SSD + 2 2TB HDD

campeck

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hey,

I have a 120gb SSD that has my OS and programs on. I was going to RAID 1 the other 2 HDD for file redundancy but my friend pointed out the OS and programs are important too incase I switch SSD or a failure.

My question is is it possible to RAID 1 the two HDD while having the SSD RAID itself on one or both of the drives, without them RAIDing on it. Does that make sense?

So on SSD we have SSD
on HDD 1 we have SSD and HDD 1 and HDD 2
on HDD 2 we have SSD and HDD 1 and HDD 2

And if so how would I do this. I have never set up a RAID and my computer is brand new so I would like to do it while it's easiest.

Thank you!

It would not be necessary to raid the ssd with the hdd , all you have to do is set up the system backup feature in Windows 7 and all your files and the OS will be backed up daily or weekly however you want to set it up or you could perieodicaly create a system image for your recovery. It would be a good idea to raid the two hdd's. There are a lot of options with windows 7 in the backup and recovery section.

Try this ....

-Install the HD's in RAID ..... Install Windows on a 64 GB partition, run WIndows update till its done (5-6 times)and install all ya drivers. Partition the rest as you see fit.

-Unplug the data cables to the HD's. Install the SSD and then install Windows and repeat WU cycle again.

-Turn off machine and reconnect HD's. Boot and install programs / data as you see fit. Now if ya SSD dies or you just choose to do so, you will be able to boot from either the HD's or the SSD via BIOS selection.

campeck

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011

Ok I read up a bit about this...

So A system image will be a copy of everything on the drive that wondows runs off of, Therefore the SSD.
So I should RAID 1 the HDDs and then just create a system image on the RAID daily. Is this the idea? It sounds like this will do what i want. I will have double redundancy of my SSD.

Now how do I set up a RAID 1 for the HDD's? Is this done in the bios? Can the OS stay installed on the SSD for this?

Thanks again. Oh and happy thanksgiving!