Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First PC/HTPC. Does this setup look ok to you guys?

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2009 2:47:58 PM

Hello,

I am about to build my first PC/ HTPC, and I wanted to make sure I've got everything correct before I go ahead and start purchasing the parts.

I will not be using this for any gaming but I will be multitasking a lot, driving two monitors, encoding videos and playing 1080p movies on my TV. I plan to add some type of graphics card that does 8ch audio over HDMI when I have more funds, but for now I will just use a Toslink and HDMI for video.

I listed the parts to the system I am planning to build below. Could someone please take a look at these parts and tell me:
1) Am I missing anything?
2) Am I going to run into any compatibly problems?
3) Any recommendations to improve this system or save money?

Case: Cooler Master Gladiator 600 $65
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550w $55
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD $99
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 $99
CPU Fan: XIGMATEK nepartak - s983 92mm HYPRO bearing $31
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) $92
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB $85
Optical: LG CH08LS10 Blu-ray Combo $120

Thanks in advance for any help!

More about : htpc setup guys

December 17, 2009 3:19:57 PM

It looks like you've done your homework on your parts. The only suggestion I can offer is that your power supply has many reviews saying how loud the fan is and that is an HTPC deal breaker. I suggest you go with a Corsair 400 or 450 or consider one of the Antec Earthwatts series.

Also, don't forget a wireless keyboard with trackball/touchpad and a MCE remote.
December 17, 2009 4:34:42 PM

srry for stealing the thread, any good wireless keyboard and MCE remote you suggest?
Related resources

Best solution

December 17, 2009 4:49:04 PM

Just giving it a quick once over, that DOES look pretty good. Only recommendation that I'd make (which goes with rwpritchett's comment) is to replace the PSU with a Nexus Value 430. You'll pay a bit more ($80 on newegg) but it is absolutely silent, even though it's fan-cooled. It's a favourite on the Silent PC Review (SPCR) website.

That should give you plenty of leeway for a passively cooled GPU with audio over HDMI in the future.

EDIT: Completely missed the question about HTPC keyboards and remotes :p 

If you have the money, the Logitech DiNovo series are perfect- both the Edge and the Mini are awesome. My friend has a Mini and it's a lot of fun to use (although you do end up reverting to your thumbs a lot of the time, since it's so small). Whether you go for the Mini or the Edge depends on what you're planning to use it for.

If, like most people, you don't have the money to spend $140+ on a keyboard with a built in touchpad, there's something like the Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000. For $90 you get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and for extra kudos the keyboard has a built in MC remote.

If you're hoping to spend as little as possible, something like the Moneual Lab wireless keyboard could be a good idea. It's 2.4GHz wireless as opposed to RF or Bluetooth, which means it won't have the best battery life, but it's $30 and it's got a built in trackball so you don't need to worry about having a separate mouse.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about MC remotes, so I can't help you there, but hopefully that'll give you an idea of what kind of MC keyboard to get :) 
December 17, 2009 8:01:24 PM

Will a 400w PSU be enough power? I plan on adding a graphics card later. Nothing hardcore, but something to get HD audio over HDMI. Will a 400w PSU still be adequate after adding something like this?

As for MCE remote, I should be getting one donated to me by a friend so i'm holding off on that.

Thanks again!
December 17, 2009 9:41:48 PM

As I said, you should have plenty of leeway for a smaller, passively cooled graphics card with HDMI/audio. You could even get a 5850 in there if that's your thing.
December 17, 2009 10:55:05 PM

brutalspoon said:
As I said, you should have plenty of leeway for a smaller, passively cooled graphics card with HDMI/audio. You could even get a 5850 in there if that's your thing.

Awesome! Thank you for all your help.

Thank you rwpritchett as well, I appreciate your advise.
December 18, 2009 1:25:01 PM

does 400W enuf to power 5770? just curious
December 18, 2009 2:09:40 PM

It depends on the quality of the PSU and how many +12V amps are available. For example, the Corsair 400W has 30A on the +12V (the above mentioned Nexus has 33A), while 400W crap brands like Aprevia/Raidmax/Coolmax/Athena may only have 20-25A.

If you get a good quality brand with ≥30A on the +12V you'll be just fine for pretty much any single graphics card, including a 5770.

P.S. I use the before mentioned $30 Moneual MK700 wireless keyboard with my HTPC and it works great for me.
December 18, 2009 7:21:00 PM

Instead of the keyboard, isn't there a remote control that does the keyboard job? so that it would look like a real home theater
December 18, 2009 9:12:00 PM

Any MC remote will work. A remote can be used about 90% of the time using a HTPC. I find it very hard to not use a keyboard in some instances. For example, scrolling through my growing movie collection one row at a time is not fun with a remote... I'd rather press the "S" key to skip ahead to the "S" movies. Same with the music library.

nMediaPC and Gyration sell wireless keyboard + MC remote combos. You could also buy a logitech harmony to do the job.
December 18, 2009 9:50:44 PM

rwpritchett said:
Any MC remote will work. A remote can be used about 90% of the time using a HTPC. I find it very hard to not use a keyboard in some instances. For example, scrolling through my growing movie collection one row at a time is not fun with a remote... I'd rather press the "S" key to skip ahead to the "S" movies. Same with the music library.

nMediaPC and Gyration sell wireless keyboard + MC remote combos. You could also buy a logitech harmony to do the job.

The only problem with those is that you're spending half as much as you're spending on the actual PC. I suppose it all depends on how much you'd prefer to have a remote over a keyboard, although as you say most of the time it's better to have a keyboard of some description instead. For the same price as the cheaper of those two you could have the Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000 kit, which I would say is a MUCH better decision, seeing as it's a fullsize keyboard but it's made to fit in with a home theater (especially since it has a built in MC controller). It does take up more space, though!
!