5870 low framerate

sincrest

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I just got a 5870 and i don't seem to be getting good frames in game i get 30-50fps in resident evil 5 20-40 in world in conflict average 40fps in dawn of war 2 world of warcraft anywhere from 35-100 and from reading reviews I should be getting more then this is my card defective or is it something else.Was suggested that i buy a new motherboard but want to make sure its not my gpu that is at fault before i spend money.

Using a q6600 at 3ghz with a p5n-e sli motherboard

Make sure you are running the latest drivers, NOT from the CD that it came with. The latest are the 9.11 from the AMD site. I have heard nothing but issues from people who loaded from the CD.

I didn't even bother with the CD, never do. I loaded them from the site and haven't had ANY issues with my 5870.

This maybe a dumb question(s) but how much ram do you have, what the speed is it, and is it in dual or single channel? (system ram. not video ram)

My guess is, maybe the HDD is slowing your system down.

Can you give us all the specs of you computer? this may help us better.

Well ram out of the question.... the last thing i can think of is your HDD. How old is your HDD and can you give us you model number of the HDD?

As other's have said your system should be able to run these at higher Frame rates. If it's not hardware related, then it has to be drivers.