RAM voltage

Hi there my RAM calls for 1.65V which I have to set in my computers bios. However there are 2 issues:
I can only set in increments of 0.02V so I have been setting it at 1.66V. Is this ok? or should I use 1.64V?

Gigabyte motherboards come with a tuning utility that tells me the DRAM voltage is 1.68V. Is this a problem? should I try setting it lower in the bios so that the utility reads 1.66? (Speed fan has many numbers, what is the ram voltage? the -5V line?)
4 answers Last reply
More about voltage
  1. What CPU?

If for a new Intel CPU, I woud go with 1.64V to keep it under their 1.65v requiremetns.

If for a new AMD3, it doesn't matter since they don't have the voltage requirements, so you can run at 1.66V or 1.64V.
  2. Does depend on the CPU - for most 1156s, 1.65V; for original 1366 i7s, 1.85V; for new i7-9xx, and most Xeons, 1.8V; not really that touchy - the main thing to adhere to is the 'split' rule - never a Δ between QPI/Vtt and Vddr larger than a half volt!
  3. sorry, i had no idea, I have an AM3 X3 440
    and it is ok that he motherboard utility reads 1.68V when the ram calls for 1.65?
  4. Votage regulation is not the science it 'looks to be' - the board's (and utilities') methods of 'reading' their own voltage are fraught with errror - so it's really kind of silly for them to be reading out in two or, some cases, three decimal places of 'precision' - when the only way to actually know is to check it with an actual 'precision calibrated' instrument... I would not worry in the least about the setting - lower it and test to make sure it still works if it really bothers you, or just leave it alone, as it's already working - six of one, half-dozen of the other...

Just as an example, I 'calibrate' my scope every couple of months, as our climate's terribly variable - over a 60°C 'spread', with humidity levels to match - BUT, my 'calibrator', itself, has not actually been calibrated in at least six or eight years - so it's mainly an exercise in obsessive behaviour!
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory BIOS RAM