Sign in with
Your question

Western digital 320gb hard drive master password

Last response: in Storage
November 25, 2011 12:50:47 PM

In a toshiba satalite, when booting it asks for a hdd password.
I cannot change the password or remove it under the bios menu wth out knowing the password. The password was never set nor is it the default "xx".
The toshiba boots up fine with diffrent sata hdd.
I installed the WD sata hdd into my thinkpad and it asks for "master password" to boot from hdd.
Tried installing a new os and windows will not install on the hdd.
Kill disk via external usb cable gives and error code.
I tried rebuilding the MBR, with no success.

a c 277 G Storage
November 25, 2011 1:19:58 PM

If you are willing to lose whatever files are on the drive, you can try a Secure Erase to re-initialize the drive.
If you want to access the drive, the forum has a rule against posting on getting around passwords.
November 25, 2011 1:36:49 PM

If it is asking for a HDD password it has most likely encrypted the HDD.
It will have encrypted it using a cypher derived from the drive itself.
The only way around this without hours of work extracting code from the HDD bios itself is to type in the password.
Related resources
November 26, 2011 4:15:24 AM

WyomingKnott said:
If you are willing to lose whatever files are on the drive, you can try a Secure Erase to re-initialize the drive.
If you want to access the drive, the forum has a rule against posting on getting around passwords.

1st of alll thku.... f u r reply....
i am wilng 4 formt d dive but only i enter pswd 4 enter d hrdisk...i u use lts of frmting tool but i cnt acccs d hrddrve....
a b G Storage
November 26, 2011 5:12:31 AM

I'm guessing encrypted drive as well. Nothing you can do other then typing it in. Thats the point of encrypting it.
a c 271 G Storage
November 27, 2011 6:24:11 PM

sreegesh wrote ...

"1st of alll thku.... f u r reply....
i am wilng 4 formt d dive but only i enter pswd 4 enter d hrdisk...i u use lts of frmting tool but i cnt acccs d hrddrve...."

Please write using plain English, not unintelligible SMS-ese rubbish.
January 23, 2013 6:52:29 AM

hi i want rimove password hard drive ?
!