Bootless in Boulder

VinnyInColorado

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Hello,

My newly built PC won't boot. The PS turns on and powers up the motherboard, the video card and the case fans, but that's it. Nothing else happens. Nothing appears on the monitor which connects via an HDMI cable. I have tested the memory and it appears to be OK even though the MEM-OK LED (ASUS memory diagnostic and BIOS repair tool) has remained on during all trouble shooting.

I am at wits end. If someone(s) can help an old guy, I would be very grateful.

I have installed these components:
Intel i7-930 CPU
Asus P6X58D-E MB
CORSAIR 850W PS
A-DATA 6G RAM
ASUS Radeon 5770 Video Card
Western Caviar Black 1TB HD
Lite-on 24X DVD burner

Thanks in advance.

VinnyInColorado

bilbat

Splendid
The HDMI might be your trouble - many TV's won't display a 'standard' 640x480 default VGA signal, and you need some kind of such display to get to the point where you're loading an OS with 'resolution settable' drivers... Do you have access to a standard DVI or VGA monitor?

VinnyInColorado

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010

Thanks for the tip. I don't have a VGA cable so I tried using a functioning CRT monitor. Still no joy. Damn.

VinnyInColorado

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Thanks for the great troubleshooting guide. I followed your piece-by-piece assembly suggestion but with each piece I installed, nothing happened. Everything powered up...video card, fans, CPU, memory, but that was it. No MB beeps. Nada. So I came to the conclusion that it had to be the motherboard, so I RMA'd it back to Newegg.

I really appreciate the time and thought you have devoted to this. I'll let you and everyone knows what happens after the MB is returned.