Sign in with
Your question

USB micro connectors

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
November 26, 2011 8:07:37 AM

I had a hard time deciding where to put this.

I have several external hard drives, mostly WD plus 1 Seagate. They all use the same micro USB connector.

A couple of years ago, I bought an upper end, point-and-shoot, digital camera (Olympus , if it matters). It has a different micro USB connector.

Last year, my company gave me a hand-me-down Blackberry. It has yet another micro USB connector.

I recently bought a Kindle. It has its own different micro USB connector.

/start rant
So I basically have 4 different kinds of devices, each requiring a different micro USB connector.
What is wrong with these people?
/end rant

More about : usb micro connectors

November 26, 2011 11:43:26 AM

That's strange. All my devices (e-book reader, card reader, external HDD etc.) have same connectors. Exceptions are camera (and my mp3 player, but that doesn't even have a microUSB, it's a specific iRiver connector) and some of my Wi-Fi toys (USB access point, ADSL modem).

Quite a few of those bastards... which ones do you have? :D 

Starting from the left, 3rd is the most widespread one, hence the best :)  The last one is what my Wi-Fi toys have and the second one is what the camera has.
a c 415 G Storage
November 26, 2011 3:38:20 PM

The reason that digital cameras often have a unique connector is that recent cameras have tended to integrate their video out connections into the USB connector in order to save space. Of course that requires a connector with more pins.

But I agree with you 100%, a "standard" that keeps changing isn't really a standard at all.
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 26, 2011 5:59:04 PM

sminlal, I agree that the digital camera might need a different USB connector, but the other end (the big end on mine) has the standard 4 pins - VCC, Gnd, and +/- data.

amk, I'll send pictures. It may be a few days because I just got back from vacation :(  and it's going to take me a while to get caught up.

OTOH, at least I have a job :bounce:  to be on vacation from.
a c 415 G Storage
November 27, 2011 3:00:08 AM

jsc said:
sminlal, I agree that the digital camera might need a different USB connector, but the other end (the big end on mine) has the standard 4 pins - VCC, Gnd, and +/- data.
Well of course that will be true if you plug the supplied USB cable into the camera. It's not true if you plug the supplied A/V cable into the same socket on the camera, though...
a b G Storage
November 27, 2011 6:50:14 PM

That's true. I just rechecked the camera box. And I do have another cable (micro USB to video and audio phono plugs.

(Hey. I forgot. This is the first time I looked inside the camera box in nearly 3 years.)
!