I just upgraded some parts including a new mobo and heatsink. Currently:

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 890GX ATX Motherboard
650 Corsair PSU
AMD Phenom X4 9950
Diamond ATI 5770
Hyper 212 Heatsink
4GB (2 x 2GB) Crucial Ram DDR3

Parts in bold are new.

I had an older mobo, that had the bare specs to do AM3 (quad). The board could only do 8GB at most of RAM, and had other annoyances. My 5770 just gave out so I thought I should get a new mobo.

The GPU wasn't dead...its just that the monitor stayed in Standby no matter what I did. I was just surfing...and it happened and not matter how much i rebooted it stayed black.

Now, with this new build, I put all the pieces in(...and by the way, it was my first time putting together an aftermarket heatsink...A LOT of work), i attached all the USB's, PWR prongs (PWR, RES, HDD Light,etc), the Satas (Sata 3 :D ), the 5770, the fans, etc. When i pressed the power button, everything turned on and all the lights worked except for one of the CPU fans (there are two, one for each side) that was plugged into the (CPU_FAN) spot. Also, the monitor stayed black. I put a different fan in the (CPU_FAN) prong and it was fine so I assumed the fan was bad...which it was. BUT I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the GPU, I believe I put it in the proper slot. I tried use the HDMI on my tv, but my TV didn't see the computer. So, I removed the 5770 and tried to use the onboard. Again the DVI monitor stayed black, and the HDMI didn't respond either. So, the onboard video isn't working too.

I read a thread about benchmarking and removed the mobo, and rested it on the box outside the case (non conductive), and I only attached one cpu fan, the PWR SWITCH prong, and the PSU, and I only used one stick of RAM. Still...No video.

I'm at wits end, I need help. Also, I tried plugging in my comp speakers to see if there was any beeping, but I heard none. I also tried to rset the CMOS (which was really confusing), I removed the PSU and took out the battery, and reseated it, which did nothing.

Any help? Just to shorten the post

1. Full Setup, no Video with 5770 on DVI or HDMI
2. Full Setup, no Video with onboard on DVI or HDMI
3. Bare Minimum, no video with onboard DVI or HDMI.

Thank You.

More about : build video

a c 156 V Motherboard
July 6, 2010 4:01:48 PM

The beeps come from an internal system speaker plugged directly into the motherboard. If you do not have one, you really need one - especially with a nonworking system.

iball8888 said:

I read a thread about benchmarking breadboarding :)  and removed the mobo, and rested it on the box outside the case (non conductive), and I only attached one cpu fan, the PWR SWITCH prong, and the PSU, and I only used one stick of RAM. Still...No video.

Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

Go back to the breadboard with only the CPU & HSF, motherboard, PSU, and a system speaker.

You should hear a continuous series of long beeps telling you that you don't have any memory installed.

Silence here indicates a problem with the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Because you have a good PSU and CPU, it shouldn't be too hard to figure where the problem is if all you do hear is silence.

Now, if this is the breadboarding thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...
that you saw, there's a paragraph in there about building and testing a PC in stages. That also should help.
m
l
July 7, 2010 4:12:07 PM

Hey ty for the post, I already defect swapped the old board before I read this post. I also got a system speaker as well.

I also noticed when I took the processor out of the old defective board that it had bent three of the prongs on my processor (:o ), i was so mad, I had that guy for like a year or two. So I had to get a lesser model, still quad..just not Phenom black edition.

This time, I "breadboarded" the setup, with the CPU, the stock fan it came with (didn't want to assemble the Hyper 212, not enough time), the PSU, and then system speaker, and I used the DVI onboard video. I turned it on, my monitor came on...YAY!!!

I have to go to work now, but when I come back, I am going to breadboard the hyper 212, and the 5770.
m
l
!