HAF front panel USB

Pazik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Hello.
Recently I purchased 2 new cases. One, an HAF 932 for myself, with my current semi-old parts and an upgrade on the way, and second, an HAF 922, for a computer I built for my girlfriend, almost completed (just needs dedicated video card.)

I love my case, but my question is actually about the front panel USB ports. With USB 3.0 on the way, I am starting to wonder about this. The two cases are very different; one has 4 USB slots (2 mobo headers) , 2 connected to each other, the other 2 connected to each other separately. The other case has 2 USB slots (one mobo header) separated on the front panel.

Will I be able to replace these with USB 3.0 slots without modifying the front panel, on both of these cases? or will USB 2.1 slots be able to connect to a motherboard that supports USB 3.0? If so, would it be smarter to use them along side a USB 3.0 expansion for front drive bay?

Front drive bays are no problem, as there are plenty, but I don't like the thought of having ports on the front panel that don't do anything.

Solution
I do not know if CM will offer a replacement part.

There are a few brand new motherboards that already have USB 3.0 ports. The ports on the motherboards are backward compatible with USB 2.0.

It is not necessary for a motherboard to have both types of ports. The USB 3.0 ports will work with USB 2.0 cables and devices. When a USB 2.0 device is plugged in the data is transmitted at USB 2.0 speeds instead of the faster USB 3.0 speeds.
First, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1.0. No problem there.
Current USB 2.0 devices will work with a USB 3.0 port.

Second, the pins in a USB 3.0 plug are different from the pins in a USB 2.0 plug. if you wanted to use the current front panel, then you would have to replace the USB port and cable. You would also have to have a motherboard that supports USB 3.0. That sounds simple enough but there may be another problem. I have the HAF 932. Those front panel ports are actually connected to a circuit board. The circuit board has cables connected to the motherboard. I'm not sure about that circuit board. That's the part I can't answer.

2. Your other option would be to get a bay device with USB 3.0 ports.

It took several years to develop the USB 3.0 standard. We're just beginning to see the very first motherboards and pc cases that support USB 3.0. Currently there are very few USB 3.0 devices and they are expensive. It might be better to wait for widespread implementation and price reductions.

Pazik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Those front panel ports are actually connected to a circuit board. The circuit board has cables connected to the motherboard. I'm not sure about that circuit board. That's the part I can't answer.

That is what I was afraid of. Do you think CM will put out a replacement part we can order?

It is not a concern for now, as I doubt my next motherboard will have USB 3.0 support. I guess I will end up using a drive bay, if they don't put a replacement out, because I want this case to last me more then one build.

Do you think there is a chance of seeing a Motherboard with both types of pins in the near future?

I do not know if CM will offer a replacement part.

There are a few brand new motherboards that already have USB 3.0 ports. The ports on the motherboards are backward compatible with USB 2.0.

It is not necessary for a motherboard to have both types of ports. The USB 3.0 ports will work with USB 2.0 cables and devices. When a USB 2.0 device is plugged in the data is transmitted at USB 2.0 speeds instead of the faster USB 3.0 speeds.

Solution

Pazik

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
The USB 3.0 ports will work with USB 2.0 cables and devices. When a USB 2.0 device is plugged in the data is transmitted at USB 2.0 speeds instead of the faster USB 3.0 speeds.

Ahhh, this is what I wanted to know. Sorry for any confusion in how I worded my question. At least they won't be completely useless.

bigrikk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hello there, JohnnyLucky mention earlier about getting another adapter for the USB ports on the front of the HAF 922 case. I currently have a self build that runs great with a HAF 922 case and used the ASUS P8 Z68 VPro. As you know the pins for connecting the front ports are the wrong way around on the one supplied. Any idea where I can actually buy the correct one as drawing a blank at the moment.

I am in the UK so someone who supplies the UK would be Great!!!

Rikk :)

SEA22

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
I have just purchased a haf 922 case about 5 months ago. nothing seems to be wrong until now. suddenly the front usb ports on the case no longer works. i was trying to charge my phone thinking it was the wire. until i plugged it in the back and it works fine. for some reason this seems to be a common problem.