3 HardDrives, 2 for OS and 1 for storage...

ansionnachcliste

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hey guys,

Right now I've got 3 hard drives. They are 500GB, 2x 200GB, not solid state.

I already have Windows 7 installed on my 500GB HD. I'm planning on reinstalling Windows 7 as my primary OS for games and multimedia tasks. How would I go about installing it to one of the 200GB HDs? Also, I would be using the 500GB for games storage, pics, other files etc.

So when I install Win 7, do I just hook up the 500GB one to the motherboard and voila, I can save my files to it?

The other 200GB would be used for Linux and all my Linux OS files and files and all the files I'll be creating will go on this one. So I don't need too big a Harddrive for this, so 200GB will suffice.

I'm guessing I just insert the Linux CD/DVD and pick that partition?

One more thing is that the 500GB HD has Windows 7 already on it, how can I get rid of the OS files and keep my other files (games etc)?

The other two HDs were used on my older computer, will I just have to format them?

It's probably simple to work out, but I've read about load up orders and other things that confuse me.

Cheers for reading.

casanova09122

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Not sure if you have figured it out, but what I would do is go ahead and install the drives. Boot your system up, and let Windows 7 load up.
Hold your windows key + R, and type compmgmt.msc and press enter(and if that doesnt work type in Disk Management on the Windows 7 search bar). You want to locate your disk management option and open it up. By now you should see the different HDD's you have and should be able to format the new drive. After formatting the new drive go ahead and restart, and enter your bios, and check to see if the drive shows up.

As far as keeping the game files. You should go into your main drive C : / Program Files and look for the games you want to back up. You should be able to browse the directories for the saved files for the games.

Hope this helps mate.