33 ghz . please help- me folks thanks in advance, HB

I have found an old solution that worked on my 64 gig USB drive. No need to modify registry or download software. Try this system fix:
    Open a command prompt
    type DISKPART press <enter>
    type LIST VOLUME press <enter>
    type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from. In my case is was Volume 6
    type ATTRIBTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
    you will see a prompt that the write protect has been removed
    type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!
    Reply to wiseman378
  2. Sorry slight typo.. the command is ATTRIBUTES
    Reply to wiseman378
  3. henry56277 said:
    hello short and sweet, i need to remove the " write protection " on my 64 gb usb storage disk. i have tooooo much to lose and all my backups for my profile are on here and i cannot write to it OR download from it. there is NOT a mechanical up or down flip switch only to plug and play and thats all there is to it. how it got write protected is beyond me. i only noticed this bcuz my user profile had gotten corrupt and i wanted to reinstall the programs from my usb drive back onto my profile. says it write protected and to remove it or use another disk. i dont have another disk or anything. im using windows Xp pro, service pack 3 on an E machine 3.33 ghz . please help- me folks thanks in advance, HB
    Reply to ibrahimsharshar
  4. henry56277 said:
    Reply to markam_1
  5. henry56277 said:
    Reply to george thomas
  6. wiseman378 said:
    Try this system fix:
    Open a command prompt
    type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from. In my case is was Volume 6
    type EXIT press <enter> Good luck!

This is the first fix that actually worked! Thanks!
    Reply to dg27
  7. I have tried for a few days to remove write protection from a friend's pny 64gb flash drive...to no avail with all of the non-solutions that are all over the web claiming to remove write protection. I have finally found something that worked and very quickly at that! Don't listen to any of the regedit crap or command prompt jazz. download the program Ufix-II from the link below...It gave me an error the first time I ran it but the second time it worked in seconds!! It also says that it only works for drives up to 32gb, but I used it on a 64gb and it still worked perfectly!! Found the real solution on the Techspot website!!! It is an .rar file so you will also need winrar, 7zip or another program that opens .rar files

http://www.pny.com.tw/index.php?cls=2&mode=download

Hope this helps anyone in need!!!
    Reply to CBooge325
  8. Remove Windoze, install Linux. Win7 had too many stupid surprises for me, like copying between usb disks can freeze system, like your browser using shockwave can freeze system, and like opening an image file with irvanview can make your task bar disappear, like IE an use 90% CPU, etc etc etc.

There is a file called fixpart.zip on a Skydrive that fixes the RO disk problem.
    Reply to Nick Vaccaro
  9. wiseman378 said:
    henry56277 said:

I have found an old solution that worked on my 64 gig USB drive. No need to modify registry or download software. Try this system fix:
    Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

How do you find volume?
    Reply to Mitch1234
  10. useless, buy another one.
    Reply to deyamag
  11. deyamag said:
    useless, buy another one.

I disagree 100%.

This worked:

wiseman378 said:
    Try this system fix:
    Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter>
    Reply to dg27
  12. Morning all, I'm having the same problem. Purchased an Olkya 16GB usb yesterday was able to copy onto usb, go to use it this morning and it says it is write protected. I have tried the following where Volume X = 4.

Open a command prompt
    type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
    type EXIT press <enter>

Is it something I have done? Don't really want to go out and have to buy another. Help is much appreciated.
    Reply to becki22061979
  13. wiseman378 said:
    henry56277 said:

Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!
    Reply to dp_rc
  14. SORRY TRIED EACH AND EVERY STEP AS U SAID UNTIL FINAL STEP IT IS OKAY BUT IN THE FINAL STEP WHILE TYPING ATTRIBTES DISK CLEAN READONLY I AM GETTING THE LIST OF COMMANDS PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS AND HELP ME OUT OF THIS
    Reply to dp_rc
  15. dp_rc said:
    SORRY TRIED EACH AND EVERY STEP AS U SAID UNTIL FINAL STEP IT IS OKAY BUT IN THE FINAL STEP WHILE TYPING ATTRIBTES DISK CLEAN READONLY I AM GETTING THE LIST OF COMMANDS PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS AND HELP ME OUT OF THIS

I have just found this site and had a similar result to you. I had NOT typed SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the number of the drive previously shown. I had neglected to type select. Then make sure that you spell attributes with an U in it. It all worked for me when I followed the instructions.
    Reply to Penguin44
  16. Open a command prompt
    type ATTRIBTUES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
    type EXIT press <enter>

Worked For me
    Reply to Smcrew
  17. Open a command prompt
    type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume number you want to remove the write protect from. In my case it was Volume 5
    type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY press <enter>
    type EXIT press <enter>

Try Once more
    Reply to Smcrew
  18. format disk NTFS . this worked for me
    Reply to pockinel
  19. wiseman378 said:
    henry56277 said:

Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!
    Reply to BobEagle
  20. Hello Wiseman378... Your solution was right on the mark! Thanks for the easiest way to fix this horrible little problem...(u d man) ! Thanks
    Reply to BobEagle
  21. BobEagle said:
    Hello Wiseman378... Your solution was right on the mark! Thanks for the easiest way to fix this horrible little problem...(u d man) ! Thanks

Hi, all.
    But my problem is not fixed yet
    Reply to advoigor
  22. Windows 7 is asking me to fix usb disk. I am allowed, he fixed it. Since then, my usb drive is "write protected". I spent the procedure, I have see a prompt that the write protect has been removed. Nevertheless, it is still "write protected"
    Reply to advoigor
  23. Thanks to wiseman378 for the "diskpart" solution however I have found this to be a temporary fix. Somehow, my external drive becomes write protected again and I redo the "diskpart" script. It defeats trying to run auto backups. Anyone have a permanent fix?
    Reply to howlinwoofer
  24. Mitch1234 said:
    wiseman378 said:
    henry56277 said:

Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

How do you find volume?

type in: list volume after you get to diskpart
    Reply to Mattfreestyle13
  25. wiseman378 said:
    henry56277 said:

Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

I tried this but didnt work, after the attributes disk clear readonly step i got the message "Disk attributes cleared successfully." My flash drive was still write protected afterwards though
    Reply to Dynamites
  26. same problem dear.. I have tried everything but no permanent solution got yet :( :(:??:
    Reply to ofaiz
  27. wiseman378 said:
    henry56277 said:

Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

thank you it work
    Reply to Gbenga Famodun
  28. this has solved my problem.... tnx
    \

Method 3 of 7: Adjusting the Registry (Windows)
    1Understand the risks. Windows operating systems have a "registry" which contains a great deal of important information. An error here could be making all memory cards and USB drives read-only. While the steps below will safely locate and correct this problem if present, do not change any other settings inside the registry editor, or you could make your operating system unusable.
    Backing up your registry is recommended before editing it.
    Disable Write Protection Step 2 Version 2.jpg
    2Open the registry editor. You can access the registry editor by entering regedit into the Search field in your Start menu. Windows 8 users can type regedit when viewing the Start screen. Press enter on your keyboard to search, then open "Registry Editor" when it appears.
    If you can't find it, try searching for registry error or registry errors instead.
    Disable Write Protection Step 3 Version 2.jpg
    3Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. This folder can be found in the Computer section of the registry editor, in the left frame. Click the arrow next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand the folder.
    4Navigate to the correct folder. Inside the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, find and open the SYSTEM folder, then CurrentControlSet, then Control. Finally, scroll down until you find the StorageDevicePolicies folder. If this folder does not exist, see the next step.
    Disable Write Protection Step 5 Version 2.jpg
    5Create the StorageDevicePolicies folder if it doesn’t exist. If you cannot find the StorageDevicePolicies folder, then you will need to create one before continuing. Right-click in the blank space in the Control folder. Select New, and then Key. Label it StorageDevicePolicies without spaces, exactly as shown here.
    Disable Write Protection Step 4 Version 2.jpg
    6Change or create the "WriteProtect" entry to 0. Double click on the "WriteProtect" key in the StorageDevicePolicies folder. Change the “Value data” field from 1 to 0. Press OK. If you created a new StorageDevicePolicies folder, follow these steps instead:
    Open the new StorageDevicePolicies folder, then right-click in a blank space. Select New, and then DWORD (32-bit) value. Name the new file WriteProtect. Double-click WriteProtect to open it, and put 0 in the value field. Press OK.
    You must type each entry exactly, including capitalization, otherwise the key will not work.
    Disable Write Protection Step 6 Version 2.jpg
    7Reboot your computer. In order for the registry changes to take effect, you will need to reboot your computer. Save all of your work before rebooting.
    Reply to wizardaks
  29. Method 3 of 7: Adjusting the Registry (Windows)
    1Understand the risks. Windows operating systems have a "registry" which contains a great deal of important information. An error here could be making all memory cards and USB drives read-only. While the steps below will safely locate and correct this problem if present, do not change any other settings inside the registry editor, or you could make your operating system unusable.
    Backing up your registry is recommended before editing it.
    Disable Write Protection Step 2 Version 2.jpg
    2Open the registry editor. You can access the registry editor by entering regedit into the Search field in your Start menu. Windows 8 users can type regedit when viewing the Start screen. Press enter on your keyboard to search, then open "Registry Editor" when it appears.
    If you can't find it, try searching for registry error or registry errors instead.
    Disable Write Protection Step 3 Version 2.jpg
    3Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. This folder can be found in the Computer section of the registry editor, in the left frame. Click the arrow next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand the folder.
    4Navigate to the correct folder. Inside the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, find and open the SYSTEM folder, then CurrentControlSet, then Control. Finally, scroll down until you find the StorageDevicePolicies folder. If this folder does not exist, see the next step.
    Disable Write Protection Step 5 Version 2.jpg
    5Create the StorageDevicePolicies folder if it doesn’t exist. If you cannot find the StorageDevicePolicies folder, then you will need to create one before continuing. Right-click in the blank space in the Control folder. Select New, and then Key. Label it StorageDevicePolicies without spaces, exactly as shown here.
    Disable Write Protection Step 4 Version 2.jpg
    6Change or create the "WriteProtect" entry to 0. Double click on the "WriteProtect" key in the StorageDevicePolicies folder. Change the “Value data” field from 1 to 0. Press OK. If you created a new StorageDevicePolicies folder, follow these steps instead:
    Open the new StorageDevicePolicies folder, then right-click in a blank space. Select New, and then DWORD (32-bit) value. Name the new file WriteProtect. Double-click WriteProtect to open it, and put 0 in the value field. Press OK.
    You must type each entry exactly, including capitalization, otherwise the key will not work.
    Disable Write Protection Step 6 Version 2.jpg
    7Reboot your computer. In order for the registry changes to take effect, you will need to reboot your computer. Save all of your work before rebooting.
    Reply to wizardaks
  30. THANK YOU VERY MUCH Gbenga Famodun.It works MAN ! thank you more !
    Reply to E-STARS
  31. go to properties of the device -> sharing -> advanced sharing -> permission -> check all the tickbox -> apply/ok. this work for me
    Reply to Agi Egia
  32. I have found an old solution that worked on my 64 gig USB drive. No need to modify registry or download software. Try this system fix:
    Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

This work for me. To the people whose USB are still write-protected after having done this, try unplug the USB and plug it in again.
    Reply to chaungochan1107
  33. dg27 said:
    wiseman378 said:
    Try this system fix:
    Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter> Good luck!

This is the first fix that actually worked! Thanks!

This fix has acctualy made my thumb drive useless. System no longer reconizes it '
    Reply to lykouse2012
  34. Right click the drive
    > Properties
    > Sharing
    > Advanced Sharing
    > check Share This Folder
    > Permissions
    > check Full Control under Allow column
    Reply to Dre Konrad
  35. wiseman378 said:

Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

Its says disk attributes cleared succesfully. I stil cant format the disk becuase it has the write protection.
    Reply to David_262
  36. I tryed all this steps and still can't format, same thing happens!

David_262 said:
    wiseman378 said:

Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

Its says disk attributes cleared succesfully. I stil cant format the disk becuase it has the write protection.
    Reply to Rodrigo_666
  37. Go to http://us.apacer.com/support/download/result/3,8,0 and choose "USB3.0 Repair tool"). Download it and unzip the file.

- Connect the usb stick with your pc

- Click "Restore.exe"

- Click "Restore"

- Click again on "Restore"

- You will see "Are you sure you want to continue?". Click "yes"

- Now you will see "Restoring Device", wait till the program finish his job

- After that you will see "Restore Completed" en "Please replug device before use", click on "OK", unplug the stick and put it back again in your pc.
    Reply to hadron
  38. hadron said:
    Go to http://us.apacer.com/support/download/result/3,8,0 and choose "USB3.0 Repair tool"). Download it and unzip the file.

- Click "Restore.exe"

- Click "Restore"

- After that you will see "Restore Completed" en "Please replug device before use", click on "OK", unplug the stick and put it back again in your pc.
    Reply to Joven_1
  39. hadron said:
    Go to http://us.apacer.com/support/download/result/3,8,0 and choose "USB3.0 Repair tool"). Download it and unzip the file.

- Click "Restore.exe"

- Click "Restore"

YOU SAVED ME FROM THROWING MY USB YOUR THE MAN!!! all other fix did not work.
    Reply to apamular
  40. apamular said:
    hadron said:

- Click "Restore.exe"

- Click "Restore"

You welcome. I'm glad it worked!

The usb stick will return to the factory settings, probably in exFAT. In that case, you can't copy large files to the stick, so you have to format it to NTFS.
    Reply to hadron
  41. wiseman378 said:
    henry56277 said:

Open a command prompt
    type EXIT press <enter>

Good luck!

Hey, i have the same problem but when i try your solution it doesn't remove write protection. Can you please help we!
    Reply to Mitko25
  42. hadron said:

- Click "Restore.exe"
    - Click "Restore"

Thank you. That allowed me to format my disk. It was scary because the utility does not tell you which disk it is about to format. I was scared it would format my system disk, but it did format my only USB drive on G:.

The utility crashed part way (perhaps because my disk was from Verbatim not Apacer) but afterwards I was able to use the usual Windows format utility which I had not been able to use before since the disk was write protected.

I have a new 128GB disk on order but until that arrives I can keep using my USB 3.0 disk.
    Reply to timtak
  43. hadron said:

- Click "Restore.exe"

- Click "Restore"

Thanks man. You saved my usb. I was ready to throw it away. all the other things didn`t work. It failed so many times that i didn`t believe anymore that is gonna be solved. Thanks again.
    For the others, use this method with fully trust.
    Reply to Bogdanovicis
  44. CBooge325 said:
    I have tried for a few days to remove write protection from a friend's pny 64gb flash drive...to no avail with all of the non-solutions that are all over the web claiming to remove write protection. I have finally found something that worked and very quickly at that! Don't listen to any of the regedit crap or command prompt jazz. download the program Ufix-II from the link below...It gave me an error the first time I ran it but the second time it worked in seconds!! It also says that it only works for drives up to 32gb, but I used it on a 64gb and it still worked perfectly!! Found the real solution on the Techspot website!!! It is an .rar file so you will also need winrar, 7zip or another program that opens .rar files

http://www.pny.com.tw/index.php?cls=2&mode=download

Hope this helps anyone in need!!!
    Reply to Dolphinebabe
  45. If i download it then what
    Reply to Dolphinebabe
  46. apamular said:
    hadron said:

- Click "Restore.exe"

- Click "Restore"

Reply to Dolphinebabe
  47. mine is not showing restore.exe
    Reply to Dolphinebabe
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Flash Media Storage USB Write Protection Disk Drive