Sign in with
Your question

OCing RAM, on a laptop, with a limited BIOS.

Last response: in Overclocking
June 18, 2012 3:01:20 AM

Some might tell me that I shouldn't OC my laptop's memory for various reasons.

I'm not going pay attention to the nay-sayers. Though I already took precaution to boost my laptop's cooling performance (low 70C when gaming), and I wouldn't mind a litte challenge.

Anyways, the BIOS is unsurprisingly very restricted, so the only option is to OC through software. I am currently using CPU-Tweaker 1.5.

The RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) is limited to 6, if I lower it to 5, the laptop BSODs. Is there anything I could still tinker with?

EDIT: I also seem to have trouble with the software saving my setting, it sometimes loses it as soon as I close it, and always loses it when the computer shuts down or restart.
a c 106 } Memory
a b D Laptop
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 3:19:50 AM

From a nay-sayer:
What do you wish to accomplish?

Real app performance or fps improvement will be small. Read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

It is likely you are losing your settings because the bios has trouble with them, and is resetting to one that works.
m
l
June 18, 2012 3:37:21 AM

I'm curious of how far I can push this laptop.
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 } Memory
a b D Laptop
a c 125 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 3:41:35 AM

A Bad Day said:
I'm curious of how far I can push this laptop.

Then go to it.
Usually it takes added voltage to OC ram, and I don't see that option.

Try to increase the FSB . That will oc the cpu and the ram.
m
l
June 18, 2012 3:58:20 AM

Well, I can't access the FSB through BIOS. SetFSB is the only software that I can think of, but the specific clock generator for my laptop's motherboard is only available in the paid version.

If there's a free software that can access my laptop's FSB, I would hug you if I could. I spent a lot of time trying to OC my CPU with a lot of fails (grayed out options, no access to clock rate adjustment, incompatibility, BSOD, etc)
m
l
June 18, 2012 4:08:00 AM

It's called setfsb, and it's the best, fastest way to destroy your computer. Good luck, though! :D 
m
l
June 18, 2012 4:28:49 AM

Well, my parents have full control over my bank account until I go to college, so I have to make due with free software and scrap material.
m
l
!