Sign in with
Your question

Cooler needed for 3750k!

Last response: in Overclocking
June 19, 2012 3:41:38 PM

Hey,

I need a cooler for the Core i5 3570K,1155 3.4ghz.
I'm running it in a Cosmos II.
I'm from the UK.

I really liked the H100, however there's so many issues online with the pump making odd noises etc etc. Some people have RMA'ed it 3 times. Hassle I don't want to deal with. (there is a diode hack out there but I'd rather just avoid it altogether)

Looking around at air cooling the best air coolers seem to be the SilverArrow and the Noctua NH-D14. Although good temps- they look ugly as sin. Especially inside a black case with a black and gold motherboard. (I know looks shouldn't matter, it's a closed case but it does bother me!)

I'm now a bit lost on what cooler to get. It has to look fairly sleek and give decent temps. I want to be able to overclock to 4.3ghz.

The EVGA SuperClock CPU cooler looks the part however I'm skeptical about it's actual cooling performance- also anyone know how loud it is?

Ideas and suggestions please??
Thank you,

AndroidMan

More about : cooler needed 3750k

a b K Overclocking
June 20, 2012 4:38:00 AM

my CM hyper 212 evo keeps my phenom II around 50C @4ghz, dunno if it will hold for ivy bridge though

you could buy the NH-D14 and buy new fans for it
a b K Overclocking
June 20, 2012 5:02:27 AM

androidman said:
Hey,

I need a cooler for the Core i5 3570K,1155 3.4ghz.
I'm running it in a Cosmos II.
I'm from the UK.

I really liked the H100, however there's so many issues online with the pump making odd noises etc etc. Some people have RMA'ed it 3 times. Hassle I don't want to deal with. (there is a diode hack out there but I'd rather just avoid it altogether)

Looking around at air cooling the best air coolers seem to be the SilverArrow and the Noctua NH-D14. Although good temps- they look ugly as sin. Especially inside a black case with a black and gold motherboard. (I know looks shouldn't matter, it's a closed case but it does bother me!)

I'm now a bit lost on what cooler to get. It has to look fairly sleek and give decent temps. I want to be able to overclock to 4.3ghz.

The EVGA SuperClock CPU cooler looks the part however I'm skeptical about it's actual cooling performance- also anyone know how loud it is?

Ideas and suggestions please??
Thank you,

AndroidMan

Rule #1,don't start multiple threads asking the same question.this is most likely my last answer to you.
as you know h100 is not much of a good performer and you find silver arrow ugly.so now let's talk about EVGA super cooler,it's one of th best single tower heatsink out there.i posted you a link but i am sure you didn't looked at it.once again-
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/EVGA-Superclock-...
conclusion-
Quote:

The EVGA Superclock is the best air cooler we tested so far,so it receives the Hardware Secrets Golden Award.And we have to rethink our standards.

rest is on you.if you are willing to spend $115 on h100 and extra $30 on a couple of good fans,then i would suggest going with swifttech watercooling kit-
http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-H20-X20-H20-220-Edge/dp/...
it's more expensive but way better than h100.
Related resources
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 20, 2012 6:02:47 AM

XSPC Rasa 750 RS240.
June 20, 2012 11:07:04 AM

hellfire24 said:
Rule #1,don't start multiple threads asking the same question.this is most likely my last answer to you.
as you know h100 is not much of a good performer and you find silver arrow ugly.so now let's talk about EVGA super cooler,it's one of th best single tower heatsink out there.i posted you a link but i am sure you didn't looked at it.once again-
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/EVGA-Superclock-...
conclusion-
Quote:

The EVGA Superclock is the best air cooler we tested so far,so it receives the Hardware Secrets Golden Award.And we have to rethink our standards.

rest is on you.if you are willing to spend $115 on h100 and extra $30 on a couple of good fans,then i would suggest going with swifttech watercooling kit-
http://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-H20-X20-H20-220-Edge/dp/...
it's more expensive but way better than h100.

I actually did look at that link however I thought I'd start a new thread that was more focused on my question at hand rather than a generic 'new build' thread.
I'm quite liking the swifttech watercooling kit now actually.
I like the EVGA SuperClock a lot, I'm just yet to find any really good benchmarks of it from a website I know and trust.
a b K Overclocking
June 20, 2012 11:37:17 AM

amuffin said:
XSPC Rasa 750 RS240.
+1 this ;) 
June 20, 2012 11:44:58 AM

bigcyco1 said:
+1 this ;) 

I'd love to go full liquid but I have no idea what I'm doing really! not to mention the price is that bit higher.
Tempted to just go for the EVGA SuperClock now- mainly because it's cheap, looks good, I know how to install it, and it'll let me OC to 4.2 I'm hoping?
a b K Overclocking
June 20, 2012 11:54:56 AM

Oh yeah EVGA SuperClock it will handle mild oc such as that no problem!It's when your wanting to hit past 4.5GHZ that it will struggle to preform well.
June 21, 2012 2:12:50 PM

thanks guys, i chose the 'nzxt havik' in the end!
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2012 5:44:06 PM

^wow,it looks horrible!
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2012 6:46:29 PM

lol no problem your welcome! I use the NH-D14 on my secondary rig it's ugly as hell but keeps my temps decent on a 4.7GHZ OC
July 8, 2012 2:18:20 AM

The h100 truly isn't that bad of a cooler. It works just fine as long as you know what you're doing. If you don't know what you're doing I'd recommend going the closed loop cooler route, however, if you're willing to learn and spend the extra cash, go for the custom loop.

Although....that swiftech is rather smexy =D
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 2:22:08 AM

I disagree the H-100 is a disgrace to watercooling
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 3:12:55 AM

^^ that it is, but it's easy, and alot of people think it's superior (for whatever reason?)
July 9, 2012 1:16:23 AM

It's not that bad. Even in comparison to the swiftech. It's simple, easy, requires little maintenance, and all for around $100.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1849/7/

I don't believe it's superior. But the guy who posted the thread is seeking a simple and adequate cooler for his 3570k. The H100 does a decent job for a fraction of the price. I also find it aesthetically pleasing compared to an air cooler's bulky heatsink. You also have the option of putting it in a push/pull configuration. Fairly cheap, gets the job done, simple installation, maintains itself....what more could you ask for?

Also, the noctua nhd14 would be an amazing choice as well. The only reason why I don't like it is because it's bulky, and I dislike the colors. However, it too will keep your CPU fairly cool.
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2012 2:03:39 AM

DeusAres said:
It's not that bad. Even in comparison to the swiftech. It's simple, easy, requires little maintenance, and all for around $100.

I don't believe it's superior. But the guy who posted the thread is seeking a simple and adequate cooler for his 3570k. The H100 does a decent job for a fraction of the price. I also find it aesthetically pleasing compared to an air cooler's bulky heatsink. You also have the option of putting it in a push/pull configuration. Fairly cheap, gets the job done, simple installation, maintains itself....what more could you ask for?

Also, the noctua nhd14 would be an amazing choice as well. The only reason why I don't like it is because it's bulky, and I dislike the colors. However, it too will keep your CPU fairly cool.

colours? it's silver... fans can be swapped out easy enough

and the H100 has tons of issues, from whining like crazy, to clicking pumps and fans, i know you can RMA it, but why would you want to go through the hassle?
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2012 2:05:42 AM

^ LOL!So true
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 9, 2012 2:10:45 AM

DeusAres said:

Corsair H100 $115
XSPC rasa 750 RS240 $130

FUX LOGIC!
July 9, 2012 2:27:02 AM

amuffin said:
Corsair H100 $115
XSPC rasa 750 RS240 $130

FUX LOGIC!

H100=> no maintenance required

Rasa=> gotta remove everything and thoroughly clean it

For someone who has never dealt with water cooling nor built a computer before, would jumping straight into custom WC be a good idea? I'm having difficulty deciding myself. I like the idea of a custom loop compared to the H100; the only thing that steers me away is annual maintenance. Is it that difficult to upkeep? If I did go the custom WC route, I would only be cooling the CPU to begin with....possibly WC the GPU later. Speaking of which, would the Gigabyte gtx 670 windforce even allow custom WC?
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2012 2:34:45 AM

^
Quote:
God invented google so people stop asking stupid questions

Why-ME

!