Sign in with
Your question

Asus or Gigabyte for novice/moderate overclocking

Last response: in Motherboards
July 5, 2010 4:30:45 PM

Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get some feedback on a motherboard selection for a brand new build I'm getting together. I know I want to go with either Gigabyte or Asus based on reputation/ratings, etc. I'm having a hard time making my final choice. Here are the other components I'm planning on using:

Case: Antec P183
Processor: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield
Graphics: Radeon HD 5850
Power: Corsair 750 TX
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB
DVD/Blue Ray: Lite On
Wireless Card: Edimax 32 bit 802.11n

This PC will be in my living room connected to a plasma tv and used primarily for gaming, internet and watching Blu Ray movies.

I don't intend to initially use two graphics cards in Crossfire mode, but would like to keep that option open. I intend to overclock modestly, as I want to keep the noise level down.

Looking for some feedback on whether Asus or Gigabyte has the easiest to use/best overclocking utilities and which specific board you would recommend based on the build I'm putting together. Based on Tom's articles, I was leaning towards this Gigabyte board:

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

however, the recent PC build article has me thinking about this Asus as well:

Asus P7P55D-E Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would certainly appreciate any insights on things I am not aware of or taking into consideration in selecting the right motherboard. Thanks!
a c 302 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 5, 2010 6:07:57 PM

Hi.

I would got with the ASUS, it's very friendly and OC very good.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 5, 2010 8:57:45 PM

+1 for the Asus board.. Both of them are excellent and support overclocking to similar ranges with a very friendly interface.. It comes down to aesthetics (Asus is more pleasing in that department) and layout..
m
l
Related resources
a c 156 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 6, 2010 4:05:46 PM

And the contrarian speaks:
I happen to think that the Gigabyte BIOS is more overclocking friendly, but that's one reason there's a demand for both brands.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 6, 2010 6:40:16 PM

Both boards feature similar specs and overclocking options which are friendly even for novice overclockers.. The recommendation for Asus comes because of a more cleaner layout and better looking (personal decision i know)..
m
l
July 8, 2010 6:12:57 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like lean towards the Asus but pretty much a coin flip. Since I currently have an Asus in the 4 + year old dinosaur I'm using now, and it's been pretty solid, I guess I might lean in that direction.

Appreciate the comments.
m
l
!