Issues with Graphics Card (freezing and crashing)

szheng2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I have a new systems build that crashes whenever I attempt 3D applications (games, movies, rendering ect) . I am however using this computer to type this right now, no problems.(2d applications seem safe)
I have used ATI TOOL, Speedfan, CPUID, 3D marks to attempt to diagnosis the issue to the GPU. Majorly goes to freezing/ blue screen of death in various tints (black, brown, white,) ect.

ASUS 4890 super cap version dual fan.

Here are some of the results

-Speedfan/CPUID both read no abnormal temperatures in the PC, with the card clocking maybe 40 to 50 Celsius.

-ATI TOOL, artifact detection causes it to fail in 8-10 minutes after attempting to check for any errors and goes to blue screen of death

-FURMARKS does not start up or run, and goes straight to a black screen being unresponsive

-Passed 3D marks twice with 11000 marks.. somehow, must of used more CPU

-Running latest ATI CCC and drivers on windows 7 64 bit

-Runs games such as modern warfare 2 for up to 10-30 minutes before failing and the sound begins to loop. Then it changes to a solid color and freezes

-NO RED LED comes on when it does freeze, i've check multiple times (case is see thru) On both sides.

-It dies when trying to run any other games (L4D, CS:S TF2,) ECT it won't start it even. It runs games at random.

Here is the components I used in this computer. All of these are new and just recently purchased.

I can't RMA my card thru newegg since i sent off the UPC code, so i have to deal with asus...

Can someone help me diagnosis the issue as with software, hardware defect or something? thanks please!

(hoping this card is out of stock so they can up me to a 5850 out of their expense :))

Thanks for READING! and your help!

Here are the specs.

1 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM - Retail

1 ASUS P7P55D EVO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
1 Rosewill RNX-G1 USB 2.0 Wireless Black Dongle
1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System
1 Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core
1 ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU
1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
1 PLEXTOR 24X DVD/CD Writer Black SATA Model PX-880SA LightScribe
1 CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire
1 ASUS EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

szheng2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Possibility that this card is overclocked ect crashing? I don't want to RMA it to have it come straight back. Will it void my warranty if I try to tinker with it with rivatuner?

haakonmt

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I have exactly the same problem, and it's starting to get real annoying. I think it's a driver issue, but idk how to fix it though. I heard someone managed to fix it by:
1. Installing Vista

2. Performing the MSConfig/Boot fix
2.1 Run MSCONFIG in a command prompt.
2.2 Click the BOOT tab
2.3 Click on ADVANCED options.
2.4 Put a CHECK in 'Number of Processors", and then select the number of processors your system has. , 1 for a single, 2 for a dual core, 4 for a quad.
2.5 Put a CHECK in 'Maximum memory", and key in amount of RAM you have.
2.6 CLick OK, Click APPLY, and re-boot when prompted.)

3. Installing graphics drivers

4. Upgrading to Win 7

If you decide to try this, be sure to let me know if it works :)

szheng2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
This would involve throwing more money at the problem by buying vista and upgrading. Also some time clean installing, installing and reinstalling. Theres no way to complete this in Win 7?

Also how does that fix the VGA? It only configs the ram and cpu, and I've had no real problems with those.

Thanks for the help, just curious!

Have you attempted this for your card yet?

haakonmt

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I know it costs extra, that's why I haven't tried it yet. And I have no idea how it works, but I've tried all the easy solutions (overclocking/underclocking the card, upgrading/downgrading drivers etc), and none of them have worked for me, so I guess I was just hoping that someone else could take the time and effort to try this out. But if you have to buy Vista it's clearly not worth it, I'll just try it out for myself sometime during the holidays :) I'll let you know how it works out!

szheng2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I'm RMAing the card today, claiming there is a problem. I believe its a problem with a hardware, since there is no fixes, even if its just them tweaking the bios. They SHOULD be able to fix the card.