8GB overkill for gaming/Blu-Ray

spartan92

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
Hey all, I'm putting together a brand new build and wanted to get some feedback on whether going all the way to 8gb is overkill using this setup:

Case: Antec P183
Processor: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield
Graphics: Radeon HD 5850
Power: Corsair 750 TX
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB
DVD/Blue Ray: Lite On
Wireless Card: Edimax 32 bit 802.11n
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D E-Pro

Primarily, this machine will be used for gaming, watching Blu-Ray movies and internet. Connecting to a 46 inch plasma TV in my living room.

Would going to 8 gb of memory be a waste?

If not, is it ok to just buy two sets of 4GB memory and fill all four slots in the motherboard? Significantly better to use two 4GB sticks? Motherboard supports dual channel and has four slots.

Thanks for any feedback!

Solution
Hello
Well for gaming/watching Bluray vids,4GB suffices.I would recommend 8GB only if you want to use lots of Image/Video rendering apps(and open many pages same time)

Wamphryi

Distinguished
8 GB is overkill. I have a Core 2 Quad with 8 GB RAM and an i7 with 4 GB RAM and the i7 is still 40% faster in video rendering. I have seen Superfetch cache up the 8 GB but that is the only benefit I have achieved and it doesnt seem to translate into real world performance.

G

8GB is over the amount you will need for your use, simply put, unless your 3dmax and photoshop profesional user, or like to run multiple VMware OS, then 4gb is sweet sopt..