I want network access to ALL folders and files

Running XP on multiple networked computers.

Once upon a time, I could get to any folder or file I wanted from any
machine to any other.
At some point, XP stopped allowing me access (over the network) to folder
and files it considers system files. Now I get a message saying to "Contact
the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Access is denied."

In most cases, this isn't very annoying, but I really want to be able to get
into the Program Files folder and its subfolders.

Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about network access folders files

    If you are having a server then i would suggest that
    you input the server IP address to the properties
    of the network adaptor where you key in the
    DNS and put on first priority. under the DNS tab,
    the dns also need to be registeres.

    At the server side make sure that the user ID are
    all in the active user directory for all the networked
    XP machine.

    Edwin Loo

    If this is not a case of a server run network but a peer-to-peer network,
    then you have a different situation.
    With the new securities installed with current updates, I found the best way
    was to add a login to each computer with the same username and password,
    then edit the main shared folders properties to allow that login
    specifically.
    Do this for each shared resourse on all computers.

    This is secure so that no one from the net can just hop on and grab your
    info from your systems, but makes sure YOU have access to any computer in
    the small network.

    Note: This is successful on XP Pro, but you do not get the advanced control
    on XP home machines. XP Home is limited in share and the new securities
    with SP2 make it a little more challenging to make it work.

    A friend of mine resorts to third party software to share resources between
    XP Home machines.

    "Edwin Loo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If you are having a server then i would suggest that
    > you input the server IP address to the properties
    > of the network adaptor where you key in the
    > DNS and put on first priority. under the DNS tab,
    > the dns also need to be registeres.
    >
    > At the server side make sure that the user ID are
    > all in the active user directory for all the networked
    > XP machine.
    >
    > Edwin Loo

    Thank you, Edwin. I apologize for not describing my problem with enough
    detail. This is a simple peer-to-peer network.

    "Edwin Loo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If you are having a server then i would suggest that
    > you input the server IP address to the properties
    > of the network adaptor where you key in the
    > DNS and put on first priority. under the DNS tab,
    > the dns also need to be registeres.
    >
    > At the server side make sure that the user ID are
    > all in the active user directory for all the networked
    > XP machine.

    Thanks, greyhwk. Yep, the network is peer-to-peer, and all machines are
    running XP Home.
    So which third party software is your friend using?

    "greyhwk" <greyhwk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If this is not a case of a server run network but a peer-to-peer network,
    > then you have a different situation.
    > With the new securities installed with current updates, I found the best
    > way was to add a login to each computer with the same username and
    > password, then edit the main shared folders properties to allow that login
    > specifically.
    > Do this for each shared resourse on all computers.
    >
    > This is secure so that no one from the net can just hop on and grab your
    > info from your systems, but makes sure YOU have access to any computer in
    > the small network.
    >
    > Note: This is successful on XP Pro, but you do not get the advanced
    > control on XP home machines. XP Home is limited in share and the new
    > securities with SP2 make it a little more challenging to make it work.
    >
    > A friend of mine resorts to third party software to share resources
    > between XP Home machines.
    >

    > "Edwin Loo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> If you are having a server then i would suggest that
    >> you input the server IP address to the properties
    >> of the network adaptor where you key in the
    >> DNS and put on first priority. under the DNS tab,
    >> the dns also need to be registeres.
    >>
    >> At the server side make sure that the user ID are
    >> all in the active user directory for all the networked
    >> XP machine.
    >>
    >> Edwin Loo

    Not sure. I generally stay away from that when possible. lol
    I only use Pro on all my machines.

    I will say that www.download.com is a good source of a large assortment of
    share, free, and trialware that is tested. You can read reviews of
    customers and even try out stuff that is mainstream.

    Wish I could give you a better answer than that. I know that when he comes
    to visit, and links in with my network, he can see and access the resources
    on my XP machines most times, but we cannot always get to his shared
    resources.

    Limitations of Home as compared to Pro, it seems.

    I will see if I can get hold of him tonight and then post his resonse.

    "Steven Myers" <tididitDELETEALLCAPS@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks, greyhwk. Yep, the network is peer-to-peer, and all machines are
    > running XP Home.
    > So which third party software is your friend using?
    >
    > "greyhwk" <greyhwk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> If this is not a case of a server run network but a peer-to-peer network,
    >> then you have a different situation.
    >> With the new securities installed with current updates, I found the best
    >> way was to add a login to each computer with the same username and
    >> password, then edit the main shared folders properties to allow that
    >> login specifically.
    >> Do this for each shared resourse on all computers.
    >>
    >> This is secure so that no one from the net can just hop on and grab your
    >> info from your systems, but makes sure YOU have access to any computer in
    >> the small network.
    >>
    >> Note: This is successful on XP Pro, but you do not get the advanced
    >> control on XP home machines. XP Home is limited in share and the new
    >> securities with SP2 make it a little more challenging to make it work.
    >>
    >> A friend of mine resorts to third party software to share resources
    >> between XP Home machines.
    >>

    >> "Edwin Loo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> If you are having a server then i would suggest that
    >>> you input the server IP address to the properties
    >>> of the network adaptor where you key in the
    >>> DNS and put on first priority. under the DNS tab,
    >>> the dns also need to be registeres.
    >>>
    >>> At the server side make sure that the user ID are
    >>> all in the active user directory for all the networked
    >>> XP machine.
    >>>
    >>> Edwin Loo

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Here is a site with more info that may be of use to you. Since I am a
    recognized OEM System Builder, I will not post some of this info in this
    forum so MS does not get mad at me. lol

    Disclaimer: I am independant of this linked site and do not agree with all
    info found on it. I am only linking this as further outside information
    on the current thread.

    Greyhwk

    "Steven Myers" <tididitDELETEALLCAPS@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks, greyhwk. Yep, the network is peer-to-peer, and all machines are
    > running XP Home.
    > So which third party software is your friend using?
    >
    > "greyhwk" <greyhwk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> If this is not a case of a server run network but a peer-to-peer network,
    >> then you have a different situation.
    >> With the new securities installed with current updates, I found the best
    >> way was to add a login to each computer with the same username and
    >> password, then edit the main shared folders properties to allow that
    >> login specifically.
    >> Do this for each shared resourse on all computers.
    >>
    >> This is secure so that no one from the net can just hop on and grab your
    >> info from your systems, but makes sure YOU have access to any computer in
    >> the small network.
    >>
    >> Note: This is successful on XP Pro, but you do not get the advanced
    >> control on XP home machines. XP Home is limited in share and the new
    >> securities with SP2 make it a little more challenging to make it work.
    >>
    >> A friend of mine resorts to third party software to share resources
    >> between XP Home machines.
    >>

    >> "Edwin Loo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> If you are having a server then i would suggest that
    >>> you input the server IP address to the properties
    >>> of the network adaptor where you key in the
    >>> DNS and put on first priority. under the DNS tab,
    >>> the dns also need to be registeres.
    >>>
    >>> At the server side make sure that the user ID are
    >>> all in the active user directory for all the networked
    >>> XP machine.
    >>>
    >>> Edwin Loo

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Ack, forgot to put in the site link

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Q_20509668.html

Configuration Network Access Windows XP