Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't get IDE secondary hard drive to fit in motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
July 4, 2010 2:28:20 PM

I built this machine about two months back. It works great. Motherboard is a P7P55D Pro.

I noticed my primary SATA hard drive was running out of space the other day and fumbled around, finding an old IDE hard drive.

On the motherboard is a primary EIDE slot which is where I'm supposed to plug the hard drive in, however, this is where problems begin.

There is not enough space for the connector to be plugged into the mobo. Straight up. The chipset heatsync sticks out and only leaves a couple of centimeters of space which is conveniently not enough for the connector.... any ideas? Pictures of a generic p7p55d pro mobo below. Not mine.

The EIDE slot is right by the tip of the heatsink, adjacent to the power input to the mobo.
July 4, 2010 2:30:49 PM

...err...dude, you plug it in on the outside of the board, not the inside.
m
l
July 4, 2010 2:34:45 PM

Re-read it. If you meant that it blocks your Hard Drive from sliding in properly, and not the IDE cable, use a different HDD bay.
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2010 8:30:37 PM

Then what's the EIDE slot for? I want the hard drive to be inside the computer...

The chipset heatsync (that crazy shaped thing) blocks the EIDE primary input. The first pic shows it.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2010 8:52:39 PM

Peril said:
Then what's the EIDE slot for? I want the hard drive to be inside the computer...

The chipset heatsync (that crazy shaped thing) blocks the EIDE primary input. The first pic shows it.

What I think he is trying to tell you is the it is a 90 degree angle and the cable plugs in from the side of the MOBO not the top - the EIDE wire plugs in between the side of the MOBO and the case not on top of the MOBO -- IF there is not room to plug it in you may need to remove the MOBO frrom the case -pllug it in and then reinstall the MOBO !!

a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2010 9:25:05 PM

Peril said:
I built this machine about two months back. It works great. Motherboard is a P7P55D Pro.

I noticed my primary SATA hard drive was running out of space the other day and fumbled around, finding an old IDE hard drive.

On the motherboard is a primary EIDE slot which is where I'm supposed to plug the hard drive in, however, this is where problems begin.

There is not enough space for the connector to be plugged into the mobo. Straight up. The chipset heatsync sticks out and only leaves a couple of centimeters of space which is conveniently not enough for the connector.... any ideas? Pictures of a generic p7p55d pro mobo below. Not mine.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=19079
http://www.techie.com.ph/images/articles/news/2009/09/asus_p55/asus_p7p55d_main2.jpg

The EIDE slot is right by the tip of the heatsink, adjacent to the power input to the mobo.

Hmmm. Damned ASUS boards anyway, right? :sarcastic: 
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 4, 2010 10:50:00 PM

...just when 'ya think 'ya seen everything...
m
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
July 4, 2010 11:44:15 PM

To be a geek, one must maintain his/her sense of humor at all times. Thanks for the laugh on the 4th!!! Almost as much fun as fireworks....

I have had similar questions in the past. A couple of years ago while I was deployed, the wife bought a new printer. She was so proud, but couldn't get it to work. So, she broke down and called me for help. After 30 minutes of getting no where, I asked "did you turn the printer on?". There was a long pause (I thought the connection dropped) only to followed with "the instructions never said to do that". The "I love yous" followed and we agreed to never speak of the incident again.

HOOAH!!!
m
l
a c 222 V Motherboard
July 4, 2010 11:45:58 PM

Still....it would have been cool to see how Peril was going to jam the cable into the other side. Peril....don't sweat it. We have all been there, buddy. Any true geek that says otherwise isn't being truthful.
m
l
July 5, 2010 2:52:43 AM

...Doh

Thanks...
m
l
July 5, 2010 3:21:40 AM

Wait... jam? I was going to put it into the side with the prongs...
m
l
July 5, 2010 3:16:32 PM

Best answer selected by Peril.
m
l
!