Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Solving what is causing my computer to freeze.

Last response: in Memory
July 5, 2010 9:41:14 AM

Issue: Computer freezes randomly- the screen and application is frozen, and move cursor cannot be moved. Sometimes the computer will last 2 hours, sometimes 2minutes. It has been sporadic as it freezes while under heavy load from games, music, movies or even sitting idle. Also, a high pitched noise comes from the tower when it is frozen. It seems to be coming from the RAM or CPU, but I cannot tell as the parts are too close together.

Running BurnInTest: Ran BurnInTest for the first time and the error came up was under RAM "Error Verifying Data on RAM". After checking what this meant in the help section and found
"The data written to memory is not the same as the information read from memory. This is a very serious error, much like the “Incorrect mathematical…”, error above. It’s highly likely that your computer is about to crash or lock up."
I tried to run the RAM test again to confirm faulty RAM. However, no errors came up subsequently (under two tests - 50% and 100% load). Have also tried Memtest86 and no errors found there.

Are there any suggestions as to whether I can clarify it is my RAM that is causing my computer to freeze?
a b } Memory
July 5, 2010 10:09:30 AM

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html
Run that for 8+ hours. If you get a single error, then it has to do with your memory...
Bad memory can cause the PC to crash during startup, 5 minutes after startup, or even a week after startup. It's really just random depending on when the bad sector is used, or when the timing gets overloaded due to bad timing.
You can try 1 stick at a time to narrow it down.. It could be more than 1 stick also.

As far as the high pitch noises... I don't know what could be causing that right off hand. Maybe you're keyboard? Doubt it, not sure. Just make sure the video and sound card drivers are up to date
m
l
July 5, 2010 10:27:58 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will run memtest for 8+ hours now and hopefully it can identify something.

The high pitch noise is actually coming from the tower. I would say that the source of the sound is where the RAM or CPU is located on the motherboard. However, it is hard to tell when they are so close to each other. The high pitch sound comes and goes, but is permanent when the computer freezes.
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2010 10:44:26 AM

Reseat the RAM and all periphial cards to make sure they are seated correctly in the motherboard. Heat can make the motherboard warp slightly allowing cards to creep out of their slots. I had a similar issue when my XFI Sound Card was not quite seated in its slot.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 5, 2010 1:27:30 PM

High pitch sounds like a fan what are your temps?
m
l
July 6, 2010 1:07:55 AM

I ran memtest for 13 hours and no errors were found. Tried to reseat the RAM as well. The temperatures are very stable. The CPU is at 41-43 degrees and Motherboard running at around 24 degrees.

The computer is still freezing. What is the next step?
m
l
a b } Memory
July 6, 2010 1:20:38 AM

What's your graphics card, HDD and most of all, what PSU? I had to fix a similar problem the other day, and I can probably help.
m
l
July 6, 2010 1:45:17 AM

Graphics Card - Gainward GTS250 1gb "Deep Green"
http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=225

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=301

PSU - Silverstone 500W http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/silverstone_sst...

Other Info:
CPU: AMD x4 965BE
Motherboard: Asus m4a79xtd evo http://www.asus.com.au/product.aspx?P_ID=vk9Pqxby9MjO0W...
RAM: 4GB Gskill DDR3 1600 http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=88

Please note that the high pitch noise does not always occur when frozen. Although it occurs around half of the time.

The computer was also sent from a mate from another state. When i received it from the courier, the case was all banged up and some plugs were loose. However, it was bubblewrapped inside the tower and outside.

The first freeze occurred during the installation of windows 7 x64 (near the end). However, I kicked the restart button thinking I'd need to reinstall but everything seemed to have worked.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 6, 2010 2:04:13 AM

Could be the fact that it had wrapping on the inside, some may still be on the board somewhere.. Does the PSU get hot or smell like burning dust at all when the PC freezes? Does the graphics card get hot at all? Have you got the absolute newest nVidia drivers installed, and have you disabled sleep mode? I know the sleep mode one sounds a little weird, but a lot of Windows 7 x64 freezing problems i've fixed are because of sleep mode, even if the PC never enters it.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 6, 2010 2:14:32 AM

The other problem I can think of is an overloaded PSU. I'm having the overload problem at the moment, and mine is a 500W too. Running extra fans, long term use, extra PCI cards, it all adds up, and eventually, the PSU just can't handle it anymore.

My E8500, 4Gb of DDR2 RAM, single HDD, DVD drive, wireless card, sound card, and HD4850 have started to overload my PSU in the last few weeks, and it's mainly due to how damn old this thing is, it was made 3 years ago, and it's aged badly. I used to have my PC on 24/7, I've only turned it off at night in the last month or so.

Keep that in mind.
m
l
July 6, 2010 2:15:59 AM

I've just checked for any remains of bubblewrap and could not find any. The PSU does not give off any smell nor does it get hot. The graphics card temperature has been stable as well. All drivers are the newest too. I not have tried the sleep mode solution but will do that now. Will let you know how that goes.
m
l
July 6, 2010 2:23:17 AM

Disabling sleep mode and hybrid sleep mode did not resolve the issue. The computer froze again within 1minute of applying the changes.

Is there a definitive way of checking whether the PSU needs replacing? I didnt think that was the issue since the computer also freezes when sitting idle.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 6, 2010 2:50:59 AM

Have you tried breadboarding to ensure that nothing in the PC is faulty? I think it was Bilbat that posted a little guide on how to do it.

Basically, take the internals out, all of them. Mount the board on something that doesn't conduct electricity, like antistatic wrap or a motherboard box, and test just the bare essentials first. I'll see if I can find that thing for you.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 6, 2010 3:06:23 AM

Alright, I found the thread where he shows how to breadboard.

Give it a look

I've done this once or twice to solve some issues, and it makes it so much easier. I can't say that this will fix it, but there's no harm in trying, especially if these crashes have made the PC unusable.
m
l
July 6, 2010 3:20:24 AM

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my knowledge on assembling/disassembling a computer only goes so far and I'm afraid of actually trying out breadboarding.

The freezing and high pitch noise has actually increased since trying memtest/reseating.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 6, 2010 3:26:31 AM

Have you got a different graphics card you could try?
m
l
a b } Memory
July 6, 2010 3:27:26 AM

That makes me think your harddrive is going out. Do you have another drive to install windows on so that you can boot from a different drive? That would explain the high pitch noise AND the computer freezing and the extended usage of it making it worse.

Fans aren't going to make the noise just because the pc freezes. Solid computer chips don't make that noise either... but a harddrive struggling to read or turn or do anything, will make that noise. If the PC freezes due to a harddrive failing, and the harddrive is in its squeeking grinding state trying to get the info the PC needs but failing to do so, would explain the freeze or crash or slowing down of the PC.
m
l
July 6, 2010 4:15:06 AM

I'm testing out a different vid card now using a GT220. So far there has been no high pitch noise.

I think I can isolate it down to the PSU or Graphics. I'm leaning more towards PSU because the computer has been able to handle the GT220 because the "Minimum Recommended System Power (W)" is 300W compared to the 500W for the GTS250.

I will let it run a bit longer and see how things go. Fingers crossed.

I was told it could be the hard drive too. However the noise isnt coming from the harddrive, and unfortunately I do not have a spare to test.

m
l
a b } Memory
July 6, 2010 4:18:45 AM

This is good, I was thinking that if the noise could be cause by the card, but I wasn't sure. I had a similar problem a year or so ago with my old 8500GT. One day, it made a horrible sound and froze my computer. It was the GPU screaming "I don't wanna work anymore".
m
l
July 6, 2010 2:39:52 PM

Well I've changed the PSU and it seemed to be working fine at the shops. However, I've brought it home and it wont even load windows. It stays frozen at the "starting windows" screen and will load about 20% of the time. I will run windows repair later to see if it helps.

I think that narrows it down to either graphics card or harddrive issues. Anyone with info out there for me to check up on that?
m
l
a b } Memory
July 6, 2010 5:13:35 PM

If you have a Ubuntu cd laying around, dump that in, run it as a live CD, and that will help narrow it down further. Did you try the GT220 with current PSU and same HDD? If not, give it a try, lock ups will help narrow it down again.
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 22, 2012 9:26:09 AM

My PC has the same issues.
Only no high pitch sound.
Its on repair now and expert told me its either Hard Drive or RAM.
Ill tell you later what one was it.
PS: my pc freezes even if i am doing nothing on it.
m
l
February 20, 2013 6:26:36 PM

sounds more of a hardware issue due to ram or otherwise. but i had this exact problem once before,make sure to not overlook the HDD as well. i went crazy troubleshooting mine and the hdd was damaged/corrupt causing lock ups usually after 24hrs up time straight. while this may NOT be the case for you, its also possible that your HDD is damaged as well. from what Ive experienced with "lock ups" where everything freezes is usually due to RAM or hard disk failure, where data stops being transferred. do you or have you applied any overclocking?
m
l
a b } Memory
February 21, 2013 12:41:55 PM

Before not blaming G.Skill, see what happens with only Samsung installed.
m
l
April 26, 2013 12:23:04 PM

Anonymous said:
My PC has the same issues.
Only no high pitch sound.
Its on repair now and expert told me its either Hard Drive or RAM.
Ill tell you later what one was it.
PS: my pc freezes even if i am doing nothing on it.

m
l
April 26, 2013 12:26:14 PM

could you tell me what was causing the problem ??
m
l
April 28, 2013 4:45:13 PM

I'd say that the hdd is the culprit considering that the install of OS almost failed.
Next time it squeals, open the side panel of the case and "look" for the direction of the sound.
m
l
a b } Memory
April 28, 2013 10:30:17 PM

You can quite easily make a bootable usb with linux to see if its the hard drive or someting else thats causing the problem. I won't go into the details as a quite search will lead you to better instructions than I can give.

If you still have problems then probably Graphics, I don't think you have integrated graphics so maybe borrow someones for a quick test. If that fails then maybe RAM. I know you said no errors but how long did you run the test for? Think of the maximum time your computer has gone without crashing and run memtest from USB for 1.5x as long. If you look on memtest website they explain it is entirely possible for "bad" ram to pass a single read write but fail on subsiquent runs, so you really need to let it run a long time to be sure.
Also the noise makes me think it's definately a hardware issue but since your OS didn't complete the install properly it wouldn't hurt to re-install.
m
l
May 4, 2013 1:06:06 PM

Did you resolve the issue?
This Question has had 20,817 reads so I'd think we'd need to come to some sort of conclusion or result otherwise there could be as many as 18,000 people with depression. lol
m
l
May 16, 2013 2:06:28 PM

Most likely, I've add a reply to that Question.

You could try to use the Run Command
CHKDSK /F or CHKDSK /R
/F might take up to an hour for a bad hdd but /R might take as long as 6 hours to try to fix the problem. Try the /F first.

It's not necessarily the ram or CPU, both of them, including the video card vram, use the hdd for supported virtual memory.

Edit -

The squealing is probably coming from the hdd, the RW arm is loose.
m
l
May 16, 2013 2:42:12 PM

Have you tried new RAM?
m
l
August 22, 2013 5:39:47 AM

you can try ruling out some possible issues if your able to get your system running long enough to do so, running stress tests like prime 95, and memtest but memtest is stand alone that doesnt require the OS to be in operation. this will at least be able to lead you in the right direction and be able to eliminate certain components of the system to find the culprit. i will still agree with either ram or HDD. my money is on the HDD though.
m
l
August 27, 2013 5:59:20 AM

I doubt he will be watching this post since he hasn't replied from 2010...Although I have this problem with my new PC build...I changed the motherboard and CPU, kept the same GPU, RAM and PSU. As far as I can remember the first week or 2 with the new PC I had no problems. But when my PC freezes up, sometimes the sound also freezes up and loops for a second then slowly the mouse movement stops, then everything stops and its just frozen on the same picture. When I restart everything is normal, but for some reason my wireless wifi dongle keeps being disconnected when the restart has occured only after a crash like this, saying disconnected, with the obvious message "no connections available", after I take it out and put it back in its working. I am running 2 drives (not in raid) an SSD and an HDD. RAM is old but good, seems to be working fine, CPU...seems ok from my point of view (done thermal tests on, CPU doesn't go over 72 degrees C, GPU doesn't even reach 60 degrees C with an overclock. RAM is stock no overclock not done any testing on it though)
m
l
September 3, 2013 5:12:30 PM

tiz said:
I doubt he will be watching this post since he hasn't replied from 2010...Although I have this problem with my new PC build...I changed the motherboard and CPU, kept the same GPU, RAM and PSU. As far as I can remember the first week or 2 with the new PC I had no problems. But when my PC freezes up, sometimes the sound also freezes up and loops for a second then slowly the mouse movement stops, then everything stops and its just frozen on the same picture. When I restart everything is normal, but for some reason my wireless wifi dongle keeps being disconnected when the restart has occured only after a crash like this, saying disconnected, with the obvious message "no connections available", after I take it out and put it back in its working. I am running 2 drives (not in raid) an SSD and an HDD. RAM is old but good, seems to be working fine, CPU...seems ok from my point of view (done thermal tests on, CPU doesn't go over 72 degrees C, GPU doesn't even reach 60 degrees C with an overclock. RAM is stock no overclock not done any testing on it though)

in my experience which i have had that same exact thing, where the sound will loop or bzzzzzzz sound or other times where it will just lock and the mouse will move for around 30 seconds but you can't click nothing and eventually the mouse will stop responding and the whole system locks. very aggravating. in my own experience though, this has been brought out mainly due to drivers and the hard drive. if possible the best way to troubleshoot such an issue is a fresh install of windows. or try a different hard drive. un install new drivers if possible. and run some stress tests if needed. this indeed is a very troublesome problem but i hope yall get it resolved.
m
l

Best solution

September 30, 2013 4:58:08 AM

ThomasW said:
Issue: Computer freezes randomly- the screen and application is frozen, and move cursor cannot be moved. Sometimes the computer will last 2 hours, sometimes 2minutes. It has been sporadic as it freezes while under heavy load from games, music, movies or even sitting idle. Also, a high pitched noise comes from the tower when it is frozen. It seems to be coming from the RAM or CPU, but I cannot tell as the parts are too close together.

Running BurnInTest: Ran BurnInTest for the first time and the error came up was under RAM "Error Verifying Data on RAM". After checking what this meant in the help section and found
"The data written to memory is not the same as the information read from memory. This is a very serious error, much like the “Incorrect mathematical…”, error above. It’s highly likely that your computer is about to crash or lock up."
I tried to run the RAM test again to confirm faulty RAM. However, no errors came up subsequently (under two tests - 50% and 100% load). Have also tried Memtest86 and no errors found there.

Are there any suggestions as to whether I can clarify it is my RAM that is causing my computer to freeze?

Quite a number of years ago I had the same issue. It turned out to be a capacitor that was getting ready to blow, but was still functioning enough for (mostly) normal operation until it finally blew during an electrical storm. You might try a different motherboard if you can.
December 8, 2013 9:14:37 AM

Removing and reinstalling graphic card solved the problem in my ACer Aspire several times. The problem reoccurs from time to time. Temp monitor shows temp. for CPU at constant 96 degrees C. Even immidiately after startup in morning. I thought perhaps the temperature sensor may fail. Have not checked this yet but will do so. The high pitched noise seems to be caused by extra fast running cpu fan or HDD. The problem occurs same while running ubuntu or running windows. I am pretty sure it is a hardware problem.
Hope this will help to solve the problem.
Michel
m
l
July 7, 2014 7:59:02 AM

I have the same problem right now. Actually i experienced this 2 years ago, my friend tech replaced my motherboard and it goes smoothly. And now again i have the same issue. I reinstall my os but the comp didnt hang during the 3 hours installation. And now im about to use it, it hang... what shall i do. Help.
m
l
July 13, 2014 7:35:57 AM

ThomasW said:

its the ram, when the ram comes loose the computers motherboard will give you a fast beeping noise, just take the ram out and blow it of dust, DONT TOUCH IT as the oils on your hand can really damage it, just blow the dust off and insert it back in tight and you should be good to go, if the problem continues after that then you hvae a bad ram on your hands buddy. GOODLUCK! when i say dont touch i mean dont touch the connection part
m
l
!