Sign in with
Your question

GTX 285 vs 5850, are either even needed?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 17, 2009 2:21:14 PM

I've got a EVGA x58, 920, 1000 wt psu in a smallish Scout Case. I can take a 10.5 inch card. I can do a little mod to the drive cage and fit a 10.75 inch card like the 5850. All the GTX cards are 10.5 and fit perfectly in my current new case. The purpose if this thread is that I'm trying to look around the corner and see if I need to insulate myself with an upfront purchase of a better gpu.

I had a Diamond 5770 that I bought with all the parts. I returned it as I saw numerous low egghead scores about Diamond being total crap in customer service. I hear these higher end GPU Cards tend to need replacement quick till you get a good one as well as just the DOA part once in awhile. So I didn't feel I wanted to invest my $ in Diamond. I'm looking at sapphire, BFG, Evga or other makes that seem to have good CS. (I'm new at this and CS is important)

So I 'm looking around. The Microcenter guy I bought all the parts off of said he preferred nvidia. When I saw him upon returning the Diamond 5770 to microcenter he started steering me to GTX 260-295. He mentioned something about the 5000 series of ati cards (that I remembered reading at least 3-5 times) which was they were performing poorly. People were seeing artifacts or pauses....something. sorry I can't remember i should have probably stopped at "performing poorly". (thoughts on this reasoning for dumping ati 5K from my shopping cart?)

Here is my deal I want to render HD video thus the new i7 920. Over 10 years ago I loved being at lan parties gaming 8-12 hrs away on a saturday. I haven't gamed like that since and I want to get back. Games like Batman, and crysis seem to cover my initial desire to play. It's important to realize I haven't used a computer beyond a P4 with a GPU
card. So I'm going to assume that highest settings are not going to be my initial end all. (thinks so)

Problem: Because of buggy 5k ati cards I'm backing away from my $400-ish intention to buy the 5850. (thoughts on my reasoning?) I'm looking at the GTX mid to high GPU's trying to figure out how much money to throw into the rat hole. I'm thinking that today's $400 GPU will cost you $150-200 in a year? Seems like these cards lose money fast.

Question: Given what I want to play should I get a gtx 260/5770 at good spot for price/performance or is it really worth taking the $ beating on one gtx 285 or gtx 295 just to be able to buy a match in 12-18 months out when gaming requires me to crossfire/SLI a higher performing pair of cards VS gtx 260x2 or 5770x2. BTW - I have an average monitor which was bought 2 years ago without any graphical consideration. Its up for upgrade soon too.

More about : gtx 285 5850 needed

December 17, 2009 2:39:48 PM

waynegman said:

So I 'm looking around. The Microcenter guy I bought all the parts off of said he preferred nvidia. When I saw him upon returning the Diamond 5770 to microcenter he started steering me to GTX 260-295. He mentioned something about the 5000 series of ati cards (that I remembered reading at least 3-5 times) which was they were performing poorly. People were seeing artifacts or pauses....something. sorry I can't remember i should have probably stopped at "performing poorly". (thoughts on this reasoning for dumping ati 5K from my shopping cart?)

They did have some driver problems when they were initially launched however that was fixed quite awhile ago. It looks like that salesman is just a rampant fanboy. The 5800 series definitely outperforms Nvidia cards in the same price range.

The 5700 series does still have some driver issues since they are brand new, maybe he was only talking about them.

waynegman said:

Question: Given what I want to play should I get a gtx 260/5770 at good spot for price/performance or is it really worth taking the $ beating on one gtx 285 or gtx 295 just to be able to buy a match in 12-18 months out when gaming requires me to crossfire/SLI a higher performing pair of cards VS gtx 260x2 or 5770x2. BTW - I have an average monitor which was bought 2 years ago without any graphical consideration. Its up for upgrade soon too.

I'd go with your original plan of getting a HD5850. The 5700 series isn't all that great and the GTX2xx series isn't worth it with the 5800 series card on the market.
a c 140 U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 3:17:10 PM

I agree with the salesman comment. HE is either a fanboy or just dosen't know and heard a few comments. The 58xx cards had some issues with the drivers that came on the CD's, but the website drivers were fine. And the 57xx cards have issues with the drivers on the CD's as well and the latest drivers on the site did not include them yet. However, current date with the 9.11 driver everything is good to go with the 5xxx ATI cards. I bought an Asus 5870 about a month ago and have not had a SINGLE issue in any game whatsoever. I have been very impressed.

When you look at the 5770 and GTX260 video cards it becomes a little hard to compare. The 5770 is smaller, uses a bit less power, has DX11, but performs under the GTX 260. THe GTX 260 on the otherhand is only a DX10 card, but outperforms the GTX260 within certain margins. The 5770 was meant to replace the 4770 which is not in the same class as teh GTX260 (the 4770 and GTX260 are the same generation of cards, just in different ranges). The 4870 is the GTX260's direct competition.

When you compare the GTX285 to the 5850 it's a different story. The 5850 DOES outperform the GTS 285, and uses less power. The 5850 is DX11 where as the GTX285 is only DX10.

You have a moderatly highend machine and installing a 5770 or GTX260 for gaming is kinda of a shame in my mind unless you are only going to be a very casual gamer. They will be pretty decent right now, but give it 6-10 months and alot of the games coming out will need to run at lower settings on these cards and you may be less than impressed with you nice new machine. My honest opinion is to go for a higher end card NOW and enjoy it for the long run, or at least longer run. My thoughts on the GTX 285 and 5850 is this. The 5850 is the new generation and Nvidia has YET to deliver their new cards. DX11 games will start to come out and if you have a GTX285 you won't be able to play them in all their glory. And let me say DX11 looks good. Playing Dirt2 in DX11 is really sweet with all the eye candy. A 5850, in my mind, is the way to go if you have the money to spend on it. It will give you more enjoyment for a longer period of time without a need to upgrade so soon.

Also to note in regard to your card lengths. The GTX285 is 10.5", 5850 is 9.5", and 5870 is 11.1"
Related resources
December 17, 2009 5:43:51 PM

jay2tall said:
I agree with the salesman comment. HE is either a fanboy or just dosen't know and heard a few comments. The 58xx cards had some issues with the drivers that came on the CD's, but the website drivers were fine. And the 57xx cards have issues with the drivers on the CD's as well and the latest drivers on the site did not include them yet. However, current date with the 9.11 driver everything is good to go with the 5xxx ATI cards. I bought an Asus 5870 about a month ago and have not had a SINGLE issue in any game whatsoever. I have been very impressed.

When you look at the 5770 and GTX260 video cards it becomes a little hard to compare. The 5770 is smaller, uses a bit less power, has DX11, but performs under the GTX 260. THe GTX 260 on the otherhand is only a DX10 card, but outperforms the GTX260 within certain margins. The 5770 was meant to replace the 4770 which is not in the same class as teh GTX260 (the 4770 and GTX260 are the same generation of cards, just in different ranges). The 4870 is the GTX260's direct competition.

When you compare the GTX285 to the 5850 it's a different story. The 5850 DOES outperform the GTS 285, and uses less power. The 5850 is DX11 where as the GTX285 is only DX10.

You have a moderatly highend machine and installing a 5770 or GTX260 for gaming is kinda of a shame in my mind unless you are only going to be a very casual gamer. They will be pretty decent right now, but give it 6-10 months and alot of the games coming out will need to run at lower settings on these cards and you may be less than impressed with you nice new machine. My honest opinion is to go for a higher end card NOW and enjoy it for the long run, or at least longer run. My thoughts on the GTX 285 and 5850 is this. The 5850 is the new generation and Nvidia has YET to deliver their new cards. DX11 games will start to come out and if you have a GTX285 you won't be able to play them in all their glory. And let me say DX11 looks good. Playing Dirt2 in DX11 is really sweet with all the eye candy. A 5850, in my mind, is the way to go if you have the money to spend on it. It will give you more enjoyment for a longer period of time without a need to upgrade so soon.

Also to note in regard to your card lengths. The GTX285 is 10.5", 5850 is 9.5", and 5870 is 11.1"

That seems about right,
also, since you said,
"I have an average monitor which was bought 2 years ago without any graphical consideration. Its up for upgrade soon too. "
It would be smarter to get the 5850, because the 5770 won't be able to keep up with the resolution of your monitor, which will most likely be 22"- 3x30"
Like Jay2tall said, it will last you longer, without problems.
December 17, 2009 5:56:35 PM

I'm not following Ehsan. I would "assume" that an older GPU card would work better with my older monitor. I would assume the newer/better 5850 gpu would work but just not appreciated as much using an old monitor. Its a V7 700P 17" monitor and it's really nothing much.
December 17, 2009 6:30:12 PM

waynegman said:
I'm not following Ehsan. I would "assume" that an older GPU card would work better with my older monitor. I would assume the newer/better 5850 gpu would work but just not appreciated as much using an old monitor. Its a V7 700P 17" monitor and it's really nothing much.

The bigger your monitor, the higher the resolution.
So like you said, if your monitor is up for an upgrade soon, then getting a stronger gpu would be better, because it would need more power, since the resolution would be higher.
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 6:38:04 PM

The 9.12s are out, and have some fixes as well as perf increases
a c 140 U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 6:43:38 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
The 9.12s are out, and have some fixes as well as perf increases

Yummy! anything of real interest in this one?
a c 140 U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 6:47:28 PM

Nothing really crazy, performance increase in Vantage and one game: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. – Call of Pripyat
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 6:48:37 PM

Mostly CF increases, some single card, a few fixes, also DC 10.1 for the 4xxx series
December 18, 2009 9:32:43 AM

@jaydeejohn
where did you get the 9.12?, i checked the ati/catalyst website last night - it still says 9.11

@waynegman

since you have a core-i920 you probably get the 5850 with ddr5 memeory and dx11. the 5850 will give you good fps at highest setting for upto 1600*1024 resolutions - you mentioned that you have an average monitor. for greater that those resolutions you will require the 5870....

also i am not sure about the availability of 5850 - i hear they are out of stock in most places and therefore sellin above their intended prices.

personally i would have taken a icore 5- 750 and invested the money saved in the HD 5870 - which i have done. the icore5 750 overcloaks really well even on air and we all know how monster of a card the hd 5870 is.

the 57XX series is a absolute NO- it would be a shame to pair those cards with a i 920. if you can lay your hands on the 5850 it will be good.
!