Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with setting up laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 9, 2004 1:07:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

My Hypersonic CX-5 came today. First of all, this thing is sweet. The
keyboard is well designed, not just in key size/layout, but it's also sturdy
as all get out (WAY stiffer than a flimsy dell keyboard and much flimsier
than my HP too). The laptop goes like stink too. Why shouldn't it with a
1.7ghz Dothan Pentium M and 7200rpm hard drive. It also doesn't weigh much
for the size (even though it's only 1lb lighter than my Hp by the specs, it
feels a lot lighter - I have a feeling HP didn't include the battery pack in
teh weight), and even the power brick is fairly light. Needless to say, so
far I love it.
Now for my questions
1 - How do I disable the touchpad clicking (you know, the "feature" that
lets you press the touchpad to click the mouse)? I can't find the synaptics
drivers anywhere
2 - Why doesn't this like communicating with my other laptop? It transfers
files with my desktop fine, and it will do it with my laptop, but just very
slowly (the laptops are connected to my network wirelessly).
3 - How can I check that it really is a Dothan and not a Banias?
Since I praised it, I suppose I should mention the low points too. There are
only two to speak of, and they are minor
1 - The CD based owners manual is for an old version of the computer, and
highly inaccurate. Hypersonic tech support said they'll be shipping the new
ones to the people with these laptops once they get it all set up
2 - The fact that other than benchmarks and some faq, there is no real paper
based info kinda stinks too, but it seems that's where everyone's going.
Richard

More about : setting laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 9, 2004 4:22:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

The touchpad feature that lets you tap the pad to click, double-click
and drag is a wonderful feature. Don't disable it, learn how to use it.
However, there should be a utility for it, or, if not, try Control
Panel / Mouse (or "Pointing device"). I've never seen a machine on
which it could not be turned off, but really, it's a wonderful feature
once you learn to use it.

Wireless connection will be a lot slower than wired -- in theory they
could be more than 90% slower, in terms of local file transfers, it can
be a big deal, although since it's still faster than either Cable or DSL
connections, it's not such a big deal on the 'net.

Run one of the CPU ID programs to verify the CPU type. Intel even has
their own now -- in fact, they have one for the chipsets as well as the CPU.



marlin wrote:
> My Hypersonic CX-5 came today. First of all, this thing is sweet. The
> keyboard is well designed, not just in key size/layout, but it's also sturdy
> as all get out (WAY stiffer than a flimsy dell keyboard and much flimsier
> than my HP too). The laptop goes like stink too. Why shouldn't it with a
> 1.7ghz Dothan Pentium M and 7200rpm hard drive. It also doesn't weigh much
> for the size (even though it's only 1lb lighter than my Hp by the specs, it
> feels a lot lighter - I have a feeling HP didn't include the battery pack in
> teh weight), and even the power brick is fairly light. Needless to say, so
> far I love it.
> Now for my questions
> 1 - How do I disable the touchpad clicking (you know, the "feature" that
> lets you press the touchpad to click the mouse)? I can't find the synaptics
> drivers anywhere
> 2 - Why doesn't this like communicating with my other laptop? It transfers
> files with my desktop fine, and it will do it with my laptop, but just very
> slowly (the laptops are connected to my network wirelessly).
> 3 - How can I check that it really is a Dothan and not a Banias?
> Since I praised it, I suppose I should mention the low points too. There are
> only two to speak of, and they are minor
> 1 - The CD based owners manual is for an old version of the computer, and
> highly inaccurate. Hypersonic tech support said they'll be shipping the new
> ones to the people with these laptops once they get it all set up
> 2 - The fact that other than benchmarks and some faq, there is no real paper
> based info kinda stinks too, but it seems that's where everyone's going.
> Richard
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 9, 2004 6:23:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
news:40EDE753.4050509@neo.rr.com...
> The touchpad feature that lets you tap the pad to click, double-click
> and drag is a wonderful feature. Don't disable it, learn how to use it.

Well, it's wonderful unless it's set so soft that the slightest touch causes
it to click

> However, there should be a utility for it, or, if not, try Control
> Panel / Mouse (or "Pointing device").

Already tried it, without success.

> I've never seen a machine on
> which it could not be turned off

Neither had I, until now.

> Run one of the CPU ID programs to verify the CPU type. Intel even has
> their own now -- in fact, they have one for the chipsets as well as the
CPU.

I'll go look for it.
Richard
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 9, 2004 6:24:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Also, why does the battery meter just give me percent remaining, not time
remaining?
Thanks,
Richard
"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
news:mIiHc.40250$qw1.20308@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> My Hypersonic CX-5 came today. First of all, this thing is sweet. The
> keyboard is well designed, not just in key size/layout, but it's also
sturdy
> as all get out (WAY stiffer than a flimsy dell keyboard and much flimsier
> than my HP too). The laptop goes like stink too. Why shouldn't it with a
> 1.7ghz Dothan Pentium M and 7200rpm hard drive. It also doesn't weigh much
> for the size (even though it's only 1lb lighter than my Hp by the specs,
it
> feels a lot lighter - I have a feeling HP didn't include the battery pack
in
> teh weight), and even the power brick is fairly light. Needless to say, so
> far I love it.
> Now for my questions
> 1 - How do I disable the touchpad clicking (you know, the "feature" that
> lets you press the touchpad to click the mouse)? I can't find the
synaptics
> drivers anywhere
> 2 - Why doesn't this like communicating with my other laptop? It transfers
> files with my desktop fine, and it will do it with my laptop, but just
very
> slowly (the laptops are connected to my network wirelessly).
> 3 - How can I check that it really is a Dothan and not a Banias?
> Since I praised it, I suppose I should mention the low points too. There
are
> only two to speak of, and they are minor
> 1 - The CD based owners manual is for an old version of the computer, and
> highly inaccurate. Hypersonic tech support said they'll be shipping the
new
> ones to the people with these laptops once they get it all set up
> 2 - The fact that other than benchmarks and some faq, there is no real
paper
> based info kinda stinks too, but it seems that's where everyone's going.
> Richard
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 9, 2004 8:23:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hmm, well don't I feel stupid. Installing the drivers CD that came with the
computer has cleared up everything, and added some feature that I didn't
know to miss too! The only thing left is the battery gauge only shows
percent, not minutes.
Richard
"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
news:%knHc.1058$ju1.778@nwrddc04.gnilink.net...
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:40EDE753.4050509@neo.rr.com...
> > The touchpad feature that lets you tap the pad to click, double-click
> > and drag is a wonderful feature. Don't disable it, learn how to use it.
>
> Well, it's wonderful unless it's set so soft that the slightest touch
causes
> it to click
>
> > However, there should be a utility for it, or, if not, try Control
> > Panel / Mouse (or "Pointing device").
>
> Already tried it, without success.
>
> > I've never seen a machine on
> > which it could not be turned off
>
> Neither had I, until now.
>
> > Run one of the CPU ID programs to verify the CPU type. Intel even has
> > their own now -- in fact, they have one for the chipsets as well as the
> CPU.
>
> I'll go look for it.
> Richard
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 9, 2004 3:15:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

marlin wrote:

> Hmm, well don't I feel stupid. Installing the drivers CD that came with the
> computer has cleared up everything, and added some feature that I didn't
> know to miss too! The only thing left is the battery gauge only shows
> percent, not minutes.
> Richard
> "marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
> news:%knHc.1058$ju1.778@nwrddc04.gnilink.net...
>
>>"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>>news:40EDE753.4050509@neo.rr.com...
>>
>>>The touchpad feature that lets you tap the pad to click, double-click
>>>and drag is a wonderful feature. Don't disable it, learn how to use it.
>>
>>Well, it's wonderful unless it's set so soft that the slightest touch
>
> causes
>
>>it to click
>>
>>
>>> However, there should be a utility for it, or, if not, try Control
>>>Panel / Mouse (or "Pointing device").
>>
>>Already tried it, without success.
>>
>> > I've never seen a machine on
>>
>>>which it could not be turned off
>>
>>Neither had I, until now.
>>
>>
>>>Run one of the CPU ID programs to verify the CPU type. Intel even has
>>>their own now -- in fact, they have one for the chipsets as well as the
>>
>>CPU.
>>
>>I'll go look for it.
>>Richard
>>
>>
>
>
>
Did you buy the machine without OS ? If this was the case, of course,
you needed to install the drivers. But if you bought it with OS
installed, the drivers should have been installed. Still, this looks
like an interesting machine and I would like to know how you came across
a brand-name I was not even aware of and if their support will be adequate.

Regards

Now that you got it right, I would love to know if your favorable
opinion on this in a few days if

--
John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 9, 2004 6:10:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p 7vHc.98$QY2.5@read3.inet.fi...
> Did you buy the machine without OS ? If this was the case, of course,
> you needed to install the drivers. But if you bought it with OS
> installed, the drivers should have been installed.

I bought it with the OS, and the website says "configured and tested with
the latest qualified drivers and operating system updates," so I figured
that the driver's cd was just a backup or something. Now I see what the
meant. What they meant is all the driver's than windows automatically
installs when it senses the hardware is installed, and then they went to the
windows update website and updated them.

>Still, this looks
> like an interesting machine and I would like to know how you came across
> a brand-name I was not even aware of and if their support will be
adequate.

Check out their website at www.hypersonic-pc.com. I'm not really sure how,
but somehow I foudn out about their debut back in 1996, and I've been
keeping track of them ever since. They were always too expensive for me
until they expanded their line of laptops. As soon as I saw they made a
computer I could afford (and that I needed a new computer), I bought it.
IMHO, they are much better than alienware, and I know they used to be better
than FalconNW used to be (I stopped keeping up with FalconNW a few years
ago). At the same time, they come at a better price. I got my laptop for
$1899, and I looked everywhere. There was only one place that could match
the price, www.powernotebooks.com (they were actually about $45 cheaper),
but they couldn't match the no dead-pixel gaurantee, and the fact that the
hypersonic people are the type who include benchmarks with every system (and
use artic silver 5), made me go with hypersonic.
As far is how their support will be, all I know is that when I initially
called to get more details, I pressed the wrong menu number, so I got tech
support instead of sales, and tech support picked up on the first ring.
Sorry about the grammar, I had a late night and just woke up,
Richard

> Regards
>
> Now that you got it right, I would love to know if your favorable
> opinion on this in a few days if
>
> --
> John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 11, 2004 7:14:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

marlin wrote:
> "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:p 7vHc.98$QY2.5@read3.inet.fi...
>
>>Did you buy the machine without OS ? If this was the case, of course,
>>you needed to install the drivers. But if you bought it with OS
>>installed, the drivers should have been installed.
>
>
> I bought it with the OS, and the website says "configured and tested with
> the latest qualified drivers and operating system updates," so I figured
> that the driver's cd was just a backup or something. Now I see what the
> meant. What they meant is all the driver's than windows automatically
> installs when it senses the hardware is installed, and then they went to the
> windows update website and updated them.
>
>
>>Still, this looks
>>like an interesting machine and I would like to know how you came across
>>a brand-name I was not even aware of and if their support will be
>
> adequate.
>
> Check out their website at www.hypersonic-pc.com. I'm not really sure how,
> but somehow I foudn out about their debut back in 1996, and I've been
> keeping track of them ever since. They were always too expensive for me
> until they expanded their line of laptops. As soon as I saw they made a
> computer I could afford (and that I needed a new computer), I bought it.
> IMHO, they are much better than alienware, and I know they used to be better
> than FalconNW used to be (I stopped keeping up with FalconNW a few years
> ago). At the same time, they come at a better price. I got my laptop for
> $1899, and I looked everywhere. There was only one place that could match
> the price, www.powernotebooks.com (they were actually about $45 cheaper),
> but they couldn't match the no dead-pixel gaurantee, and the fact that the
> hypersonic people are the type who include benchmarks with every system (and
> use artic silver 5), made me go with hypersonic.
> As far is how their support will be, all I know is that when I initially
> called to get more details, I pressed the wrong menu number, so I got tech
> support instead of sales, and tech support picked up on the first ring.
> Sorry about the grammar, I had a late night and just woke up,
> Richard
>
>
>>Regards
>>
>>Now that you got it right, I would love to know if your favorable
>>opinion on this in a few days if
>>
>>--
>>John Doue
>
>
>
Richard,

Thanks for this interesting info. Now, are you satisfied with the noise
of the fan ? Does it come on often ? What about heating, does your
laptop ever feel hot ?

Regards

--
John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 12, 2004 2:35:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:FPcIc.185$Fq5.135@read3.inet.fi...
> Richard,
> Thanks for this interesting info. Now, are you satisfied with the noise
> of the fan ?

Yeah, it's not too bad. It's not totally silent, but the loudest it gets is
the quitest my HP laptop with a pentium 4 is. Except for the dvd drive -
that isn't silent by any means, it's as loud as the one in my HP laptop

> Does it come on often ?

The fans lowest speed comes on often, but you can barely hear that. The
higher speed comes on periodically while playing games like halo and farcry.

> What about heating, does your
> laptop ever feel hot ?

Yes, the back of base of the laptop (the part of the base near where the lcd
screen) does get hot, but the rest of the laptop does not. My take on the
hypersonic cx-5 is this - you get great performance at a good price for a
laptop that is somewhere in between the ultra quiet ultra cool ultra small
centrinos, and a desktop replacement (it does after all have a 15inch
screen).
Richard
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 12, 2004 7:47:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

marlin wrote:
> "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:FPcIc.185$Fq5.135@read3.inet.fi...
>
>>Richard,
>>Thanks for this interesting info. Now, are you satisfied with the noise
>>of the fan ?
>
>
> Yeah, it's not too bad. It's not totally silent, but the loudest it gets is
> the quitest my HP laptop with a pentium 4 is. Except for the dvd drive -
> that isn't silent by any means, it's as loud as the one in my HP laptop
>
>
>>Does it come on often ?
>
>
> The fans lowest speed comes on often, but you can barely hear that. The
> higher speed comes on periodically while playing games like halo and farcry.
>
>
>>What about heating, does your
>>laptop ever feel hot ?
>
>
> Yes, the back of base of the laptop (the part of the base near where the lcd
> screen) does get hot, but the rest of the laptop does not. My take on the
> hypersonic cx-5 is this - you get great performance at a good price for a
> laptop that is somewhere in between the ultra quiet ultra cool ultra small
> centrinos, and a desktop replacement (it does after all have a 15inch
> screen).
> Richard
>
>
Thanks a million Richard for this info, makes this laptop even more
interesting...will be hard to resist whenever I will need to replace my
faithful 3 years old Twinhead.

--
John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
July 13, 2004 1:18:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:foyIc.189$RE6.22@read3.inet.fi...
> Thanks a million Richard for this info, makes this laptop even more
> interesting...will be hard to resist whenever I will need to replace my
> faithful 3 years old Twinhead.
> John Doue

Just to let you know, the M 5:6 from www.powernotebooks.com is the same
chassis. The hypersonic has little niceities like artic silver 5 on the
cpu/heatsink, a personalized recovery dvd, and from a performance minded
company (don't get me wrong, powernotebooks is great, just not of the same
mindset). My only marks against are: 1 - it doesn't have that much of that
new computer smell, probably because they don't use traditional stryofoam
packing and because the laptops are burned-in by game playing for 72 hours
straight, and 2 - the owner's manual is not. They said the new ones will
ship to owners when they get them, but for now they don't have any. Other
than that it's great.
Richard
!