Sign in with
Your question

question about setting 4 sticks ram for triple channel motherboard

Last response: in Memory
July 5, 2010 12:20:14 PM

Please help me to set up the best performance for my computer

First, I have the ASUS P6X58D-E LGA Intel X58 Intel Motherboard that support triple channel memory. Then, I bought 1 set of triple channel G.skill Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Cas Latency 9 Timing 9-9-9-27-2N Voltage 1.6V

and 1 set of dual channel OCZ Reaper 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Cas Latency 9 Timing 9-9-9-30 Voltage 1.65V dual channel. So totally I have 5 sticks of ram.

However, 1 stick of G.skill ram is defective. and I already returned that ram for replacement. It will take 2 months for me to receive a new one(since I'm oversea).

While waiting for the replacement, I really want to use 4 sticks of working ram for my computer. so how do i setup these rams to achieve the best performance of my computer? . (I presume to runs at 1600mhz instead of 2000mhz), my motherboard has A1/B1/C1 and A2/B2/C2 RAM SLOT.

After that when I received the replacement, how do I change the setting of 5 sticks ram to achieve the best performance. (I really don't want to spend more money for the extra ram to full up 6 lots)

Please help me in detail for the setting because I'm not really good on this.
I'm really appreciated for any helps, forgive me for my bad Computer skill.
thanks
a b V Motherboard
July 5, 2010 3:34:02 PM

Just put the 2 pieces of GSkill in A1/B1 and the two OCZ in A2/B2, with any luck it will run in dual channel.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 5, 2010 4:02:03 PM

Use A1, A2, B1, B2 to run in dual channel (odd numbers of DIMMs always run single channel, if at all); put in one stick of G.Skill, enable XMP, write down all memory settings (not just CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS, all of 'em - including Vdimm and QPI/Vtt), disable XMP; power down; take out DIMM, put in one stick of OCZ; again, enable XMP, write down all memory settings; disable XMP; change voltage and RAM settings to manual; go through your 'table of settings', comparing the two lists - set each latency to the highest of the two figures, except for tRFC - set that to the highest figure plus fifteen percent, rounded to the next higher number; the memory multiplier to the lowest of the two; set uncore mutiplier to twice the memory multiplier plus one; the QPI/Vtt to the highest of the two; the Vdimm to the highest of the two plus a couple of hundreths; check that QPI/Vtt and Vdimm are within a half volt of each other - if not, raise QPI; double check that 'command' or 'command rate' is set to '2t' or '2n', whichever your board lists; save your settings; power down and 'shovel in' the four sticks, see if she works!

'Mixing and matching' RAM is always a bad idea, but if there's a chance of it working, this procedure should cover it...
m
l
!