knight1324

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hi guys~

I gonna built up a new PC~
Cant make up my mind for intel or AMD~not sure which one is more suitable for me~
Mainly for gaming~ making 3D animation sometimes~
not considering SLI or CrossFire~Comfortable with OC~

AMD
PhenomⅡ-X4-965 C3 125W
Asus M4A79XTD-EVO
Asus EAH5850-G-2DIS-1GD5

INTEL
Intel i7-860
combo
msi P55-GD65 msi R4870-Cyclone-1g

others
memory OCZOCZ3P1333LV4GK/4G (or CORSAIR 1333 4G if CL is lower~BTW~with one is better?)
hard driver WD6400AALS
optical device Asus DRW-22B2ST
PSU seasonic S12Energy+650
CASE CoolerMasterCM-690
CPU cooler COOLMASTER hYPER 212 PLUS

Their prices are around 60USD different in my country(Taiwan)~
If there is better C/P in any unit~Do tell~please~~
Thanks guys~appreciate any time you choose to commenting to this.

Solution
Here's the thing on the upgrade path. Intel SAYS that new CPUs will be coming out for both sockets (LGA1156 and 1366). Supposedly, the new i3 and i9 will be out for these sockets. After that, no one really knows.

AMD has stated that their AM3 socket, which has a wide variety of CPUs on it, will continue to be their socket for a few years. AMD typically doesn't introduce their new sockets as fast, and the AM3 CPUs are compatible with the AM2/AM2+ mobos.

Basically, right now, the better bet on being able to upgrade is AMD. However, they don't have a CPU that is as powerful as Intel.

Right now for gaming, the best CPU/GPU combination is the i5 and 5850. No one can say that will continue to be the case. If they do, they're lying...

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I would suggest that probably the best price/performance you can get here would be to go for the i5 750 with the MSI P55-GD65 rather than the i7 860. The only thing i7 has over the i5 is Hyperthreading(which really doesn't do anything for gaming), and a slight clock increase, which OCing fixes, and its a good bit cheaper. The i5 will also perform slightly better than the PhenII 965 (they are pretty similar game-wise).
All of the rest of your parts there look pretty good- The case has great airflow (I have the same one) and its a good price for what you get. The memory- Lower CL is better, but both brands are good for memory.
The PSU is a good one, as is the CPU cooler.
Looks good to me with a i5-750.

flyinfinni is mostly correct. However, he is wrong about a couple of things. Overclocking only catches the i5 up to the i7 if you DON'T overclock the i7. If you're overclocking, the i7 will be way faster.

Other notes:

The 965 is not a good price/performance buy. The 955 is the same, but cheaper.

You should definitely go with the i5, if your budget allows. It's the best gaming CPU out.

You should definitely go with the RAM with the lower CL. However, Corsair is always overpriced. There's a good set of G.Skill Eco sticks (1333 mhz, CL 7) that cost $98 US.

The HDD is a bad choice. The best HDD out right now is the Samsung Spinpoint F3, and it's cheaper than WD.

You should definitely go with Radeon HD 5850 as the GPU. This is possibly the best one out right now (not counting the $400+ 5870 and $600+ 5970).

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't as clear as I could have been on that. I guess I should have said for the price of the i5 vs. i7, its not worth the cost for extra clock speed. The i7 will OC a bit farther, but still not enough to make up the price difference. I mean, I can get my i5 to 4.0 GHz, and past 3.6 I really can't notice any difference in gaming with my 4870.

knight1324

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
how about longevity between I5 and I7?

Coz i was thinking if I get i7 then maybe it will be ok to just upgrade GPU
when its not powerful enough or after a year or two. Or, its not the case?

Same thought for AMD but for CPU.

Currently,I am using 19" LCD. Gonna change it to 24" but not at the same time.
I guess 5850 is overkill for my LCD so far.

For hd~Its pretty hard to get a samsung HD. Dont think they do sell that in Taiwan.

For memory,I think I will get GSkill if possible. Thanks.

I5 +5850 looks attractive~~~

Here's the thing on the upgrade path. Intel SAYS that new CPUs will be coming out for both sockets (LGA1156 and 1366). Supposedly, the new i3 and i9 will be out for these sockets. After that, no one really knows.

AMD has stated that their AM3 socket, which has a wide variety of CPUs on it, will continue to be their socket for a few years. AMD typically doesn't introduce their new sockets as fast, and the AM3 CPUs are compatible with the AM2/AM2+ mobos.

Basically, right now, the better bet on being able to upgrade is AMD. However, they don't have a CPU that is as powerful as Intel.

Right now for gaming, the best CPU/GPU combination is the i5 and 5850. No one can say that will continue to be the case. If they do, they're lying (or just stupid). nVidia should be releasing new cards in a couple of months. Intel should be rolling out new CPUs soon as well. All you can really build for is what you want now, what you'll need in the near future, and the potential to upgrade later. With the i5/5850 for gaming, you get the best of the first and second one. AMD gives you the best of the third.

Solution