What is HKLM?

September 21, 2004 7:46:19 PM

In the startup tab of the configuration utility, I find a lot of files I
know nothing about. Many of them are located at a place which starts out
"HKLM. . ."

I cannot find HKLM folders or files any place on my computer.

Can someone educate me? Thanks

More about : hklm

Anonymous
September 21, 2004 7:46:20 PM

"Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote in message
> In the startup tab of the configuration utility, I find a lot of files I
> know nothing about. Many of them are located at a place which starts out
> "HKLM. . ."
>
> I cannot find HKLM folders or files any place on my computer.
>
> Can someone educate me? Thanks

It's part of the Windows registry. To edit it, you go to start -- run, and
type regedit.

When you make changes to the registry, you don't get that "are you sure???"
message that you get when you make changes to other files. Registry changes
are effective as soon as you make them, so if you're going to edit the
registry, make sure you know what you're doing. If you mess it up, you could
wind up with a computer that doesn't start.

You can make a backup to the registry, but if the computer isn't starting,
getting things back can be tricky.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:51:41 PM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

How to manage Windows Startup?:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Startup.htm

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"Gordon Nelson" <popop3@verizon.net> wrote in message
In the startup tab of the configuration utility, I find a lot of files I
know nothing about. Many of them are located at a place which starts out
"HKLM. . ."

I cannot find HKLM folders or files any place on my computer.

Can someone educate me? Thanks
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 10:43:55 PM

Gordon Nelson wrote:
> In the startup tab of the configuration utility, I find a lot of
> files I know nothing about. Many of them are located at a place which
> starts out "HKLM. . ."
>
> I cannot find HKLM folders or files any place on my computer.
>
> Can someone educate me? Thanks

Registry key.. HKey Local Machine.

Go to http://winguides.com/ and read up on registry editing.

--
<- Shenan ->
May 3, 2012 3:44:48 AM

Quote:

In the startup tab of the configuration utility, I find a lot of files I
know nothing about. Many of them are located at a place which starts out
"HKLM. . ."

I cannot find HKLM folders or files any place on my computer.

Can someone educate me? Thanks

I was browsing around and read the "vague" responses, as everyone pointed out in their own cryptic way it can be dangerous to your pc's health to delete the files or the .log files though your question wasn't answered straight out. Here is what you were looking for, although you surely found the answer somewhere else after failing to gain knowledge from the respondents.
"The Registry is stored in several files; depending upon the version of Windows, there will be different files and different locations for these files, but they are all on the local machine, except for the NTuser or user file which may be placed on another computer to allow for roaming profiles.

Windows NT, 2000, XP, and Server 2003

The following Registry files are stored in %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\:

* Sam - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM
* Security - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY
* Software - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
* System - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM
Better late than never
!