Status
Not open for further replies.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I have a 3570k right now and planning to exchange for a 3770k. Mobo is Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3. I need to reach 5.0ghz on my gaming PC. I was looking into the H100 but it doesn't look like It will be able to reach the 5.0 mark due to Ivy Bridge OC temperatures and may need a more powerful cooler. This will be my first watercooloing setup so a closed fixed system would be best.

Are there any more closed watercooloing systems that will get temps down more without going to a custom water setup? If not how much would a custom water setup for my needs cost? My Budget is @ $300. First time water cooling so if a custom cooling is only option then a complete kit would be best.

Any sub ambient systems for @$300?

Reason for high cpu OC is so it wont bottleneck my gtx 670 4-way sli.

Solution
no closed fixed system, all need to be isntalled , filled, primed and leak tested for 8 hrs before calling it a successful watercooling venture.

no sub ambient temps with that budget - in fact peltier cooling isn't all that it is, cyberpower did it and they've patented their cryo thingy. we can do it too but its too much hassle and you need to get rid of the peltiers heat before you can address the hardwares heat (and the power to do so)

all understandable but you might want o read up on the watercooling sticky in my sig and realize what you really need for that setup you have :)

Lutfij

Titan
no closed fixed system, all need to be isntalled , filled, primed and leak tested for 8 hrs before calling it a successful watercooling venture.

no sub ambient temps with that budget - in fact peltier cooling isn't all that it is, cyberpower did it and they've patented their cryo thingy. we can do it too but its too much hassle and you need to get rid of the peltiers heat before you can address the hardwares heat (and the power to do so)

all understandable but you might want o read up on the watercooling sticky in my sig and realize what you really need for that setup you have :)

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Your CPU will still be a bottleneck, even when overclocked...but why the need for 4x 670's? Why not just run 2 or 3 way 680s?

For $300 you can do sub-ambient, but with LN2, liquid helium or with a homemade phase change from an AC or fridge compressor.

For a CPU-only loop, $300 is well enough. To include the 4x 670's, you're looking at another $500+ (depending on cooling blocks chosen).

Sub ambient water costs hehe, not remotely possible on $300, best bet there is a Swiftech 220 or Xspc kit, but they are both Cpu only, to cool the cards as well is going to cost hard, even with uni blocks
As suggested, check the sticky, and draw up exactly whats getting cooled, and how much modding you are prepared to do,
If you want easy, no maintenance though, W/c is not the way for this build
Moto

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Well i already purchased 4 670s. The reason is that i needed the power to run 3 Asus VG278H 3d monitors for 5760x1080 "3d surround" or 5760x1080 @ 120hz. I was actually planning on getting 680 tri-sli at first then the 670s came out with almost same performance and $100 off the price. So and i could get the 680s x3 for $1500 or the 670 x4 for $1600. So it just seemed logical to get the 670s. And the gtx 670s scaling is great with applications that are not heavily CPU dependent, like Unengine Heaven. But then BF3(my favorite game) i saw lower GPU usage in only some campaign levels and always low online 50-60% utilization on each GPU, while other BF3 levels would be 90-100% GPU utilization.

In the BF3 level with low GPU utilization (and framerate) I overclocked my current 3570 to 4.6ghz (with my hyper 212) and it increase my GPU utilization to 70-80% utilization with framerate increasing 15-20%. So i figure 5Ghz will get me close to 90% utilization in those trouble areas(online multiplayer mostly important to me). Does that sound right, what do you think?

An fridge compressor?? Thats awesome! I dont think i have that in me though. But wow that would be fun!

BTW Amazing Water Cooling Guide Ryan. Very informative. Thanks :hello:

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

I plan to only water cool the CPU at this point. I dont see a need to have extra cooling for the GPUs. The 670s run really cool compared to any card i have seen and even sandwiched together on my mobo the tmax has only been @ 70 degrees on full load with mild OC. No need to OC the GPUs further at this point because if i get 90-100% GPU utilization my framerate will be @ 120fps (which is my current goal) on BF3 5760x1080 with ultra settings with some tweeking of anti-aliasing.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
If i do need more than 5 Ghz to get rid of my CPU bottleneck, then what is the cheapest i can get a decent sub ambient cooler? The cheapest i have found is this Cooler Express http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6233/ex-vap-15/Cooler_Express_2012_Super_Single_Evaporator_CPU_Cooling_Unit_w_Upgraded_Socket_Kit_-_All_Sockets_478_754_775_1155_1156_1366_2011_939_940_AM2_Xeon_CE-48-S-1C.html?tl=g30c367

Ive read Ivy Bridge does amazingly well on sub ambient cooling well above 5.0 Ghz. And the reviews on this Cooler Express states that its easier to setup than a custom water system.

Is this around the price for a CPU only sub ambient? I might be able to save up for a $500 cooling system(if it gets me to where i need to go) but $800 for cooling hurts.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
high end water cooling is not something you do with a budget in mind. its normally i want to cool x and it will cost what ever it costs and i'm ok with that.

have you considered looking into Socket 2011 rather than strap the crap out of the 3770k. even get a socket 2011 board and a cheap CPU to match and wait for IVY Bridge E to come out. (i am 90% sure from what i have read that SB and IB as well as SB-E and IB-E will have the same sockets and compatibility.)

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

I wish I had an unlimited budget, that would definitly make things easier. Unfortunately I don't. So I just want to get the components I need at the best price to achieve the goal that I have set out for myself.

A guy on another forum had a 3960X /X79/ 680 4-way SLI and he needed a 5.0ghz on that massive CPU to alleviate any bottleneck. So I'm going to try to make the best of the components I currently have.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
only way to achieve it is with big money or an open-loop style. open loop are easy and dirt cheap. just need the pump, cpu block, some tubing and an ice chest full of ice blocks and water.

alternately you could close the loop in the system and put the radiator in the ice chest with a small aquarium water pump pushing the ice cold water through the radiator. This still requires adding ice to the system, but is safer since its a closed loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.