SLI 9600GT / DVI to HDMI / LCD TV 120 HZ

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • TV
  • HDMI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
December 16, 2009 8:11:18 PM

So my concern is that I will not be able to get the full functionality with the new tv I've purchased, the tv is yet to be delivered so I'm trying to get some info before I get it for the setup.

TV
Phillips 42" class Full HD 1080p digital TV
Model #: 42PFL6704D/F7

http://www.consumer.philips.com/c/televisions-6000-seri...

CPU
E8400 3 GHZ
4GB DDR2 RAM
SLI x2 9600GT 512MB DDR3 (Only has DV and VGA ports no HDMI)

I read some information on HDMI cables as well check tigerdirect explanation bellow, scroll to the bottom of page, I like the graphical represtation to explain the different types of HDMI cables used for different situations.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

From what they are saying there are different types of cables 1.2 and 1.3a which will give you different bandwith amounts. PS3 needing high band with and 120hz even needing higher bandwith cables.

1. Will it matter what cable I'm using when using a DVI to HDMI adaptor?
2. Using the DVI to HDMI adaptor, will that degrade or hinder my computer from detecting the 120hz capability of my TV? I know sound will not go through this type of setup.
3. Can my computer push 120hz to the TV with the video cards that I have?
4. Does it even matter whether or not my computer pushes 60hz or 120hz? From what I read there are only a couple of real 120HZ tvs out and the others like the one I bought are doing this conversion process on the TV side and not the source through inputing more frames to smooth it out. I dont even think there is such a source other than a computer. If this is the case, will this feature do anything at all to my gaming experience?

Any clarification on this will help alot, thanks!

More about : sli 9600gt dvi hdmi lcd 120

a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 6:47:12 PM

Regarding questions:
1. I think a DVI-D to HDMI cable will be sufficient. Get 1.3 HDMI if there is a choice, vendors should be defaulting to that standard now anyways.

2. As you guessed, it is most likely the 120hz action is TV side and doesn't matter what the source is doing. Unlikely to be an issue.

3. Your computer only needs to push 60hz.

4. It doesn't matter.
m
l
December 17, 2009 7:00:22 PM

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I feel alot better about my setup, its coming tomorrow!!!
m
l