Solved

Will the real Watercooling solution please stand up

Last response: in Overclocking
June 19, 2012 8:11:50 PM

Snazzy title eh, eh, eh!?
Quite proud of that, because my question is as follows:
"What is real watercooling?"

Let me expand.
Whenever I ask if I should buy a H100 or an air-cooler, someone always suggests that I should consider a "real watercooling" solution, stating that the H100 is not real.
Ofcourse they don't mean that literally, but I want to know what people mean when they talk about this "real" watercooling.

What types of watercooling are there?

Some people also tell me that a "real" watercooling system will cost me 300bucks, I wanna know what this "real" system consists of.

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 8:31:41 PM

'Real' watercooling is often defined as pump/blocks/reservoir/radiator, etc that are chosen for their performance qualities and usually come in separate 'boxes' when they arrive. Closed loop coolers like Corsair and Antec coolers do operate on the same basic fundamentals as watercooling but as warranted, are not user serviceable or expandable; actual watercooling loops are. The advantages of closed loop or LCS coolers are that they are 'closed' and do not require user maintenance while normal watercooling does and closed loop coolers are generally simpler to install and do not require any additional knowledge of liquid or watercooling.

Both utilize a pump, some kind of coolant or water, a block (CPU in commonalities) and a radiator to dissipate the heat absorbed by the block and moved into the coolant.

Most closed loop coolers perform relatively similar to good or high end air coolers and for the benefit of the discussion, air coolers, closed loop coolers or watercooling alone can reach temperatures below ambient room temperatures, even while idle.
June 19, 2012 8:37:52 PM

rubix_1011 said:
'Real' watercooling is often defined as pump/blocks/reservoir/radiator, etc that are chosen for their performance qualities and usually come in separate 'boxes' when they arrive. Closed loop coolers like Corsair and Antec coolers do operate on the same basic fundamentals as watercooling but as warranted, are not user serviceable or expandable; actual watercooling loops are. The advantages of closed loop or LCS coolers are that they are 'closed' and do not require user maintenance while normal watercooling does and closed loop coolers are generally simpler to install and do not require any additional knowledge of liquid or watercooling.

Both utilize a pump, some kind of coolant or water, a block (CPU in commonalities) and a radiator to dissipate the heat absorbed by the block and moved into the coolant.

Most closed loop coolers perform relatively similar to good or high end air coolers and for the benefit of the discussion, air coolers, closed loop coolers or watercooling alone can reach temperatures below ambient room temperatures, even while idle.

Alright you got me hooked, what are considered the best brands of open-watercooling systems (just so I can begin my search), and would they help me reach higher voltages safely?

For example:
H100 @ 1.4volts = 50c
(open WC) @ 1.5volts = 50c
Despite the fact that the open WC set up runs 0.1V higher, because it's on the same temp. range as the H100 would that make it equally as stable?
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 8:46:36 PM

Quote:
For example:
H100 @ 1.4volts = 50c
Despite the fact that the open WC set up runs 0.1V higher, because it's on the same temp. range as the H100 would that make it equally as stable?

Where did you get this example? I would assume that with the exact same hardware and just swapping the H100 for a CPU-only loop, you'd utilize the same voltages to reach the same clock speeds but your temps possibly would be lower. CPU's don't always see as large of temp improvement from good air, to closed loop to watercooling unless you are really pushing OC's pretty hard. GPUs will typically drop from 60-75C at load to around 45C at load with watercooling (mileage may vary a little).
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 8:58:17 PM

take a look at the water cooling gallery and the type of systems within and you will see a large diverse selection of water cooling solutions including the H100 series coolers

it is not open loop cooling, but custom loop cooling, you kind of build it yourself based on the components you have and want cooled. the amount of heat they create and the amount of radiators needed to cool the water back down.

I hope this helps if you have any other specific question that you would like answered please ask

you can also take a look at my build log if you like it is still in process

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274855-29-experimenta...
m
l
June 19, 2012 9:35:51 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
For example:
H100 @ 1.4volts = 50c

Where did you get this example? I would assume that with the exact same hardware and just swapping the H100 for a CPU-only loop, you'd utilize the same voltages to reach the same clock speeds but your temps possibly would be lower. CPU's don't always see as large of temp improvement from good air, to closed loop to watercooling unless you are really pushing OC's pretty hard. GPUs will typically drop from 60-75C at load to around 45C at load with watercooling (mileage may vary a little).

It was just an example I made up on the spot to try and explain myself better, but "you'd utilize the same voltages to reach the same clock speeds but your temps possibly would be lower." answered my question.

Honestly I'm not entirely sure if I'd want to seriously OC a i7-3930k (the CPU I want for my workstation, to develop games), as it has turbo boost.

But then again, as long as I can put the resv. + radiator outside/somewherelse in my case, I think I might invest for the fact that I wont have something massive and sharp sticking over my RAM + motherboard.

I'll also get multiple high performance GPU's so I can game on three screens with maximum detail and 3D vision, so maybe replacing the fans on the GPU's with plates to WC might keep my systems noise levels down?

(Btw around sept. I'll be getting £2000, and 3 months later another £2000, 4 months later another £2000), so spending some more money for convenience is not an issue for me.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 9:40:27 PM

Sounds like you might have a plan. I would agree that an i7 3930k doesn't really need to be overclocked to begin with, but it's possible to do so. I have an i7 2600 non-k and at 3.4 (3.6 turbo enabled) I haven't found anything that it won't chew up and spit out.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 9:46:03 PM

Rads and res outside the case?
I like this guy hehe
Moto
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 9:50:04 PM

He had me at 'i7 3930k' and 'multiple high performance GPUs' and 'watercooling' all within the same post.
m
l
June 19, 2012 10:08:54 PM

rubix_1011 said:
He had me at 'i7 3930k' and 'multiple high performance GPUs' and 'watercooling' all within the same post.

I hope ya'll ain't being sarcastic :S
I was considering a SR2/3 built (dual CPU socket beastly motherboard) but that only supports xeons :l

i7-3930k
Asus extreme IV motherboard
2/3 high performance GPU's, hopefully the HD8970/GTX 780's will come out around November, regardless I can hold out until Jan/feb.
Three BenQ XL2420T (24", 1080p, 3D, 120Mhz, 2ms lag) monitors.
HAF-X case.

I'll upgrade if anything better comes out when it comes to purchase and make a log here, so far only built one comp. (i7-2600k, GTX 560 TI).
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 10:15:59 PM

No, not sarcastic...you are going to fit right in. My post was absolutely genuine and it's always fun to see someone mention that 'budget isn't a concern' when it comes to watercooling. (We all have the dream of $1200 watercooling shopping carts, ready to checkout and ship :)  ) ...but very few of us have the ability to do that kind of damage in one, fell swoop.

Quote:
I was considering a SR2/3 built (dual CPU socket beastly motherboard) but that only supports xeons

Depends on what you are really looking for, dual Xeons would be beneficial if you were running some very intensive CPU/RAM applications; otherwise, I would steer you towards i7's, etc.

If gaming and general apps are your end-game, then i7 and GPU(s)-of-choice instead of Xeons and Fire/Quadro/Tesla (for workstation) would be what you'd look for.
m
l
June 19, 2012 10:22:10 PM

(This noob is trying to select rubix_1011's first post as best answer but can't figure out how).
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 10:24:05 PM

I think you have to change the first post to be a 'question with an answer' type of thread....let me see if I can do it...

Edit...there we go. You have to make the first post of the new thread a 'Question' vs. just a 'Discussion' or 'Poll'. Just select the best answer and you should be all set.
m
l
June 19, 2012 10:30:21 PM

Best answer selected by Radikulram.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 19, 2012 10:48:41 PM

+1 from me, no sarcasm man, I spend so much time trying to get folks to consider external setups and you straight out say you are up for it :-)
I'll see you around
Moto
m
l
!