HDD went to sleep during DBAN - what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiaobao12

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hi all,

Last night, I ran DBAN. This morning, only 4 percent was finished. My HD's shutdown after a few minutes due to inactivity I guess and I can't figure out how to disable this. I've looked in the BIOS under power management options but I am only able to select S1 or S3. There are 2 other options: AC Power Recovery (off) and Low Power Mode (disabled).

I am running a Dell Dimension 4600, 2.66 GHZ, 4 GB RAM. Bios version 12. Windows 7 32 bit (am getting repeated BSODs and error messages, which lead me to want to wipe completely and reinstall).

Can somebody help? Thanks. I've spent more than 5 days dealing with problems since I decided to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7.

Solution
If these are green drives, I don't think you can prevent them from spinning down. I'm not even sure you can do that on regular drives without a drive firmware update. You should be able to prevent them from spinning down in windows by going to the control panel/power settings like nikkor said.
There is no need to use DBAN. Simply rerun the windows 7 installer. At a certain point, you are given the option to create/delete partitions. Just delete all partitions and create a new one to install windows onto. Continue with the instalation once you've created a new partition.

Edit: I forgot to mention to use "custom install".

If these are green drives, I don't think you can prevent them from spinning down. I'm not even sure you can do that on regular drives without a drive firmware update. You should be able to prevent them from spinning down in windows by going to the control panel/power settings like nikkor said.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.