BIOS shows drives, Win 7 Pro does not.

blukens

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I have an XFX nForce 680iLT motherboard with 8 gig. I have installed two optical drives, a TDK IDE CD/DVD burner and a new Asus BW-12B1ST Blu-RAy Writer. I also have three hard drives, two IDE and Three SATA hard drives. The power supply has been upgraded to a 750 watt OCZ Fata1ty

When I boot up the computer, the BIOS shows all my drives.

My Win7 ProOS does not recognize the two optical drives and one SATA drive.
I moved the SATA drives to different locations to see if that changed anything.

In Device Manager the SATA ASUS and the TDK CD/DVD drives show up with the yellow error exclamation saying that the drivers cannot be found bur when I check the properties is says the drivers are correct for the device.
There is also a yellow error icon for an "Unrecognizable Device"

I have deleted the three error enties but when sestarting I get the error message that the correct driver cannot be found.

I cannot find a new driver on either the ASUS or TDK websites but I think it is a setting or a situation with my Win 7 Pro.

Any ideas? Thanks!

blukens

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I tried the registry edit mentioned elsewhere in this forum and it worked. I am still trying the different functions,

I can read and use CD/DVD but I cannot yet play BluRay DVD.

I suspect the 'unknown device" is my 1.5 tb SATA hard drive that is also not recognized since the registry fix got me both CD/DVD drives.

Thanks for helping.

Does anyone know the registry edit to get the hard drive recognized?

blukens

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
The only thing that worked for me was to re-install Win 7 on a new drive. I got a good deal on a 1.5 tb WD from TigerDirect.com and then installed a fresh install of Win 7. It recognized all my drives and CD/DVD drives.

I also re-arranged my drive cables so that they were in order, i.e SATA 1, 2, & 3 and IDE 1&2. I don't think that was the thing that worked, but I didn't try my other Win 7 installation. The only bother is that now I two choices of Win 7 boot options. I figured out that the top one was my new install and the bottom one was the old install.

Good Luck, I wanted to increase my storage anyway, and it solved my drive recognition problem. There was or is probably a Registry edit that would have fixed the issue, but I did not see any specific directions online.

Bill