Sign in with
Your question

MSI P55-GD80 acting strangely... halfway POST?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 6, 2010 2:47:24 AM

So I built my previous custom rig about 7 months ago and have had no problems up until about 2 weeks ago. My computer began to restart itself and hardlock with no warning. The only indication of what was happening was an IDE Controller error (most likely HD Cables or Motherboard), so I went out and got a new MSi P55-GD80 mobo today and put it in my computer with a new 850w antec psu. When I boot the computer, it hangs at a black screen for a long period of time (3-8m) and eventually it manages to POST. It doesn't allow me to enter the BIOS setup menu because the motherboard never initializes the setup of USB and other devices (debug code 38). By the time the computer boots to Windows (if at all), the debug code reads 33 and will slowly revert back to debug code 30 over time. I am not able to do anything while in windows due to a lack of mouse and keyboard. Do I need to RMA this motherboard?

P.S: Yes, I am booting with one stick of ram in the first black slot closest to the CPU (second slot).
a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2010 3:26:53 AM

Did you format your hard drive, or at least re-install Windows? You need to do that when you change to a new motherboard, otherwise there will be so many driver conflicts and other issues from the old remnants that you're lucky if the system boots normally at all.

If you've done that already, I apologize, but from your message it didn't sound like you had.
July 6, 2010 3:30:52 AM

Yes I have, but I'm performing these tests on a brand new SSD anyways. Sorry for not clarifying.
Related resources
July 6, 2010 4:33:17 AM

My computer was previously using the ASUS P7P55D EVO motherboard. I had no issues until I started receiving the IDE controller errors that would freeze up my computer endlessly.

So basically I swapped to the new MSI P55-GD80 motherboard on a freshly formatted SSD and am now encountering these strange POST issues.

Here's a walkthrough of what is currently happening to the machine when powered on with 1 stick of RAM in DIMM slot #1, no drives connected, video card/cpu only:

1. Power button pushed.
• Computer powers on.
• Debug LED reads FF for 1 second
• Debug LED reads d4 for 1/2 second
• Debug LED reads d5 for 1/2 second
• Debug LED reads 04 for 1/8 second
• Debug LED reads 05 for 1/8 second
• Debug LED reads 06 for ~45 seconds
• Debug LED reads 0c for 3-5 minutes
2. The computer sometimes POSTs at this point, with the Debug LED reading anywhere from 30-38 (it changes randomly, sometimes backwards after a period of time), or continues to sit at a black screen until restart.
• It is still not possible to use any USB or PS2 devices at this point, so loading into the BIOS setup is not an option
September 12, 2012 1:17:48 PM

Hey Trey2s, what you are describing is exactly what has just started happening to my system!
Just an hour ago my system shut down all of a sudden; the screen went black, then a 'busy' mouse pointer (arrow + blue circle) was visible for about one second, and the system turned off.
I also smelled a faint "burnt electronics" scent, which dissipated very quickly, so I was not able to locate its source :( 

I tried to restart the system, but nothing seemed to happen. The debug LEDs behave exactly as described in your post. I was very busy scratching my head about what to do, when it suddenly started to continue booting.

At first, I thought it might have had something to do with my reasonably new Asus HD7950 video card, which I installed about a week ago, so I replaced that, but no change. I also replaced the PSU, but the behaviour stayed the same.

Were you able to finally resolve this issue? What did you have to do to resolve it?

Cheers,
diggie
September 13, 2012 1:06:32 AM

diggie said:
Hey Trey2s, what you are describing is exactly what has just started happening to my system!
Just an hour ago my system shut down all of a sudden; the screen went black, then a 'busy' mouse pointer (arrow + blue circle) was visible for about one second, and the system turned off.
I also smelled a faint "burnt electronics" scent, which dissipated very quickly, so I was not able to locate its source :( 

I tried to restart the system, but nothing seemed to happen. The debug LEDs behave exactly as described in your post. I was very busy scratching my head about what to do, when it suddenly started to continue booting.

At first, I thought it might have had something to do with my reasonably new Asus HD7950 video card, which I installed about a week ago, so I replaced that, but no change. I also replaced the PSU, but the behaviour stayed the same.

Were you able to finally resolve this issue? What did you have to do to resolve it?

Cheers,
diggie

The motherboard was just DOA and needed to be replaced.
!