Random Freezing - help needed

G

One of my systems keeps freezing, pretty randomly. The screen does not update, does not respond to pings etc, not to ctrl-alt-del.

It started happening once a month a while ago, then once a week, then once a day and now pretty frequently (sometime before I can logon). Before it was anoying, now it is unusable.

I have looked but can find no clues. Nothing in the event logs. I ran ProcMon a few times and sometimes the last event was file access, others registry, others disk.

I have run memtest86+ for a number of hours with no errors (and no freezing).

I have swapped the Graphics card (a friend suggested that may be it :) but same problems.

My next guess is going to PSU, so while I rip one out of another system, I thought I would ask for ideas!

So, what next?

For info, the details I can remember:
Windows 7 64bit
Intel E6600
2GB Memory
Abit AB9-Pro MB

G

Looks like it was the PSU!

Ripped the PSU out of another PC and swapped it in and it has been running fine for the last hour or so! Wile see how long it lasts.

G

Nope. I spoke too soon.

After another half hour it has frozen again. I'll go for the Hard Disk next unless there are any other suggestions.

G

The original was a 500W ENERMAX Liberty, but the replacement was only 400w (Liberty).

Is there an easy way to test is the PSU is at fault?

G

Forgot to mention I have rulled out the disk - swapped it for another one and it froze before Windows 7 finished installing:)

Those PSUs should have been good enough. I'm starting to think you've a software problem on your hands.

Did you have two hard disks on hand with Windows 7? Did you install the same programs on both of them?

If that's not the case, the only option left is a malfunctioning motherboard (that I can think of, at least).

G

I don't think the symptoms match a software problem! The fact that id can freeze before I even log-on makes me suspicios for a start. Also, there is nothing I can think of non-standard (i.e. not part of Win7) on there yet. I only reinstalled Win7 the other week, hoping that would cure it. Finally I tried another fresh install on a different disk and that froze too.

I'm going to run the memory tests again (overnight) and think about buying a new motherboard in the morning:-(

Would be good to know if there is anything else to rule out or of any conclusive tests I could try first!

Thanks for the suggestions so far.