Sign in with
Your question

Intel I7 870 Cant overclock...

Last response: in Overclocking
June 18, 2012 11:40:16 PM

Hi,

I stupidly bought my first 'gaming PC' from PC world back in 2011. Looking round now Ive seen so many much better computers with higher specs i could have afforded if i had waited........but no....Now im stuck with an Intel I7 870 with a mobo which cant overclock and a PLL which isnt known by any FSB overclocking sofware....
Ive looked at Itels website and it says my CPU's limit is 3.4 GHZ and its stuck at 2.8 at the moment. The games i play are very CPU hungry and good frames are hard to get when your CPU is stuck at 2.8Ghz :(  The BIOS dosent have the options to overclock and the PLL dosent exist according to SetFSb, Clockgen dosent work and ive tried everything :( 

Is there anyway i can overclock? :( 

Thanks for any help

Ben

Intel core I7 870 (2.8Ghz)
Nvidia Geforce 550TI
6GB Ram DDR3
Intels crappy standard Mobo -.-

More about : intel 870 overclock

June 19, 2012 12:09:05 AM

Sorry sir but your stuck. Best bet is to find a nice deal on a SB/IB cpu mobo combo as prices are low. Good news is you can still utilize everything else in your computer ;) . Or you can try to find a compatible mobo that supports OCing
June 19, 2012 10:45:47 AM

Okay thanks :D  just dident want to waste my time, i have my eye on a mobo thats a LGA1156 and supports overclocking, thanks again
August 6, 2012 5:53:48 AM

benzipz said:
Hi,

I stupidly bought my first 'gaming PC' from PC world back in 2011. Looking round now Ive seen so many much better computers with higher specs i could have afforded if i had waited........but no....Now im stuck with an Intel I7 870 with a mobo which cant overclock and a PLL which isnt known by any FSB overclocking sofware....
Ive looked at Itels website and it says my CPU's limit is 3.4 GHZ and its stuck at 2.8 at the moment. The games i play are very CPU hungry and good frames are hard to get when your CPU is stuck at 2.8Ghz :(  The BIOS dosent have the options to overclock and the PLL dosent exist according to SetFSb, Clockgen dosent work and ive tried everything :( 

Is there anyway i can overclock? :( 

Thanks for any help

Ben

Intel core I7 870 (2.8Ghz)
Nvidia Geforce 550TI
6GB Ram DDR3
Intels crappy standard Mobo -.-

Know it's a bit old thread but yes you can oc either with the std mb(i think) or a new one.

The intel I7 870 is not 2.8 ghz it's 2.93ghz and 3.6ghz turbo (have the same cpu). I play crysis 2 with a gtx 550 ti and a Q6600 with no pronblems a i7 870 is faster, consider getting a new gpu, that would be best in imo
!