Bios is not detecting sata hard drive

alarge

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I bought a new mobo and installed my old ide dvd drive and my sata hard drive. when I go into standard setup of cmos it shows it only detects the dvd drive as master and nothing else as slave, etc. I then go to advanced setup and I have selected the boot devices correctly, dvd drive then hard drive. everything is set to check automatically. Still when I try to boot up its not picking up the hard drive and I cannot get into windows. I get the windows screen for a second then it kicks itself back into the startup and then back to bios. Any ideas?

alarge

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Na, it's not giving me a chance to. New build, just assembled. New board, processor, ram etc. Using my old hard drive but it is fine (checked it with another computer) Just trying to get past the set up screen (the one you get when you first put a system together) and get into windows. It loads the Windows screen with the progress bar for a second then I see the BSOD for a half a second. It just repeats this until I go into the bios and it still shows though everything is set up correctly it does not pick up the hard drive. The mobo was originally not picking up the SATA dvd drive which I know works. Once I put back in my old IDE dvd drive, it picks that up no problemo.

Ok I misunderstood-its a new build. So here are a couple suggestions.

Are you using ram that is recommended by your mobo manufacturer? Some boards are fussy about the ram you use.

You say the settings are all correct. Is your ram set at the recommended voltage in the BIOS? Some boards hang because they don't like the timings or the voltage. It may default to 1.8V, but your high performance ram prefers 2.1 Votls.

How about trying to boot with only one stick of ram?

The looping problem you're talking about can often be attributed to memory/hard drive issues. When getting the BSOD, do you have time to read the code, or is any code listed?

I would set the SATA HD as the 1st boot device in BIOS and use the boot menu (poss. f11) during post to point to the dvd drive with the install disc. the installation will reboot at some point and you don't want the BIOS to tell the pc to go back to the beginning of the install routine (DVD Drive).

Finally, it may be a good idea to format the SATA boot drive in another machine before installing windows on it. I was having a pb just the other day where the drive I was using for an install was from a laptop and for some reason ( I am assuming it had to do with the HP crud in the system hidden partitiion) it would not run the install routine.

I took the lappy drive out, put it in my machine, formatted in windows, and put it in the other pc and the win7 install went flawlessly at that point. It is possible that something on your hard drive is preventing the installation from completing, a format should eliminate that problem.

GL, let me know how it goes.
buzznut

4745454b

Titan
If you have a SATA drive, why are you worried about it not showing up as slave? Set the SATA ports to legacy/IDE mode if you want it to work. If not you'll have to supply the SATA drivers by pressing F6 when it asks for SCSI drivers. (is this still the case with Win7?)

No, with win7 installs there is no f6 option. Also you do not see the loading of the other drivers for installation, just a pretty blue windows screen that sits there for five minutes while everything is loaded. Disconcerting to be sure at first, most of the install processes are hidden from the user now.