Intel 510 vs 6-12 months from now

Thronsen

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I had been holding off on getting a new SSD to replace my Intel G2 80gb from a couple of years ago. But I could use it right now, both for extra storage and for my Lightroom and Photoshop files which are currently on an HDD RAID 0.

I recently read in Tom's Hardware that the difference between a high end HDD and a low end SSD is like 85%, and the difference between a high end HDD and a high end SSD is like 88%.

My question is, is it worth waiting 6 months for the next generation Intel drives (for reliability reasons, I prefer Intel). Will there be that much of a performance difference from the current 510 series? Im talking about from a practical perspective, where Lightroom is continuously accessing individual files to render.

And in 9 months, when Ivy Bridge comes out, this will be my system drive.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Solution
if reliability is a priority, then the Samsung 830 is worth considering. The Samsung 470 has a stellar record for stability and reliability. There were no major issues. So far it looks like the new 830 is another winner for Samsung.

Numerous news articles suggest the new Intel 520 will be equipped with a SadForce Controller. As is their custom, Intel has remained silent about the new 520.

In 6 to 9 months we will be discussing PCI-e 3.0 capable ssd's. The first motherboards that support the new PCI-e 3.0 standard are already available.
if reliability is a priority, then the Samsung 830 is worth considering. The Samsung 470 has a stellar record for stability and reliability. There were no major issues. So far it looks like the new 830 is another winner for Samsung.

Numerous news articles suggest the new Intel 520 will be equipped with a SadForce Controller. As is their custom, Intel has remained silent about the new 520.

In 6 to 9 months we will be discussing PCI-e 3.0 capable ssd's. The first motherboards that support the new PCI-e 3.0 standard are already available.

Solution

Thronsen

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi there-

Thanks for your reply. Will a Sandforce Controller and PCIe 3.0 support be a huge difference, or is it more just tinkering around the edges? I had thought PCIe 3.0 was just a big deal for graphic cards, will it make a huge difference in a SSD?

In theory there will be a large difference in video cards, ssd's, and controller cards. The big problems are going to be quality and price.

Compared to business enterprise the consumer migration from hard drives to ssd's is not going well. Sales are below industry predictions. Issues with consumer ssd's and high prices have kept sales down.

There is one more problem. The gamer and enthusiast niche is just a tiny drop in a very large bucket. The real money is in the huge business enterprise market.