No video problem

tdk08

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
So I've had this PC for about a little over six months and I haven't had any problems like this. Specs:

MB: ASUS M2A-VM
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
RAM: Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667
HDD: 500GB Hitachi Deskstar Sata
Video: Here
PSU: Here

So here's the timeline: bought the video card and psu that are in the specs to replace the integrated video i was using and the psu to replace a 300W one. Yesterday, the psu arrived and so I replaced the old one with no problems. Today, the video card arrived and I popped it in and turned it on. Here's where I might have made a mistake: the adapter that came with the card went from 2 4-pin inputs from the psu into the 6-pin that powers the card, and I only plugged in one of the 4-pin plugs and so only 3 of the 6 pins were getting power the first time I turned it on. I quickly realized my mistake, turned it off and plugged the other one in. After installing the new card, there is no video, no beeps, all fans run and hdd spins. Same problem even when I switch back to the integrated video. Also, after I turn the pc on with the power button, it wont shut down unless I manually flip the switch on the back of the psu. I don't know what to do, I've checked all connections a million and one times and I don't know what else to try. Did I screw something up? Thanks in advance :(

Solution
There is a fair chance that the power circuit in the PCIe lanes got damaged and therefore the GPU might be alright. If the GPU is under warranty you could always RMA it after you replaced the Motherboard since your replacement has onboard graphics. Just say it doesn't work.
The PSU is the single most important component of the Computer. You have just trusted your whole system to a less than 20dollar PSU. A low price like that points to low quality construction out of low quality parts. When one of those parts fails it is very likely that it will take some other part of the computer with it maybe your 100 dollar GPU.
I would start by replacing the PSU and hope for the best with the GPU.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
If you replace the PSU and the no video problem remains, try doing what was done here: http: //www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-276319_15_0.html
Though he had beeps but also problem with the video even if switched to the old one.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
A respectable PSU is an investment that SHOULD carry over to a 2nd system a few years down the road. I'd much rather have an ugly case, a processor that is one tier lower, or give up a sound card if it means I can have a quality PSU. If you're cutting corners in the PSU department, you should seriously consider cutting back on some other component instead. No one said PC gaming was cheap.

tdk08

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
ok, so I went out and bought a $100 650w corsair and came back, hooked it up and it still doesn't work... I'm thinking the obvious problem now is the motherboard, so the question is, can I still use the cpu with a new board? thanks for all the help also :)

tdk08

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
So I guess the mb is the problem, how about this one for replacement? I just need something that works. Also, how likely is it that the video card is damaged too? I really hope not but I don't have another machine to test it with...

There is a fair chance that the power circuit in the PCIe lanes got damaged and therefore the GPU might be alright. If the GPU is under warranty you could always RMA it after you replaced the Motherboard since your replacement has onboard graphics. Just say it doesn't work.

Solution

tdk08

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

So I ordered the new MB and just wanted to be sure: If the video card is damaged and I put it in the new MB, is there any way the MB or anything else could get damaged?