Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard drive clicks

Last response: in Storage
November 26, 2011 1:34:01 AM

I have a WD 2500 caviar SE IDE drive used as a data drive only.

It clicks on startup 10 times and then the 11th is a different 'clunk' sort of click. After doing that 3 times it just sits there.

I bought a PCB with the same number as the old one but that did not fix it.

There was no apparent damage on the old PCB.

If I must use a data recovery company, can anyone recommend one in Orange County Ca or nearby?

Thanks
Lief

More about : hard drive clicks

November 26, 2011 1:45:08 AM

A clicking sounds from a HDD usually is a sign of the drive failing.

Unfortunately there is no real fix for this, it's a risk to having a mechanical HDD.

m
l
November 26, 2011 2:53:44 AM

Thanks for your opinion.

Do you have a recommendation for a data recovery company in Orange County California?
Hopefully one you have used or was used by someone you know.

BTW, I tried freezing it to no avail.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 26, 2011 3:09:11 AM

GOPBiker said:
Thanks for your opinion.

Do you have a recommendation for a data recovery company in Orange County California?
Hopefully one you have used or was used by someone you know.

BTW, I tried freezing it to no avail.

It's dead Jim.

It has mechanical failure internally, its not the electronics. If you are lucky the platters have not been ruined.

Just google search HDD data recovery in your area and you will find something. Just be warned it is VERY expensive and you will likely need to send it off somewhere non local. In many cases it can cost thousands of dollars for larger drives and full data recovery is not guaranteed. This service is very time consuming as well as needing to be done in a clean room with specialized equipment. Due to costs generally it is only used by corporations or government with valuable and or sensitive data that must not be lost.
December 3, 2011 1:33:15 AM

Best answer selected by GOPBiker.
m
l
!