Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Buying a monitor: Resolutions: 1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 17, 2009 2:28:57 PM

Hello All,

Is there much of a difference in resolutions of 1920 x 1200 and 1920 x 1080?

I ask because I am buying 3 identical monitors to set up Eyefinity for my next gaming rig that I am building.

The 1200 resolution can be substantially higher; especially multiplied by 3 monitors. I don’t want to spend money unnecessarily, but I will if I see a considerable difference. I am prepared to pay about $200.00 to $230.00 per monitor; perhaps a little more if need be.

Also, I am learning about contrast ratio’s. I understand that this is the difference in light intensity between the brightest white and darkest black, but I am not clear of what numbers to look for. From what I have read, the higher the number, the better.

I am looking at screen sizes of 22 to 24 inches. Since I am building a gaming system, I think Response Time is important but I don’t see much about this subject.

A few of the monitor’s that I am considering are:

ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1), pixel pitch: 0.272, Res: 1920 x 1080
$200.00

ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1), pixel pitch: 0.27, Res: 1920 x 1080
$220.00

SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital, pixel pitch: 0.27, Res: 1920 x 1200
$250.00

Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice (this is a great forum).

Jim
December 17, 2009 2:59:46 PM

I have dual, ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24". They are great. No dead pixels on either monitor. Huge. Great quality.
m
0
l
December 17, 2009 3:17:58 PM

If you are buying new monitors you need to look for at least one to have a display port. This will save the hassle of trying to get an adapter to work.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2009 3:54:27 PM

I am in the same conundrum with the 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080. I am noticing the 1920x1200 displays are slowly disappearing and being replaced by 1920x1080. It has to be something with the 1080 "HD" resolution and maybe being cheaper to make or something. I want a 26" 1920x1200 at 2ms and am having a hard time finding one I like. Asus has one, buy buddy has it, but its sold out on Newegg.

AS noted above, for Eyefinitly to take 3 displays on one card, one of them MUST use display port. If it needs to be DVI, you have to get an active DP to DVI converter that usually costs about $100.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 4:05:32 PM

1920x1200...ftw!

By far one of the best monitors available for the price and performance...Hanns-G HG-281DPB. There is a reason why it is a six time customer choice award winner on Newegg...super big, bright, and friggin great for gaming and HD content.
m
0
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2009 4:21:51 PM

^
It's big, bright, and cheap for the size. I looked at it and thought I would pass. I hear the color isn't that great though. HP also had a REALLY nice one, but it's discontinued. I'm very upset.
m
0
l
December 17, 2009 4:42:53 PM

Chef: I have not found any monitors that have the Display Port connector.
Does one exist? I primarily see HDMI and DVI. I was planning on buying a converter, but I would prefer a monitor with Display Port. I know my Radeon 5970 card will have a display port (I was finally able to buy a 5970).

Chunkymonster: I checked the Hanns-G HG-281DPB. The contrast ratio is only 800:1; this seems rather low. Also, the pixel pitch is 0.309mm, I think 0.27mm is better for a quality picture and gaming experience.
m
0
l
December 17, 2009 4:44:58 PM

jay2tall said:
I am in the same conundrum with the 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080. I am noticing the 1920x1200 displays are slowly disappearing and being replaced by 1920x1080. It has to be something with the 1080 "HD" resolution and maybe being cheaper to make or something. I want a 26" 1920x1200 at 2ms and am having a hard time finding one I like. Asus has one, buy buddy has it, but its sold out on Newegg.

AS noted above, for Eyefinitly to take 3 displays on one card, one of them MUST use display port. If it needs to be DVI, you have to get an active DP to DVI converter that usually costs about $100.


Yeah, 1920 x 1080 is certainly more common and this is the same resolution as my 50 inch plasma TV.
m
0
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2009 4:46:59 PM

^ 800:1 is the actual contrast ration. the ones you see with 50000:1 are the dynamic ratio. They blow it up for marketing.

Also the pixel pitch is larger because the pixels are larger as it is a larger screen. It is explaining pixel size. If the pixel size was smaller the resolution would be higher as there are more of them.
m
0
l
December 17, 2009 5:00:40 PM

LCD or TFT,which is better ?
Thank you
m
0
l
December 17, 2009 5:17:57 PM

lcd, or even led if you could go farther :p 
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 17, 2009 9:17:08 PM

jay2tall said:
^
It's big, bright, and cheap for the size. I looked at it and thought I would pass. I hear the color isn't that great though. HP also had a REALLY nice one, but it's discontinued. I'm very upset.
Everyone's eyes are different, but the colors are accurate in games, HD movies, and photos that I've taken.

jimmy328 said:
Chunkymonster: I checked the Hanns-G HG-281DPB. The contrast ratio is only 800:1; this seems rather low. Also, the pixel pitch is 0.309mm, I think 0.27mm is better for a quality picture and gaming experience.
800:1 is the actual contrast ratio, not the dynamic (inflated) contrast ratio advertised by other LCD's; a side by side comparison would yield very little difference. Fact is, there is no industry standard to measure contrast ratio and LCD makers intentionally inflate the contrast numbers as a marketing ploy to sucker people to thinking that higher is better.

Unless you are literally sitting with your nose touching the screen and are looking through a magnifying glass, there is ultimately no difference in picture quality between a .309mm and .27mm pixel pitch. Fact is, the pixel pitch gets bigger with the panel size, i.e.; all 24" LCD's will have a pixel pitch around .27 whereas a 25" LCD will have a pixel pitch of .28 and a 28" LCD will have a pixel pitch around .30mm. I would not use pixel pitch as a measure of an LCD's picture quality.

If a good gaming experience is what you want, then a lower response time and higher refresh rate is preferred. Ideally, you want the biggest panel with a 2/3ms response and a 75Hz or higher on both the horizontal and vertical refresh.

Again, there is a reason why the Hanns-G 281DPB is a six time customer choice winner on Newegg.

Milos-stancene said:
LCD or TFT,which is better ?
Thank you
TFT is a type of LCD...

Share
December 17, 2009 11:04:34 PM

it's hard to find at 1920x1200 for 220-ish

most in that range at x1080 because it saves the manufacturer money...

at dell they sell a 24 inch 1920x1080 for only $190

probably you best bet.... though personally i like one large monitor over 2-3 smaller ones as i used it for games and entertainment (multimoniter setups are more suitable for office work)
m
0
l
December 18, 2009 2:06:19 AM

avenger386 said:
it's hard to find at 1920x1200 for 220-ish

most in that range at x1080 because it saves the manufacturer money...

at dell they sell a 24 inch 1920x1080 for only $190

probably you best bet.... though personally i like one large monitor over 2-3 smaller ones as i used it for games and entertainment (multimoniter setups are more suitable for office work)


If you are buying a 24" dell you might as well spend a bit more and buy the DP version (or at least 1 of them) 2408wfp. Its not as cheap, but its a better panel. HP also has one - http://www.amazon.com/HP-Compaq-LA2405wg-widescreen-Dis... which is $350.

I already had 2 23" Samsungs so went with the NEC 23" DP instead.
m
0
l
December 18, 2009 9:26:29 AM

Chunkymonster:
Good info above; this is the knowledge that I need to know, thank you.

I was considering for my Eyefinity setup; a larger monitor for the middle (25” to 28”) and two smaller identical monitors on the right and left (21” to 24”). Would this set up be OK if the specifications of the middle monitor are slightly different than the lateral monitors?
m
0
l
December 18, 2009 10:23:25 PM

redwolfexr said:
If you are buying a 24" dell you might as well spend a bit more and buy the DP version (or at least 1 of them) 2408wfp. Its not as cheap, but its a better panel. HP also has one - http://www.amazon.com/HP-Compaq-LA2405wg-widescreen-Dis... which is $350.

I already had 2 23" Samsungs so went with the NEC 23" DP instead.


I'm actually running the 2408wfp right now... it is nice but it costs at least twice as much...

Plus they stopped making the 2408wfp with M-PVA panel. Now they have a U2410 with has an even better panel (IPS)... but still the cost is at least twice as much...
m
0
l
December 18, 2009 10:32:27 PM

I have a vk266h, the best asus monitor available. I bought it for 300 CAN and it has a webcame is 1920 x 1200 and is 25.5" great great monitor for games. Though its hard to find the right colour and obviously it's a TN monitor I love it!
m
0
l
December 18, 2009 10:36:05 PM

Also one thing that i do not like about 21.5" monitors is their size. since they are 16:9 they are pretty short, though they are longer you dont notice that in game to be honest. I think that if you do get a 1080p monitor get a 24" atleast! you'll regret not buying a bigger monitor as soon as you unbox it and see for yourself in a game.
m
0
l
December 18, 2009 10:48:22 PM

The Asus VK 266 H is one of the monitors I am considering for purchase for my Eyefinity set up. At $330.00 a piece x 3 monitors is a heavy hit. I thought about using this monitor for the front and two slightly smaller monitors on the right and left.
m
0
l
December 18, 2009 11:57:23 PM

if you plan to use eyefinity for gaming get 3 same monitors of the same size at least. You can get 1 Vk266h and then 2 vw266h (same thing but -$30 because no webcam) You dont need 3 webcams lol!
m
0
l
December 19, 2009 12:07:10 AM

impaledmango said:
if you plan to use eyefinity for gaming get 3 same monitors of the same size at least. You can get 1 Vk266h and then 2 vw266h (same thing but -$30 because no webcam) You dont need 3 webcams lol!


Yeah, I'll take your advise and go with 3 identical monitors. No web cam is needed, so the VW266H may be the way to go; although, Newegg is sold out.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 12:13:33 AM

Dell and Samsung sell the most popular DisplayPort monitors (as well as Apple's Cinema Display -- obviously out of the price range though) as far as I'm aware.
m
0
l
December 19, 2009 12:16:18 AM

lol do you have a graphic card to support those resolutions?
m
0
l
December 19, 2009 12:23:27 AM

I've ordered the ASUS EAH5970/G/2DIS/2GD5 Radeon HD 5970 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP
m
0
l
December 19, 2009 12:26:03 AM

Alright have fun with the monitors. I personally hate dual monitors, makes me sick (nauseous) and it annoys me when I'm on desktop/internet. I'd personally have one top quality 30" LED monitor.
m
0
l
December 19, 2009 2:17:47 AM

Ya the games look like they are in person! Crysis looks simply amazing on a 26"! I was gonna get that monitor Foolycooly, but I got a nice deal for the vk266h (same price as the 2433bw). One thing nice about the vw266h is that it has every single input AND 1:1 mapping is great if you want to use it as a screen for consoles or TV.
m
0
l
December 19, 2009 2:31:05 AM

impaledmango said:
Ya the games look like they are in person! Crysis looks simply amazing on a 26"! I was gonna get that monitor Foolycooly, but I got a nice deal for the vk266h (same price as the 2433bw). One thing nice about the vw266h is that it has every single input AND 1:1 mapping is great if you want to use it as a screen for consoles or TV.


Well, almost every input, I didn't see a DisplayPort on it.
m
0
l
December 19, 2009 5:50:23 PM

jimmy328 said:
I’ve been researching many monitors and this seems like a fantastic buy. Perhaps too good to be true.


If you're looking for a 1080p monitor then that is probably your best bet.
m
0
l
December 19, 2009 7:09:30 PM

brockh said:
Dell and Samsung sell the most popular DisplayPort monitors (as well as Apple's Cinema Display -- obviously out of the price range though) as far as I'm aware.


Pardon my ignorance, I have been out of the game for a while, so to speak: what is "DisplayPort"?
m
0
l
December 19, 2009 7:25:25 PM

Morituri said:
Pardon my ignorance, I have been out of the game for a while, so to speak: what is "DisplayPort"?


It is almost the same as hdmi except it is slimmer and royalty (meaning manufacturers dont have to spend 4 cents a product for hdmi), id rather have hdmi in my opinion.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 8:07:36 PM

impaledmango said:
It is almost the same as hdmi except it is slimmer and royalty (meaning manufacturers dont have to spend 4 cents a product for hdmi), id rather have hdmi in my opinion.


He needs at least one displayport monitor for Eyefinity to work, which is what I'm referring to.
m
0
l
December 19, 2009 8:49:36 PM

brockh said:
He needs at least one displayport monitor for Eyefinity to work, which is what I'm referring to.

Actually the 5970 comes with a display mini to hdmi. And anyways if he buys that monitor he'll need to get a mini display to display port thing. Thats what i dont like about display port, so many peripherals are needed just to get it to work.
m
0
l
December 20, 2009 3:13:54 PM

I have almost decided to buy Dell Professional P2310H 23” Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor; $209.00. It is available through a Dell web site:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?s...

I had difficultly figuring out how to buy 3 of these online, so I called the number at the top of the page, 1-877-220-3355, went through 2 minutes of prompts and finally got a human being with a heavy Indian (India) accent; so communication was difficult. I just wanted to know how to buy 3 of these monitors online. He wanted, and he got, much of my personal information such as full name, home address, and phone number. After 18 minutes on the phone, I come to the realization that he wants to make this sale over the phone and he will omit the shipping charges. I am more comfortable doing things online because it is documented.

This could be a really good deal, but it just seems too good. This monitor could sell for $300. Why is it so difficult to purchase online? Why is this Dell person so focused on selling me this product over the phone?

I told him that I have to pick up my little girl and politely said “Good Bye”; although, he wants to call back and I said this is OK.

I am not sure where to go at this point.
m
0
l
December 20, 2009 5:53:55 PM

jimmy328 said:
I have almost decided to buy Dell Professional P2310H 23” Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor; $209.00. It is available through a Dell web site:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?s...

I had difficultly figuring out how to buy 3 of these online, so I called the number at the top of the page, 1-877-220-3355, went through 2 minutes of prompts and finally got a human being with a heavy Indian (India) accent; so communication was difficult. I just wanted to know how to buy 3 of these monitors online. He wanted, and he got, much of my personal information such as full name, home address, and phone number. After 18 minutes on the phone, I come to the realization that he wants to make this sale over the phone and he will omit the shipping charges. I am more comfortable doing things online because it is documented.

This could be a really good deal, but it just seems too good. This monitor could sell for $300. Why is it so difficult to purchase online? Why is this Dell person so focused on selling me this product over the phone?

I told him that I have to pick up my little girl and politely said “Good Bye”; although, he wants to call back and I said this is OK.

I am not sure where to go at this point.


Is it an LED monitor
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2009 9:52:32 PM

jimmy328 said:
I have almost decided to buy Dell Professional P2310H 23” Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor; $209.00. It is available through a Dell web site:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?s...

I had difficultly figuring out how to buy 3 of these online, so I called the number at the top of the page, 1-877-220-3355, went through 2 minutes of prompts and finally got a human being with a heavy Indian (India) accent; so communication was difficult. I just wanted to know how to buy 3 of these monitors online. He wanted, and he got, much of my personal information such as full name, home address, and phone number. After 18 minutes on the phone, I come to the realization that he wants to make this sale over the phone and he will omit the shipping charges. I am more comfortable doing things online because it is documented.

This could be a really good deal, but it just seems too good. This monitor could sell for $300. Why is it so difficult to purchase online? Why is this Dell person so focused on selling me this product over the phone?

I told him that I have to pick up my little girl and politely said “Good Bye”; although, he wants to call back and I said this is OK.

I am not sure where to go at this point.


He probably gets comission which gives him a fairly large incentive to sell you over the phone as it's a percentage of each sale and you're buying three. As far as the monitor, it's really nothing out of the ordinary except it has display port functionality (1920x1080 21.5" run around $160 with 5ms). As far as purchasing online being difficult I am not sure, I haven't bought anything from Dell for a long time, but I don't remember it being too bad.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 20, 2009 10:44:57 PM

I would get 16:10 (1920 x 1200), though most games support a lot of resolutions America's Army 3 only supports 16:10 res's. If you used 16:9 or 4:3 it would use black stripes to cover the area.

Also 16:9 is VERY wide, it's not good for anything other than movie watching.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2009 11:45:29 PM

sabot00 said:
I would get 16:10 (1920 x 1200), though most games support a lot of resolutions America's Army 3 only supports 16:10 res's. If you used 16:9 or 4:3 it would use black stripes to cover the area.

Also 16:9 is VERY wide, it's not good for anything other than movie watching.


I can't say that's true. 1920x1080 16:9 is well supported and will not cause problems with games. I can name a bunch of games that support it perfectly that I own personally:

Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Far Cry 2
Team Fortress 2
Torchlight
Risen
Need for Speed SHIFT
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Fallout 3
Borderlands
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
BattleForge


And of course many more...
m
0
l
December 21, 2009 2:22:11 PM

I have read reviews regarding the use of a DisplayPort to DVI adapter or DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. The complaint that many people have is that this adapter does not do analog conversion. I am not sure of what this means or if it would affect me. I enjoy playing MS Flight Simulator, shooting games, and racing games. Will I have a problem with no analog conversion?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 21, 2009 9:20:16 PM

Many of you seem to complain that DisplayPort needs a lot of adapters to work, and HDMI is better.

That's so not even close to true. You are saying that DVI needs many adapters when it just came out - when VGA reigned supreme. DisplayPort can handle more than HDMI.

HDMI is simply supported on more platforms due to the fact that it's slim & can transmit audio.



16:10 will give you more screen area than 16:9 will with the same diagonal size. Because of that, I believe a 16:10 monitor > 16:9 monitor at the same price & diagonal size.
m
0
l
December 21, 2009 9:49:08 PM

actually if you look up comparisons to hdmi, they seem to both have features the other one does not have. Display port is really just a royalty free option. And from my understanding display port isnt really that new and has been on apple products for awhile.
m
0
l
December 24, 2009 2:14:23 AM

impaledmango said:
Actually the 5970 comes with a display mini to hdmi. And anyways if he buys that monitor he'll need to get a mini display to display port thing. Thats what i dont like about display port, so many peripherals are needed just to get it to work.


My 5870 has a full size Displayport connector.

I would have bought the 23 dell if it had been available a few months ago... not that I mind the higher grade display I bought instead.

Last, there is more to the DP selection than royalties. The main thing is that the standard is fixed timing and it already existed. The way EF drives 6 monitors is that they all have a common timing source.
m
0
l
!