Sign in with
Your question

When to build, and how much to save?

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2009 1:08:14 PM

Hi all, first off let me thank anyone taking the time to read my questions. Now let me get to it. Currently my computer meets all of my needs, besides the graphics card but I'll be upgrading that once Nvidia releases their next line. What I would like to do it build a completely new rig in two or three years. I am assuming that will be when USB 3.0, PCI-E 3.0, 6 core processors, etc will all be standard, not as expensive, and actually have full support rather than just being the new expensive hot ticket item. So, I plan on putting some money into a savings account. I was going to start this account very soon. I just don't know how much I should do a week, and for how long :-/ Like I said my current build meets all my needs. I've put around $800 into it. So how much should I aim to save for my next build? If I go two years, at $10 a week that will add up to be about a grand give or take, add to that my tax returns that I put into my savings I'd say I could give myself a budget of about $1500. If I wait three years, I can give myself a budget of about $2000. So, can I get some opinions on what I should do? Should I even shoot for a budget of $1500? I know we don't know what the prices are going to be like, but I assume they won't be much different from today's. Once again thanks for taking the time to read this, I know they are some odd questions. I however have a lot of free time being on medical leave, and think about this stuff a lot :kaola: 

More about : build save

December 18, 2009 1:32:32 PM

What's your current specs?
m
l
December 18, 2009 1:35:23 PM

AMD Phenom II x4 940, 4g ddr2 800, 9800gt
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2009 1:35:30 PM

I'd shoot for a budget of $2,000. You probably won't need this, but I wouldn't expect that the newest tech will be any cheaper than the current high end builds. Right now, I'd consider $2,000 to get the high end builds without spending something ridiculous.

Besides, it's better to have too much than too little. Also, if you save more for it now, you'll earn more interest, so you won't have to actually put as much away later.
m
l
December 18, 2009 1:38:01 PM

So $2000 in three years, that's what I was leaning towards. Thanks!
m
l
!