Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia geforce 8800 GTX comp freeze

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
December 17, 2009 12:37:46 PM

Hi.

I have Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX graphics card. At some point my computer started freezing when I play heavy graphics games.

Sometimes it freezes completly, but sometimes the screen just go black and the game auto shut down. But I can still use skype in the background.

I've had the same hardware for a long time, but I recently changed the PCI-Express slot because of heat issues. Exept that I have changed nothing.

I have tried RivaTuner to clock down my card to less then 50%. I use CPU-Z to see the temp on my card at all times. It usually never peaks more then 70 degrees C. Still freezes.

I have changed out all internal fans to better ones and use a external fan for extra cooling.

I ran FurMark to check the highest temp, and it went to 98C.

So the questions are: 1. Is this the reason for my freezes? 2. If not, what else could it be?

-Alex
a b Î Nvidia
December 17, 2009 12:48:43 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Have you installed the latest VGA drivers installed ? also what are your other specs ?
a b Î Nvidia
December 17, 2009 12:49:24 PM

I have always thought that you need to populate the top most PCI-E slot for video before any others below it. Why would you have to move it? If you move it back, does the issue go away?
December 18, 2009 1:22:26 AM

Good question Jay.
I was thinking the same thing.
Not all PCI E slots run at the same speed.

I have a pci slot fan under mine to help control the temps.
It brought them down about 15c
!