4670 - A good update ??

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I have a two fold question :
First, I'm planning to upgrade my Nvidia 7600 GT graphics card with the ATI Radeon 4670. So is this upgrade justified ? Also if there are any other options please mention them...

Second, I have an Intel D945GCL motherboard which i suppose has PCI Express 1.0. Since the upgrade I'm planning is 2.0 card will there be a huge performance difference ? Should I buy a new motherboard for the card ?

Please help me out with this...

Yes, the 4670 will give you about twice the performance of your current 7600GT.
It will defiantly be a good upgrade.

No, you do not need to upgrade your motherboard.
The PCIe standard is backwards and forwards compatible.
Any PCIe 16x card will work in any PCIe 16x slot.
A PCIe 1.0 16x slot has more than enough bandwidth for most any current GPU, you will not lose any performance.

They said it will enter at $100, but who REALLY knows. The vague performance comparison I've seen, which are very few, kinda shows a 25%+ increase in performance. But this wasn't in game so who really knows. The GT240 from nvidia is about $100 and outperforms the 4670, so I have a feeling the 5670 will go up against this card in comparisons.

I just say Jan 2010, no date.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
The 4670 is currently the best card at the $60-70 price point, and is a good option--especially for an older computer.

However, if you decided to push your budget you could get a slightly larger boost from a Nvidia 9600GT at $70-80, or a 9800GT at $80-90. I'm not certain its actually worth spending more--but if you find any sweet sales you might keep them in mind. (these two do require a 6-pin though)