robwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Hi,
I have a Hewlett Packard IMEDIA J2411 running a Intel Duo Core E4400 2GHz CPU and have bought an Intel Duo Core E5400 2.66GHz CPU which I thought would be a simple job of just swapping them over BUT when i insert the new E5400 the computer will not even start/bootup so what I am trying to find out is WHY.
The motherboard is a LGA775 obviously so what could be the problem.
I have tried resetting the bios back to default and still it won't recognise the new E5400 CPU.
HELPPPPPPPPP someone please.

Regards
Robin

robwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Hi there thanks for quick reply.
No it literally won't start,you switch on (powers there ok) and it won't even boot into the bios.
Put the old CPU back in and it's ok.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
you need to update your bios to a newer version on a jump like that, IF the motherboard supports it

most HP crap I know usually says FU to the users that tries to upgrade (unless they offer the proc you are upgrading to on the exact same motherboard), as that means they can't sell a complete computer to you. Retail motherboards (computers you put together your self, or by venders using retail stuff) don't have this issue.

you may be *** out of luck here unless HP changed and updated the bios to allow for newer procs.

pumprnickelbred

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I'm assuming the cpu is seated properly and has power. If so then you might have gotten a bad processor. If possible try it in another computer and see what happens. If you can't then send it back for a new one. Hopefully you bought it from some one that allows returns. I suggest ordering from newegg.com they have good return policies on their products.

robwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Hiya chaps,
Sorry for delay in replying but it looks as though theholylancer could be right in that this HP crap is exactly that and won't allow me to upgrade.
I have the latest bios update installed but all options in the bios re FSB settings etc are all greyed out so you are unable to change any of them.
My original processor is obviously tied in with the motherboard with no option to be able to upgrade.(bastards)
Thanks for everyones advice much appreciated but it looks as though I am stuc with what I have (and a spare E5400 CPU) unless I put in a new motherboard.

robwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Hiya chaps,
Sorry for delay in replying but it looks as though theholylancer could be right in that this HP crap is exactly that and won't allow me to upgrade.
I have the latest bios update installed but all options in the bios re FSB settings etc are all greyed out so you are unable to change any of them.
My original processor is obviously tied in with the motherboard with no option to be able to upgrade.(bastards)
Thanks for everyones advice much appreciated but it looks as though I am stuc with what I have (and a spare E5400 CPU) unless I put in a new motherboard.