Sign in with
Your question
Solved

620W - Enough for overclocking?

Last response: in Overclocking
June 19, 2012 12:28:38 AM

To start things off, this is my current PSU;
http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_44...

I realize that the "is 620W enough?" question has been asked and answered on here a few times, and after reading through a couple of these threads I do feel pretty confident that it is, but I have a couple extra questions.

Would my 620W PSU be enough to power an overclocked GTX 670 as well as an overclock i5-3570K @ about 4.4-4.6Ghz?

I recently built my first rig and so far the 620W is holding up alright, but I haven't tried any OC'ing yet, and I feel as though I might be pressing a bit too hard if I choose to do so. ALSO, are there any dangerous repercussions of me trying to do so and failing? Am I going to fry my system if my PSU cops out on me while I'm trying to OC?

For reference these are my parts;
-Asus Sabertooth Z77
-i5-3570K
-Reference EVGA GTX 670
-My case is running 5 fans
-8gigs of 1600mhz G.Skill xJaws
-1TB 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda
-120gig Mushkin Chronos
-and when I start overclocking I'll be buy the cpu water cooler below;
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8...
-obvious peripherals like keyboard/mouse etc.

Sorry about listing every part of my computer as I'm sure it probably wasn't necessary and everything outside of the GPU and CPU probably don't even add up to 100W. But, again, does my 620W PSU give me enough headroom to OC my 670 and i5 to 4.6Ghz? Is it dangerous to try to push it - and am I pushing it? And if my 620W is too weak should I opt for a 750 or 800W PSU?

Thank you for you time.

More about : 620w overclocking

Best solution

a c 110 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 12:40:40 AM

You should be fine. :)  That PSU can provide 576W on the 12V rail, and even with an OC to both the CPU and GPU, you shouldn't have any problems.

And I recommend a Noctua NH-D14 for the cooler, not the H80.
June 19, 2012 12:47:03 AM

Thanks a lot :)  And are you sure about the Noctua? I thought water cooling was the way to go for processor overclocking
m
l
Related resources
a c 110 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 12:57:39 AM

nodoubtgenius said:
Thanks a lot :)  And are you sure about the Noctua? I thought water cooling was the way to go for processor overclocking

You're welcome, and the only reason to go with closed loop "water" is the novelty of it. The NH-D14 will perform as well, if not better and do it quieter.

Custom water is the only water cooling that makes sense to spend money on, IMO.
m
l
June 19, 2012 1:06:42 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
You're welcome, and the only reason to go with closed loop "water" is the novelty of it. The NH-D14 will perform as well, if not better and do it quieter.

Custom water is the only water cooling that makes sense to spend money on, IMO.

Well, thank you for all the input then. I'll be ordering/picking up the Noctua later this week and once I get it set up I'll let the overclocking begin =D What do you think would justify opting for a 750W+ PSU, though? Would I have enough power on my 620W for SLI 670s if I wanted (which I don't - just speaking theoretically here)?
m
l
June 19, 2012 1:07:18 AM

Best answer selected by NoDoubtGenius.
m
l
a c 110 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 1:15:56 AM

nodoubtgenius said:
Well, thank you for all the input then. I'll be ordering/picking up the Noctua later this week and once I get it set up I'll let the overclocking begin =D What do you think would justify opting for a 750W+ PSU, though? Would I have enough power on my 620W for SLI 670s if I wanted (which I don't - just speaking theoretically here)?

For SLI 670's (if or when you want to), I'd go with a 750W for sure.
m
l
June 19, 2012 1:44:27 AM

With SLI you are going to be cutting it really close, and with overclocking it's probably going to be too close.

Here are some links regarding power consumption:

670s in SLI are pulling 573 watts at full-load
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1925/13/

This link shows card power consumption independent of the rest of the system.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_6...

I'm not too familiar with that PSU, but does it have enough 6-pin connectors for two cards?

I'm running two 6950s in CrossFire with a 650W PSU, overclocked CPU, 5 case fans and an HDD + SSD, and have no problems but my cards consume a little less power. I would still prefer to have more headroom but my PSU is only a year old and I can't justify replacing it.

As the other poster noted, 750W is the way to go if you are considering SLI.
m
l
!