kroobs

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Quick question, would an amd athlonII x4 635 bottleneck a hd6850 in terms of gaming?
Just wondering because I think others seem to be getting more out of the card than I do.
If not the cpu, what else can bottleneck the gpu?
I've also tried the automatic over clock option in bios, but it only seemed to cause stability issues.

I think I'll be able to upgrade something soon, and I was wondering what kind of hardware I should be looking at exactly.
I've also been looking into changing my psu because people said it was bad (A-Power AK 750W 20+4-pin ATX Power Supply)
However, I just want to make sure that there aren't other things I should be looking into.

Specs:

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

AMD Athlon II X4 635
Propus 45nm Technology

4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Biostar Group TA890GXB HD (CPU 1)

ASUS VH198 Monitor (1440x900@60Hz)

1024MB HD6850 (Powercolor)

Hard Drives
488GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 ATA Device (SATA)

Solution
Even a bad PSU can cause poor component performance. And it will definitely bring stability issues. Change the PSU to something like a Corsair TX 650 V2. It has more than enough to support your current rig and will keep you powered for more powerful upgrades you make in future.

Your CPU will not cause any significant bottlenecks. You can reduce the drag by upgrading to a bigger monitor wherein the higher resolution will cause lesser strain on the CPU and more on the video card.
Even a bad PSU can cause poor component performance. And it will definitely bring stability issues. Change the PSU to something like a Corsair TX 650 V2. It has more than enough to support your current rig and will keep you powered for more powerful upgrades you make in future.

Your CPU will not cause any significant bottlenecks. You can reduce the drag by upgrading to a bigger monitor wherein the higher resolution will cause lesser strain on the CPU and more on the video card.

Solution

kroobs

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I'm pretty content with my monitor, but perhaps in the future I can give that a try.
But thank you for the psu suggestion. I've been pointed towards that specific one and mentioning it only makes me feel better about purchasing it.

Thanks for the reply!