Gpu not recgonized on startup

quip13

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with my gtx285. I have the msi superpipe edition, which has 2 fans on it. When the computer works, the fans immediately spin fast and make a lot of noise, but then slow down and quiet down abit. Then monitor lights up and it boots up.

However, now when I turn it on, the fans spin really fast and never slow down. The monitor also doesn't get any signal, however the computer boots because I can hear the windows 7 chime in my speakers.

I can get it to work if I let it boot into the operating system and then hit the power button, which shuts it down. Then if I turn it on, it works.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Specs:

Asus P6t deluxe v2 mobo
MSI superpipe OC gtx285
OCZ gold 6gb @ 1333mhz
i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
Corsair 850w
Coolermaster v8

Any help would be much appreciated

quip13

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I don't have an extra monitor around and the monitor would not explain the fan issue.
I am wondering if the card is faulty and I should get a replacement.

quip13

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Well I actually plugged my card into another PCIe slot on my mobo and it functioned properly...so it may be my motherboard
I'm thinking of replacing both my mobo and card. Any last thoughts before I get a replacement?

Thx a lot, you've been really helpful

Okay, if your card is working on the other pcie slot then it's ok, do u want to SLI?
IF u do then u must get a new mobo, if u don't then it's ok to continue with your mobo...

Before u buy a new mobo, just try to update the mobo's driver first, if that not help then your mobo is not function properly...