Sign in with
Your question

Your opinion on my upgrade plans?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 6, 2010 7:24:14 AM

Hi,
I'm stuck in a bit of a void between AM2/DDR2 and AM3/DDR3... Currently this is my rig:
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940 (3GHz quad) AM2+ (2MB L2)
RAM: 8GB DDR2-800 PC6400
Mobo: Asus M2N32 SLi Deluxe WiFi Edition (max 8GB DDR2-800, AM2+) nVidia NForce 590 SLi
GFX: Geforce GTX275

This rig has served me well and continues to do so. However, occasionally I get BSODs (with Vista 64 or Win7 64) and I suspect either the age of the motherboard or the RAM (higher capacity means more chance of failure perhaps? unless you buy real quality..?)

My question to you is: Is it worth the cash to upgrade this to:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, S AM3, 3.4GHz, 8MB Cache, 125W, Retail
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.65V
Mobo: Asus M4A89GTD PRO, AMD 890GX, S AM3, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 2000(OC), SATA 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX
GFX: Geforece GTX275

due to budget I'd be going down in memory capacity but double the clock speed/throughput.. and because the board is AM3 I'd need the new CPU.

Do you think I'll see much of an increase in performance, or will I just be future-proofing myself for future upgrades in AM3 land?

More about : opinion upgrade plans

July 6, 2010 7:54:01 AM

As far as the ram failure, there could be a bad stick. If you have 4 sticks and all the sticks are fine, then you should never have an error.. But you're right about more ram = more fail chance. That's only because the odds of you receiving a bad stick of ram in an order is doubled. I have 12gb of ram, and I can run stress tests/memtest for days and have 0 errors. Doesn't matter if its 100gb of ram, if there is no broken ram and the timings are set correctly, then there should STILL be 0 errors.

You might download memtest for windows and just test each stick seperately and find out which ram stick is causing the bluescreens... I'd run it for 8+ hours. Though, if its the ram thats the problem, then the error will probably accur in memtest within an hour. Still, if no errors, just run it for atleast 8 hours.

As far as the upgrade.. I'm not sure. Quick guess I'd say 15% increase in adverage overall performance, and more upgrade options in the future. It would vary on what you're doing. Double the ram mhz doesnt mean double the performance.
July 6, 2010 8:15:28 AM

Hey thanks for the reply.. I ran a Linux memtest disc on it and didnt see any problems.. but I didn't run it for anywhere near the length of time you suggest.

Any other opinions on the value of the upgrade? :) 

Thanks
a c 296 V Motherboard
July 6, 2010 2:53:29 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- The 965 is a little expensive, get the 955 and rise the multiplier for the same 3.4GHz.
2- That's not a good RAM the CL is very high for DDR3 go with this G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 are much better that the Corsair that u selected.
3- Do u want OC? If I'm right u need a CPU cooler and this Hyper 212+ is a good option just be sure that fit in ur case.
4- Good GPU

P.D. The BSoD usually means RAM or drivers.
!