Best thing to do with 3 HDDs

piemasterp

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Im trying to figure out what I want to do here. I have a Seagate Free Agent GoFlex 320GB (currently out of its case running as a SATA II Momentus 5400.6), a Seagate GoFlex Desk 3TB External drive, and a Hitachi SATA I 250GB. I was wondering if it would make sense to keep the 320GB out of the enclosure, and install windows only on it, and use the 3TB drive for all storage. If I were to do that, should I have the 3TB in it's enclosure, or would it be better off taken out and into my computer? I will be playing games, if that would make a difference in heat (Sorry, dont know too much about HDD)

With a hdd of 320gb you can put more on it than just the OS , I would put your games and most used apps on it and then use the 3tb drive for storage. I'm thinking that the sata connection would be better than the e-sata so keep the hdd's inside the case. Not going to be a big heat issue , there is usually a case fan in the front pannel and then you have a rear and possibly top venting fans.

piemasterp

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011

Oh, I know the cooling in the case is fine, I know my way around the rest of computers. I am just wondering if the 5400RPM of the 320GB HDD will make a difference. I know for a fact it is faster than my current SATA I 7200RPM in sequential read/write. What is the effect of higher RPMs if the speeds are faster? Just lower power consumption?