Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Skips BIOs?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 6, 2010 7:14:22 AM

For some reason my newly built rig now skips BIOs. Is there any reason for this? Nothing is displayed on the monitor until the Windows 7 User Login screen is reached.

Core i5 Processor 3.33ghz Core2Duo
EVGA 9800 GX2 x2(Quad SLI)
8 GB Ram OCZc
P7P55D Pro
1000w Antec True Power Quattro
2 14" Monitors (ViewSonic VA702b)

Thanks. I have a feeling it's the graphics cards but I'm not sure I what I can do about it.

More about : skips bios

a c 195 V Motherboard
July 6, 2010 7:46:23 AM

It is probably just so fast you do not notice it. With newer fast systems it can be hard to even get in BIOS it flashes by so fast. Try pushing delete a few times a second right after power on. Pretty sure you will enter BIOS.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2010 11:55:12 AM

Could be the moniter is having issues with the low (320x240) resolution that is used before the Windows loading screen? I've seen a few TV's act this way with some configs...
m
l
Related resources
July 6, 2010 7:28:06 PM

Well for the first reply, that isn't the case as the Monitor doesn't detect anything until the User Login Screen. It takes a good deal before the monitor picks up anything. I'm pretty sure it's still going through POST but nothing is displayed on the monitor.

As for Gamerk, I noticed that it still works when I put in an old GeForce 8800 but it doesn't work when I place in the GeForce 9800 GX2s in Quad SLI. So I'm guessing it rules out the monitors.

Why would the GX2s not display anything until then?
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 6, 2010 8:05:25 PM

Odd indeed, especially since until Windows proper boots, the cards are running in Software mode...so it can't possibly be drivers...

...wait, 9800GX2? Only ONE of the DVI slots will output a video signal prior to the display driver loading at windows startup; try the OTHER DVI output on the primary 9800GX2.
July 7, 2010 12:50:43 AM

Really? Wow, I'll try that out and get back to you. Didn't realize that it would make a difference.
m
l
July 7, 2010 9:32:03 AM

Its usually the top left DVI that outputs a video signal before the windows drivers load
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2010 11:57:50 AM

iLiketoEat said:
Really? Wow, I'll try that out and get back to you. Didn't realize that it would make a difference.

Yeah, I once had the same problem, and found the solution after hours of googling. Apparently, only one of the 9800GX2's DVI slots is active during boot time; the other one doesn't output anything until AFTER the driver loads, which happens during the Windows pre-boot sequence. Sounds like the issue to me...
m
l
July 7, 2010 7:12:16 PM

gamerk316 said:
Yeah, I once had the same problem, and found the solution after hours of googling. Apparently, only one of the 9800GX2's DVI slots is active during boot time; the other one doesn't output anything until AFTER the driver loads, which happens during the Windows pre-boot sequence. Sounds like the issue to me...

Ahh I see, what about using dual monitors for SLI? Should I put it on two separate cards with the one that outputs signals?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2010 8:00:56 PM

...Thats...a very good question.

I would assume that only one of the outputs for both cards (The primary output of the primary GPU) would output anything in that case, but its possible the primary output on the secondary card could display pre-boot...

Remember, the only problem is Pre-windows booting.
m
l
July 8, 2010 5:34:47 PM

Best answer selected by iLiketoEat.
m
l
July 8, 2010 5:35:21 PM

Thanks, it works. And if in Quad-SLI, only the primary outputs work. :) 
m
l
!