Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Home built system I inherited that is a little beyond me with a doesnt want to s

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2009 5:07:40 AM

I inherited my stepfather and my dream system he built. It is a great machine but freezes from time to time and anytime I restart it doesnt want to start, I have to clear the bios and reset specks. From there the machine will start but once it freezes or I try and restart it it wont boot again. It doesnt show anything on screen and I have a suspicion that the cpu isnt starting.

Specks:
AMd phenom 940
asus crosshair II formula
raid5
vista64 ultimate
water cooling
2x9800gtx in sli
8gig patriot viper mem. running at 800mhz

I updated bios to newest version and problem remains. Any help would be greatly apretiated.
December 18, 2009 5:46:11 AM

I think the mobo is just a bit too tweekable for me having not been at the enthusiast level for over 5 years now. Again any help with this matter would be apretiated.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2009 5:59:52 AM

With the water cooling and that particular processor, I suspect that it may be overclocked. This can cause stability issues. Check the BIOS to see what speed your processor is currently running (default is 3.0 Ghz)

You didn't say what kind of water cooling is being used. It may require maintenance, like refilling of the coolant. This could cause instability also, although most water cooling systems have very loud alarms if something is amiss.

I wouldn't suspect the BIOS as once you are in windows, the os is pretty much controlling your system; but I could be wrong.

I would try a quick memtest also to eliminate the system ram. Sometimes a bad stick will pop up outta nowhere.

Also, sli can be tricky. I would check to ensure you have the latest nvidia drivers. If the problem persists, I would try to remove one of the video cards and see if the freezes continue.

An overclocked video card/too hot/ improper drivers could be the culprit.

System freezes can be a number of things, but heat is a likely suspect, bad/outdated drivers, or other hardwre issues could be reaponisible.

Also a borked operating system can be a software cause. Make sure your hard drive gets cleaned regularly, virus scans, removal of junk files, weekly defrag, and finally its possible that your hard drive is full. Check to see how much free space is available.

GL
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 18, 2009 6:14:41 AM

buzznut said:
With the water cooling and that particular processor, I suspect that it may be overclocked. This can cause stability issues. Check the BIOS to see what speed your processor is currently running (default is 3.0 Ghz)

You didn't say what kind of water cooling is being used. It may require maintenance, like refilling of the coolant. This could cause instability also, although most water cooling systems have very loud alarms if something is amiss.

I wouldn't suspect the BIOS as once you are in windows, the os is pretty much controlling your system; but I could be wrong.

I would try a quick memtest also to eliminate the system ram. Sometimes a bad stick will pop up outta nowhere.

Also, sli can be tricky. I would check to ensure you have the latest nvidia drivers. If the problem persists, I would try to remove one of the video cards and see if the freezes continue.

An overclocked video card/too hot/ improper drivers could be the culprit.

System freezes can be a number of things, but heat is a likely suspect, bad/outdated drivers, or other hardwre issues could be reaponisible.

Also a borked operating system can be a software cause. Make sure your hard drive gets cleaned regularly, virus scans, removal of junk files, weekly defrag, and finally its possible that your hard drive is full. Check to see how much free space is available.

GL

Thank you for the input... A little more about the system.
It has all latest drivers and bios.

I have all components set for stock timings or lower. (cpu, gpu's, mem at 800mhz where as it is a pc8500 mem)

the watercooling system is thermaltake bigwater 780e I believe and I checked the fluid level and it is corect.

Temps on everything run at very stable levels.

The biggest lead I have is when I looked at asus.com for the bios update one of the updates was to fix a problem where ... " Version 1702

Description Crosshair II Formula BIOS 1702
Fixed Phenom II CPU may not be able to boot after save and exit BIOS."

and

" Version 1802

Description Crosshair II Formula BIOS 1802
Fix the system might hang on POST if SLI-Memory is enabled in BIOS."

But the problems persist even with the "Fixed" updates for bios.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2009 11:42:38 AM

What PSU are you using? Does it always freeze while doing a particular activity, like in a game?
m
l
August 23, 2010 10:44:21 AM

ok I have whent through and taken out all the memory and tried to go with just one stick and taken out a video card and still have the same issue. Windows starts I log in and after a matter of seconds when programs are still starting it freezes. I Shut the Pc down and it wont start again untill I clear the bios settings with the switch...

Any ideas please?
m
l
September 26, 2010 1:01:03 AM

Possible cause: Windows is loading overclocking / system monitoring software which came with your motherboard, which writes invalid settings to the bios causing system failure.

Fix: Boot to safe mode, un-install the offending software.

m
l
!