Sign in with
Your question
Solved

H80/H100 + NZXT Phantom with Ripjaws Dilemma

Last response: in Overclocking
June 18, 2012 4:00:15 AM

Hello. I've got quite a dilemma here. First of all. I want to either get a H80 or a H100 to cool my i5-3570k. Now.. the problem is I'm confused on whether the H100 fits in an NZXT Phantom with Ripjaws ram.

Here's the ram I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you could take some times and view the first 1-2 minutes of these two videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M044IDLhOKM (H100 fits but with some modding I wouldn't like)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klQWG5QyvRs (Fits fine!!)

And in both of those cases they are using Ripjaws.

Or do you guys just think I should get an H80? I'm 90% sure that'll fit in the rear fans spot.

Thanks in advance.
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 9:51:04 PM

could you answer these for me mate,

well when I've noticed the i5, i have to ask, what sort of OC are you on right now? or are looking for after the cooler goes on?

how much are you looking to spend on an H100?

might want to assemble a real watercooling loop as this will give you a sense of satisfaction on a job well done :p  honestly, since you want to watercool, why not go for the real thing?

* i know for a fact that the H100 will fit when mounted up top, and have the fans only in pull or push - not in push/pull scenario.
might want to keep the money in your wallet and get a coolermaster Hyper 212+/evo , cheaper and won't interfere with those ripjaws.
m
l
June 18, 2012 10:01:35 PM

Well the H100 is like $102 on amazon and I've planning to OC after I get the i5-3570k. I'm looking for a 4.2ghz or more OC.

I could go for the real thing, but I'm on a budget unfortunately :( . The real watercooling setups are good.

Anyways isn't H100 "real" water cooling? Or is the "liquid" cooling some other type of liquid.
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 10:07:27 PM

real watercooling isn't in a self contained loop that is maintenance free. There's a hobbyists aspect to it.

can you stretch the budget?
go for a cpu only loop, but the pump on it will be strong enough to net you more blocks and radiator space.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16070/ex-wat-210/XSPC...

or

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16071/ex-wat-211/XSPC...

this will give you the advantage of a good headroom and is a one off purchase. I'm speaking from experience, I got myself an H50, didn't like it so i modded it and then didn't like even more - so I went full custom and well...you have the AMS prjkt (in my sig ;)  )

but before you go over my word - as I'm a total stranger, might want to head over to the watercooling sticky(also in my sig) and do a lil reading. FYI - might also want to check out that i5's TDP to understand if that H100 can cope with it at that clockspeed.
m
l
June 18, 2012 10:12:41 PM

Sounds fun but to be honest, I'll stick with the H100 setup, just need to find out if it fits. So what liquid is in a H100/H80 water or something special?

See, here it fits:

But I'm not sure if the two fans on top of the case are still there or they're replaced by the radiator.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 10:17:48 PM

its a glycol mixture, not really good anyway, I'm refraining from recommending an H series cooler is cos its made of aluminium and copper, not good in-terms of galvanic corrosion. And on a estimated run, will last you about 3 years until the pump dies out. As of a few months, there has been a string of people/threads complaining of the H100 failing on them, anywhere from rickety pumps to dead units with a leak.

* but i can see you're only here for dimensions, not advice to sway you from a bad purchase.

the picture depicts a push/pull config on that nzxt case - so ram clearance is just barely cutting it.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 10:24:07 PM

In either push or pull - one row of fans above or below the rad. you can have the fan below rad to push the air out the rad or have the fans above rad to pull air though the rad.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 10:24:14 PM

Corsair H-series coolers have a very weak pump and dismal flow rates.

Yes, it's 'water' or 'liquid' cooling, but just as much a Kia and a Ferrari are both cars.
m
l
June 18, 2012 10:32:57 PM

I know you guys aren't very supportive of the Corsair H series but anyways, if the H100 doesn't fit, will the H80 do well?

Quote:
but just as much a Kia and a Ferrari are both cars.

^ Sweet comparison lol.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 10:37:41 PM

what mobo are you going to get for that i5?
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 10:46:10 PM

H80 and H100 will both perform about as well as most good air coolers, so use that as reference.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 10:47:50 PM

the H80 will bang into the mobo and the cooling unit while having both fans attached onto the rad internally. maybe have one fan mounted outside, but then again, the heat output on that H80 isn't worth that price tag - better off getting a hyper 212+ if your getting an aircooler that looks like a watercooling unit(Ahem, corsair H series unit).
m
l
June 18, 2012 10:53:36 PM

Uhh guys, is it my case creating the troubles with compatibility or something else?
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 10:56:59 PM

[:lutfij:2] ugh would you like some duff beer ? :lol:  :/  :) 
m
l
June 18, 2012 10:59:31 PM

So it's the mobo? o.o
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 18, 2012 11:00:38 PM

its the cooler man!
m
l
June 19, 2012 12:03:08 AM

Well don't the H80 tubes hang in any case/mobo?!
m
l
June 19, 2012 1:18:23 AM

you could always do what I did depending on whether you get paid weekly, fortnightly, monthly. you could slowly order your own parts to get a real watercooling system and do your PC a favour? i was just super worried after hearing all the bad news and horror stories about the Hydro range from a certain company.

And in the end you will get better performance and you will be entitled to have a see through panel on the side of your case and bragging rights to a better cooling system then your friends :p 

But to answer your question, the amount of space you'll have from the roof of your case to your ram should be roghly 55mm, however, i am sporting a 1366 socket mobo so i am unsure of the size difference. i couldnt imagine there'd be much of a difference though. also i'd like to point out that lets say you could fit the whole unit in the top you could also fit three of scythes 12mm fans on the top for your push pull config.

otherwise good choice of case! its not the best to work with for watercooling but i'd still prefer its look over most other cases!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 1:41:18 AM

Seriously guys, H80/100 are not custom water cooling but... If the guy wants it - give him a break. I have had an H60 for over 3 years in a system that has not been switched off. The bonus for me compared to the d-14 I had is that the inside is much less crowded without a huge air cooler. this thread reminds me about talking stereos with an audiophile.... We all are not purists, and yes, some of us do settle.
-Bruce
m
l
June 19, 2012 2:19:09 AM

dish_moose said:
Seriously guys, H80/100 are not custom water cooling but... If the guy wants it - give him a break. I have had an H60 for over 3 years in a system that has not been switched off. The bonus for me compared to the d-14 I had is that the inside is much less crowded without a huge air cooler. this thread reminds me about talking stereos with an audiophile.... We all are not purists, and yes, some of us do settle.
-Bruce

very well said, however the reason i'd steer the op away from the H100 is because i was looking at getting exactly the same setup with the exact same case, im not sure whether you own a Phantom dish_moose but for watercooling we're pretty pressed for space. unless he wants to mount the rad outside the case he might have some problems with fitting a big rad internally without some minor modifications.

however i am unsure of the overall thickness of the rad coupled with fans so im sorry if i've got it wrong. I figured that it'd be thicker considering its an all in one.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 2:33:38 AM

H100 rad specs: thickness is about 27mm
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/07/26/corsair_h100_...

and the stock fan is about 25mm - so lets just help OP with the math, shall we? GT = 52mm.

thas for a single sided fan mount, if its double add another 25mm to it i.e: 77mm from the top of case.

FYI - in all this time trying to get your answer, you might want to see what other owners of the same case have done with their H100 (if they own one)

* bullwinkle - we all hate wannabe's right? and we also hate how wannabe's drag other hopeless people into their vortex of doom, so we're trying to be good shepard's by telling OP to stay away from a wannabe product :p 
m
l
June 19, 2012 4:45:33 AM

I understand you guys are trying to help but and I'm being hardheaded but I just can't extend the money for the real stuff. Though beleive it or not, when I saw the price of that first watercooling kit you linked lutfij, it's not as expensive as I thought it'd be. So will definitely look into getting a kit for the future.

Hey guys there's a minor change. Here's what it says on the NZXT website for my case:

COOLING SYSTEM
FRONT, 1 X 140mm
REAR, 1 X 120mm (included)
SIDE, 2 x 120mm, 1 x 200/230 (2 x 120mm included)
TOP, 2 X 200mm (1 x LED 200mm included)

So included is only 1x 200mm fan, so basically I'm going to be using the H100 radiator under that 200m fan, does anything change sizing wise?
m
l
June 19, 2012 5:07:06 AM

what you'd want to do providing you want to buy the H100 is un install the 200mm fan in the top and you'll find that the case has pre-drilled holes in the top to fit a 2x120mm radiator. you will be able to install it from there. then you could fit the 200mm fan from the top on the side panel. also another thing to take into account is if you order two new fans for your rad you could order 3 and install one of them at the front of your case for better airflow.
m
l

Best solution

a c 150 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 5:45:51 AM

H80 wouldn't be a very good upgrade over a V6GT, really they perform the same. As for an H100, would you really pay $100+ for a 3-4C difference? I would pay $100+ for at least 10-20C difference in performance.
June 19, 2012 6:06:03 AM

amuffin said:
H80 wouldn't be a very good upgrade over a V6GT, really they perform the same. As for an H100, would you really pay $100+ for a 3-4C difference? I would pay $100+ for at least 10-20C difference in performance.

+1
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:10:50 AM

So there's not much a difference from a V6GT -> H80, but how about from an V6GT -> H100? I'm not sure if the 3-4c difference you're talking about applies to the H100.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 7:11:48 AM

Iceycold said:
So it's not much a difference from a V6GT -> H80, but how about from an V6GT -> H100? I'm not sure if the 3-4c difference you're talking about applies to the H100.

Yes, yes it does.
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:17:27 AM

Okay guys you convinced me, lol. I'll stick with the V6 GT and save the $100-$115, I just hope it gets me to 4.2Ghz. That's my goal for the 3570k.

PS: Is the radiator on the H100 just plastic or are those 2 fans on it? Most of the pictures I've seen are angled oddly.
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:31:43 AM

Best answer selected by Iceycold.
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:42:42 AM

You could probably spend $50 and get new intake fans that would improve your temps by almost the same amount haha.
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:47:49 AM

Hmm it's something to think about, which would you recommend?
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:51:19 AM

what country do you live in?
I'm in australia so i buy from PcCaseGear and they have a great selection of fans and accessories.
but i'd need to know the site you'd buy from so i can see what they supply.
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:58:33 AM

I'm in the United States. I can use any site as long as it's reputable :) . And of course fans must fit in my NZXT Phantom.
m
l
June 19, 2012 8:22:54 AM

I own one too haha so your not alone there :) 
ok so newegg is the way to go.

i've found these coolermaster fans on PCCG which have been great. they come off as i guess you could say standard fans but i'd say they hit about the midrange market in performance for almost half the price.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
these fans push a great amount of air for a case fan and they're suprisingly quiet.
I guess what you'd want to do is find an equivilent or equal on newegg
with posting this i realise that in the specs it advertises for the Phantom that the front should be a 140mm fan, but there are also drill holes for a 120mm, most of the time they'd be the same price but as the main market is 120mm fans for both cases and radiators theres better time and money invested in better performance for 120's.
otherwise you could empty your pockets and get noctuna fans. great fans but a bit too expensive for my taste.

(edit)
upon looking at newegg i realised how cheap it is for you guys to get computer parts haha. Damn you -_-
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 1:40:13 PM

Newegg is a great spot for just about everything PC building with great prices. (not a good site for watercooling gear, but occasionally, you can find deals on some decent Swiftech close-outs or the like)
m
l
June 19, 2012 5:40:37 PM

CrestfallenDesign said:
I own one too haha so your not alone there :) 
ok so newegg is the way to go.

i've found these coolermaster fans on PCCG which have been great. they come off as i guess you could say standard fans but i'd say they hit about the midrange market in performance for almost half the price.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
these fans push a great amount of air for a case fan and they're suprisingly quiet.
I guess what you'd want to do is find an equivilent or equal on newegg
with posting this i realise that in the specs it advertises for the Phantom that the front should be a 140mm fan, but there are also drill holes for a 120mm, most of the time they'd be the same price but as the main market is 120mm fans for both cases and radiators theres better time and money invested in better performance for 120's.
otherwise you could empty your pockets and get noctuna fans. great fans but a bit too expensive for my taste.

(edit)
upon looking at newegg i realised how cheap it is for you guys to get computer parts haha. Damn you -_-

This is the fan on Newegg right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

edit: Look what went on Newegg for shell shocker for $48 how interesting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 20, 2012 12:17:05 AM

unfortunately Rubix i live in australia so ordering from Newegg would probably cost me about the same if not more in shipping :/ 

and no sorry Icey, it looks like newegg dont even stock that fan which is strange? i figured considering its perforance it should be more known atm? maybe look into getting a bitfenix air penetrator? they sound like they could be a great fan, plus they come in the 140mm flavour so you could get your optimum size in there. id have to say it wont be as good but it seems to be a trusty looking product. i think it might be a few dollars more but still relatively cheap. if you can manage to get the blue led then thats a bonus, i know im a sucker for kitting out the blue leds :/  haha
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
June 20, 2012 12:18:53 AM

That's what I have heard...which is unfortunate. I will say I could spend an entire day on Newegg and not accomplish anything more than amassing a shopping cart equal the GDP of some countries.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 20, 2012 12:26:13 AM

well you could always ask PCCG to bring in your stuff from the states, i know one person -Jackson who's gone that route. All he did was select the stuff via a catalog online and mailed it to PCCG.
m
l
June 20, 2012 12:34:57 AM

ah fair enough, and to get it to PCCG it costs next to nothing? or does PCCG order from newegg? i think most of the good stuff you guys get is stocked at PCCG anyhow just a bit more money, i dont know how much cheaper i'd get it to get them to order it in for me?
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
June 20, 2012 12:38:30 AM

mail em and find out... :)  no service is free service in this world we live in. So no it will cost you something just that its better than not having it in the first place :D 
m
l
June 20, 2012 12:56:19 AM

And about the all in one coolers, i cant really help you there man, i dont really know very much about the performnce of each because Moto got to me before i could begin researching the matter.

tbh if you just improve your case airflow you should be able to drop your temps a bit more to about the standard of using one.
however, what i say isnt concrete because I have only had experience in air cooling and i've only completed 3/4 of my watercooling build so far.

I understand your position though man, because i was in your spot maybe a month ago asking about the Corsair Hydro series.
From what i gathered lurking around here is that you will get greater performance out of your gear, for a cost, most of the time if you want reliability, a higher cost. much higher then your high end air or all in one cooler, but the extra cost and time is only worth it if your going to milk as much as you can out of it.
If your going to hover at moderate clock speeds you wont need a custom loop and it will be a waste of your money.

Most of the people in this part of the forum are humble, great to talk to and to get information from, and most wont judge you for whatever decision you make, so long as you treat them as well as they treat you.

theres the other factors of custom watercooling that i've learned also, things like looks, knowledge, experimentation and addiction haha.

nothing spells enthusiast better then a pulsing stream of glowing liquid computer death flowing throughout your life savings.

Crest
m
l
June 20, 2012 12:57:39 AM

Lutfij said:
mail em and find out... :)  no service is free service in this world we live in. So no it will cost you something just that its better than not having it in the first place :D 

There's no harm in asking right? :p 
m
l
June 20, 2012 1:09:03 AM

Quote:
And about the all in one coolers, i cant really help you there man, i dont really know very much about the performnce of each because Moto got to me before i could begin researching the matter.

You were referring to this right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And yeah Crest I know what you mean lol, I gotta admit the H80/H100 names really suck you in to wanting to buy them.
m
l
June 20, 2012 1:21:48 AM

Iceycold said:
Quote:

You were referring to this right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And yeah Crest I know what you mean lol, I gotta admit the H80/H100 names really suck you in to wanting to buy them.

yeah that one you referenced, i only had enough time to brush the corsair range before Moto made like a priest from age of empires and convinced me to go to infinity and beyond :p  haha ill quit with the references to cherished games and movies now.

But yeah, i think it was more of the lure of a guarantee of safety, quality, low cost, low maintainance and ease of installation. when you have those kinds of things coming at you its hard to say no, and im not saying that you have to say no but after reading the pros and cons of the products, to me it looks like you get a 50/50% chance of getting a winner or getting one that only covers half the things it promises.

Well consider this, did you build your own rig?
m
l
June 20, 2012 3:51:50 AM

Yeah, I did :) .
m
l
June 20, 2012 4:02:40 AM

then you'd most likely enjoy custom watercooling, its a matter of having the ideas and being creative with what you have. you could spend unneccesary amounts of money on it depending on what performance you want, i guess its the same as most things except Apple products :p 

consider this. you were planning on spending roughly $100 on a corsair H100 right?
I think for about maybe $40 more, you could be able to buy a XSPC EX240 kit. i'll do a little looking around at my preffered shop and get back to you on the price differences and pros and cons.
m
l
June 20, 2012 4:09:32 AM

Okay. Don't go through so much trouble though! Most likely I'll be getting a custom water cooling kit later on not right now.
m
l
!